Slats head scratching summer

MantaRay

i started the personal shots, my fault.

and yes, just for fun keep the quote.

and i am afraid of zherdev this season, he is nasty. that's probably the only good move you guys have done this season

I agree. And may I say - for the 1,000th time - I HATE the Redden deal.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So I compiled some pics from gettyimages of Marty and Henrik. I tried to find pics that were the same size and as close as possible to a similar shot. I found a profile shot to compare shoulder and chest protectors, a standing non-action shot to compare leg pads, and a butt shot via goal cam to compare goalie pants. Just interesting and gives some visuals to our discussion this afternoon.

Henrik standing

73326149.jpg

Marty standing

78275667.jpg

Henrik profile

80534477.jpg

Marty profile

77841104.jpg

Henrik Butt

80881081.jpg

Marty Butt :uni::wub:

74019645.jpg

Ok. So I compiled some pics from gettyimages of Marty and Henrik. I tried to find pics that were the same size and as close as possible to a similar shot. I found a profile shot to compare shoulder and chest protectors, a standing non-action shot to compare leg pads, and a butt shot via goal cam to compare goalie pants. Just interesting and gives some visuals to our discussion this afternoon.

Henrik profile

80534477.jpg

Marty profile

77841104.jpg

so who's the real fatso

this proves it :boogie:

and i am afraid of zherdev this season, he is nasty. that's probably the only good move you guys have done this season

Im not that nervous of Zherdev, he is a great player but he is really lazy. If he shapes up then maybe he will be something to be nervous of, but he really needs to wake up and realize the talent he has. Hes shown it in bits and pieces, so he could do it.

It's fun watching the rags self-destruct. It seems like whenever they get a taste of being semi-good they go and fvck it up. You know, comparable to a premature ejaculation. Only 1 year have they gotten it right in the past 68 years. Cue the Joker's sarcastic clap.

Can someone answer me a question, because I've failed to figure this one out.

Ok...people complain about the "crazy" thigh guards that up from the "thigh" and are used predominately by butterfly goalies so when they "close" their legs per se, the gap is immediately shut. Ok, so I can see how those can benefit the 5-hole.

...but if a goalie extends his leg to make a pad save, how can a thigh guard which (again) is at the thigh, assist in a PAD save that hits near his shin.

Hmm....

Anybody who's ever read the NHL's rules on goalie equipment should know that it's about protecting the player, not about protecting the puck.

Look back at goalies 20 years ago, that's where it is intended to be. Basically, they should be like a regular player, nearly as mobile, just with extra padding so they're not injured. Even ten years ago, pads weren't huge, and you still had goalies who genuinely couldn't cover so much of the net. Watch Classic NHL on NHL Network, and see goalies like Andy Moog who were just like regular players, even in the nineties.

But this is what bothers me about the trapezoid rule. Besides the fact that it limits talent, it also ruins the goalie being part of play because it confines them to a very small area they can play in. They no longer can move, so they no longer need to move, so they start to look like Michelin men to protect "themselves." I know it's all within the rules but that's not the intention of the rule. I hope the NHL recognizes that.

I don't fault Henrik or those who defend him. It's the league's fault for letting it get out of hand, and stupid rules like trapezoid rule just put salt in the wound. They better get their act together and fix it, because it's so drastically different now...the league wants to influence scoring? Only one thing has changed in the last ten years, and it should be pretty obvious by now what it is.

Anybody who's ever read the NHL's rules on goalie equipment should know that it's about protecting the player, not about protecting the puck.

Look back at goalies 20 years ago, that's where it is intended to be. Basically, they should be like a regular player, nearly as mobile, just with extra padding so they're not injured. Even ten years ago, pads weren't huge, and you still had goalies who genuinely couldn't cover so much of the net. Watch Classic NHL on NHL Network, and see goalies like Andy Moog who were just like regular players, even in the nineties.

But this is what bothers me about the trapezoid rule. Besides the fact that it limits talent, it also ruins the goalie being part of play because it confines them to a very small area they can play in. They no longer can move, so they no longer need to move, so they start to look like Michelin men to protect "themselves." I know it's all within the rules but that's not the intention of the rule. I hope the NHL recognizes that.

