Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

Yea thats a nice thing as well. I think the AL will be my stop today and then Ill try Port 44 depending on how the AL goes. I enjoy Brick City, but it gets so jammed. Its nice to have a little elbow room.

Probably will head down about 4-5. I just ride PATH.

True. Its more just the congestion right around the arena being that close to BC. I really want to try something different. I figure arriving a little earlier will be fun too as I tend to arrive an hour before the game and everything is likely to the rafters then. Its always good to be around other fans at any rate. Ive not been a regular home game attendant for 8 years, so The Rock and Newark are all new to me. This is game #5 for me, all this season.

From the Uber Burger thread but I'll put it here too...

Ate here tonight, loved it. Had an Uber Burger with American, fries, and a black and white shake. Was pretty full at 5:45 then emptied out by 6:15. Haven't had official opening yet, will be after liquor license which hopefully comes next week. Will have Bud, Coors, and specialty beers at $5 for 16oz.

The real target market IMO will be families at the practice rink when there are youth games. Has burgers, shakes, fries, grilled cheese, kids menu, plus items at Brick City Coffee which shares the same space. They just opened 8 days ago so they're still working out the kinks but I give it an A. I highly recommend you check it out.

• 1 month later...

Went to Uber Burger last night. It was good but I spent $13 and had to wait 37 minutes for my food. That place should give me a coupon for something free because all my friends were done eating and got the same thing as me while I had to wait an extra 20 minutes to get my food from the time they finished.

Went to Uber Burger last night. It was good but I spent $13 and had to wait 37 minutes for my food. That place should give me a coupon for something free because all my friends were done eating and got the same thing as me while I had to wait an extra 20 minutes to get my food from the time they finished.

I don't think they realized how popular a burger place next to the Rock would be on game nights, but I'm glad it's doing well.. It's a bit pricey but it's definitely a good burger

Im going to check out Port 44, any recommendation on there beer selections?

Depends on what you like. Goldfinch Ale is probably the safest bet. Devils Red is a little too hoppy and citrusy for my taste, but a lot of people like it. Longy's Stout is excellent, but not for the faint of heart as it's packed with toasted malty goodness. The IPA is good if you like IPAs. Never tried the Siren Wheat.

The real deal is in their seasonals. They had a Catskill Hop Harvest for a while, which was the best brew they had on tap IMO. Then it switched to a Pomegranate Wheat, which was also excellent. Not sure what they have now, but those two seasonals have set the bar pretty high.

Ive been to Brick City plenty of times, thats likely my target, was hoping for something a little more off the beaten path.

Havent been to the AL yet, so I may hit that up. Thanks guys. The 3-9 Happy hour sounds like a great idea lol.

Heard of Port 44 as well. Ill put it on the list.

Im just tired of Brick City really. Ive not ventured away from The Rock much, but Im trying to be more adventurous.

Do they really have $2 beer specials on game day? I heard this once before but didn't believe it.

Forgot to mention this but the last few games I've noticed a new BBQ place going up on Broad St. a couple blocks south of the arena. It's Ol' West BBQ. This place is already in Annandale on Route 31 and it RULES. Awesome ribs, brisket, and wings. Really nice seeing them open a place in Newark. Here's where it's gonna be:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Ol'+West+BBQ+Newark&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Ol'+West+BBQ&hnear=Newark,+NJ&cid=6911103382512383321

Here's a link to their bare bones website: http://www.olwestbbq31.com/

Do they really have $2 beer specials on game day? I heard this once before but didn't believe it.

They have $2 happy hour specials. The sign says it doesn't apply on event days but the times I've been the deal was on before the game, so I don't know if that'll be permanent.

• 1 month later...

Don't think it's necessary to start a thread. Dinosaur BBQ is coming to Market St. next to championship plaza for next season:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dining/index.ssf/2011/03/dinosaur_bar-b-que_coming_to_n.html

That'll be great. Nice that they'll be restoring the original details of the building.