The Rock 07

Revitalization Around The Rock

1,387 posts in this topic

How's the Prudential Center expected to do with the arena in Brooklyn competing with it now?

Wawa are going to be saturating the north with many stores in the coming years. Kind of sad as I'd like them to remain a Central/South jersey thing :P

Prudential center is doing just fine as MSG is MSG so Brooklyn and the Rock represent a two stop stayin the area for most acts. I think the larger issue of owernship needs to be sorted to see how much is invested in hitting that target date of 250 events.

As for development there will be alot to see once the season opens as you should start to see the steel come out of the ground at the new Pru building and miltary park rennovations will be moved along. Add to that teh crab shack as well as hopefully Indigo by the end of year and you will have new restuarants and buildings churning along.

teachers village has their website up and I have to give credit to RBH, they are moving a ton of stuff along and it's refreshing to see. Between them, Hanini, Fidelco and Prudential, you have to be excited about the changes coming along.

teachers village has their website up and I have to give credit to RBH, they are moving a ton of stuff along and it's refreshing to see. Between them, Hanini, Fidelco and Prudential, you have to be excited about the changes coming along.

You reminded me that I took some pictures down there on Friday while I was getting lunch!

Teachers Village from Halsey St.and I gotta say it even looks a hell of a lot better in person. Nice buildings, new sidewalks, a bunch of trees planted. It'll kill my free parking but I can't wait to see what businesses pop up around this thing.. It'll also help push crime out of that area making the area around PruCenter that much safer

qysy6u6y.jpg

a6a8a5a2.jpg

Damn I thought I took one of the Prudential construction.. Not much to report right now though as its a giant dirt pit.. Oh well, still very exciting to see all of this construction in Newark

Edited by Colin226

Nice pics, Colin! The area is indeed looking good.

Ya the Prudential is going to be crazy when it goes up. They were reporting that the will have it up by the end of next year so we shall see.

The Panasonic building is pretty much complete. I think it's actually unofficially open, in that some employees have moved in this week. While not very tall or original, the tower came out looking pretty nice. Now, let's get those employees coming out to games this season.

The Panasonic building is pretty much complete. I think it's actually unofficially open, in that some employees have moved in this week. While not very tall or original, the tower came out looking pretty nice. Now, let's get those employees coming out to games this season.

Let's get the Panasonic Tower open at the PruCenter's Lafayette entrance.. I really hope they come on as a major sponsor of the team!

One of the abandoned buildings (corner of lafeyette and Columbus) was torn down this past week. Woo hoo! 1 unslightly building down, a whooooole bunch to go!

Wow, I remember about 5 years ago I did a partial demolition package for the Hahne's and Griffith buildings.  It was a very problematic demolition due to the basements & parking garages that were to be maintained.  Never went through due to cost and historic reasons. 

Ya there is going to be alot of tax credit financing along pru financing to make this happen but it will because the developers involved and it being Pru's neighbor.

In another note, I noticed it hasnt realky been mentioned that our new owners company also owns and manges a few properties in newark already. Hopefully he will get in on the arena district redevelopment as well.

Ya there is going to be alot of tax credit financing along pru financing to make this happen but it will because the developers involved and it being Pru's neighbor.

In another note, I noticed it hasnt realky been mentioned that our new owners company also owns and manges a few properties in newark already. Hopefully he will get in on the arena district redevelopment as well.

Very interesting.. I didn't know that.. Do you happen to know which properties?

Off the top of my head no, I remember them presenting at a business forum after their acquisitions talking about how they viewed Newark and Urban markets as Domestic emerging markets. Honestly, the guy presenting came off a bit arrogant but they were investing in the city so I gave it all a pass. From what I remeber though it was a couple of large apartmetn complex properties in the South Ward possibly near Wequihanic park.

On a cool note I was down by the river yesterday and not only is the new park opened between freeman and Jackson but the old gas site is looking pretty good (Jackson to the horizon building). Hopefully, we will be celebrating opening that section by next year. In further positive news the walkway between the Clairmont (fbi building) and Penn station is already in and just needs to be opened.

Sounds from that article like they're wanting to build a new station at the airport. Why not use the existing Newark Airport Station that NJ Transit and Amtrak use?

Also, I only support this if it means a new station for South Street in Newark. Otherwise this move only really benefits Lower Manhattan and Jersey City.

Sounds from that article like they're wanting to build a new station at the airport. Why not use the existing Newark Airport Station that NJ Transit and Amtrak use?

Also, I only support this if it means a new station for South Street in Newark. Otherwise this move only really benefits Lower Manhattan and Jersey City.

I would think it might be because the PATH uses a third rail and maybe they don't want to mix and match power sources for that line.

I would think it might be because the PATH uses a third rail and maybe they don't want to mix and match power sources for that line.

I understand that, but in that case just add a platform to the existing Airport Station. Why build a whole new station?

Saw this on WiredNewYork.com.  A pdf magazine of Newark. Joe Piscopo is opening a (comedy/lounge/night) club on Edison Place. Which I think is really cool. And some stuff on the Devils and Red Bulls.

http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?i=172677

I really hope Edison Place turns into our version of Yawkey Way in Boston. It's already well on its way, but it needs more. If it could get some outdoor vendors (food, beer, merchandise) on the street and some music playing too. That would just be awesome. Let the bars there sell beer and food outside. The Devils can sell stuff, and maybe get a good food cart out there. I know we have Championship Plaza, but I think it should continue around the corner and up Edison. Just start with Opening Day and good weather weekend games.  The Devils are just wasting space on that side of the arena.

I wish they had made the Devils Den bigger instead of having the PNC Bank right there. You can't move in there on game night. And they're just losing money not putting in some kind of bar restaurant down there. One that the whole front opens in nicer weather. It's plenty warm in October and April through the playoffs. I'm not saying during Jan / Feb.  And all those other bars right there should have front windows that open up to the street and some outdoor seating too.

post-729-0-26893600-1379174650_thumb.png

post-729-0-85217600-1379176459_thumb.png

post-729-0-55783400-1379176482_thumb.png

If this only extends the Path with one stop at the airport, it's an epic fail. This really needs to result in 3-4 new stops that could revitalize the southern downtown, South Ironbound, and ultimately the South Ward. I have always thought, South st, Pioneer, Frelenheisen and the Airport. I will wait till this is officially announced wiht the capital plan before I celebrate.

In other great news, The Prudential site is chugging along and Cablevision just broke ground on their new building. I think the Indigo is about half a year off from opening so we should see lots of new places over the next year or two. Oh..rumor millon wired has Chipolte opening up next to Dino.