Devils sign Leach, DiSalvatore, Wiseman

Richer's Ghost

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2008/07...s-sign-lea.html

The Devils announced today that they have signed defenseman Jay Leach and forwards Jon DiSalvatore and Chad Wiseman. All three are expected to play in Lowell of the American Hockey League.

In addition, defenseman Matt Cohen and forwards Tyler Burton, Eric Castonguay and Brad Mills signed contracts with the Lowell Devils.

Leach, 28, played two NHL games last season with Tampa Bay and 75 games in the AHL with Portland and Norfolk. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Syracuse, N.Y. native has played in four career NHL games (two with Boston in 2005-06) and registered no points and seven penalty minutes.

DiSalvatore, 27, notched 22 goals, 24 assists and 46 penalty minutes in 66 games last season with San Antonio of the AHL. The 6-1, 200-pound right wing was drafted 104th overall in 2000 by San Jose. The former Providence College standout got in five NHL games with St. Louis in 2005-06 and did not register a point.

Wiseman, 27, played last season for Wolfsburg in Germany. The 6-1, 210-pound left wing played in four NHL games for the Rangers in 2003-04 and scored one goal and has played in nine total NHL games, posting one goal and one assist.

Cohen, Mills and Castonguay all played for Lowell and Trenton (ECHL) last season. Burton played six games for Lowell (one goal, one assist) after leading the ECAC with 23 goals and 41 points in his senior season at Colgate.

OK. Stocking up on Lowell Devils players. Good thing I guess.

Yeah, some depth for Lowell. This announcement explains a post from about a week ago about Leach being a Devil.

Well this is good, if nothing else, to say that a few Lowell players might get a call up...or not. But they are some good enough players, and Lowell sure as heck needs it.

I know we talked about Jay Leach earlier this summer, so I'm glad we picked him up. Pelley might be gone...although they don't figure in for salary, I'm just not sure how it's gonna work with him. This works for the most part though.

Out of the three players signed Wiseman has the NHL experience and the Devils may see him during the season if there are some injuries to some of the starters. Wiseman could be called up for a few games or so IMO.

I know DiSalvatore played a few games for the Blues, too.