I don't fault Henrik or those who defend him. It's the league's fault for letting it get out of hand, and stupid rules like trapezoid rule just put salt in the wound. They better get their act together and fix it, because it's so drastically different now...the league wants to influence scoring? Only one thing has changed in the last ten years, and it should be pretty obvious by now what it is.

Agreed

That was actually Islander's owner Charles Wang's idea. He proposed to get sumo wrestlers and use them as goalies.

...taken directly from The Mighty Ducks! Good ol' Goldberg...creator of the "Fat kid = goalie" stereotype for years to come.

I hate that movie.

That idea pre-dates both Wang and the Mighty Ducks. It's been around hockey for a long long time. There's also a scene in the Running Man with a Sumo sized goalie. At any rate, here's a hilarious article about it, where they tested out the theory with the Capitals a couple years back:

Could a morbidly obese goalie shut out an NHL team?

The guy who wrote that is a jackass, he takes unnecessary jabs at the sport throughout the entire article and I can't believe he actually called up the NHL office to ask such an idiotic question.

Maybe HE is a morbidly fat guy and looking to augment his $100 per week job as a writer. ;)

...and another 2nd round exit. have fun missing the playoffs this year, and if you somehow do slip in, you won't make it past the first round.

You do recall that the Devils couldn't beat the Rangers to save their life last year, correct?

This is actually a pretty terrible article, I can't believe you guys are agreeing with it - it's full of all the horrid Brooksian logic we've come to know and love.

Shanahan and Avery give Brooks good quotes, and two of the three new guys are foreigners - that's for starters.

I was a pro shop manager for 15 years, and worked with a minor league goalie who also palyed in the Russian league. In the NHL, there are limits on the size of the leg pads, width and length. Some goalies use the longest leg pads available to them, mostly the more non-moblie goalies. A goaltender that like to chase the puck and challenge shooters will use a shorter leg pad for added mobility. Both are within the rules. All goalie pads are measured before games, usage and water cause some pads to shrink.

I would like to see regulations on the size of catching gloves, they are more like peach baskets with webbing. As far as the trapezoid, get rif of it, but all goalies become fair game. With the fantastic advancements in equipment, they can stad to be hit a few times!

You do recall that the Devils couldn't beat the Rangers to save their life last year, correct?

You do recall that the Rangers team this year is completely different than the team last year, correct?

Edited by devils26

I was a pro shop manager for 15 years, and worked with a minor league goalie who also palyed in the Russian league. In the NHL, there are limits on the size of the leg pads, width and length. Some goalies use the longest leg pads available to them, mostly the more non-moblie goalies. A goaltender that like to chase the puck and challenge shooters will use a shorter leg pad for added mobility. Both are within the rules. All goalie pads are measured before games, usage and water cause some pads to shrink.

I would like to see regulations on the size of catching gloves, they are more like peach baskets with webbing. As far as the trapezoid, get rif of it, but all goalies become fair game. With the fantastic advancements in equipment, they can stad to be hit a few times!

I like the idea of letting goalies be fair game in theory, the only problem is the equipment isn't designed to absorb hits. And yea catching gloves are ridiculous.

Where were you a pro shop manager? I work at one now.

Goalies can't be fair game. I still can't believe that idea comes up from time to time. Sure lets have the guy with all the awkward padding on have guys hit them full force and lets watch a lot of the leagues star goalies go down with knee problems. It would add almost no extra interest in the game but would provide the odd horrific injury that would put less talent in the league and dissapoint a fanbase.

i wasn't aware that last year effected this year. and while we're on the topic of track records, you do recall the rangers couldn't beat the devils to save their lives for...i don't know TEN YEARS!

Goalies can't be fair game. I still can't believe that idea comes up from time to time. Sure lets have the guy with all the awkward padding on have guys hit them full force and lets watch a lot of the leagues star goalies go down with knee problems. It would add almost no extra interest in the game but would provide the odd horrific injury that would put less talent in the league and dissapoint a fanbase.

Yea that's why it sounds good in theory, but wouldn't actually work.

Goalies used to be fair game at one time in the dim, dark past of hockey. If they came out of the net to play the puck ANYWHERE, they were wide open for destruction by the forward or dman that came into their end of the ice intent on mayhem directed at the crease critters.

In a word, there were no such words as goalie obstruction unless it actually occured IN THE CREASE. To my bloody chagrin, the damn league did away with that in an effort to cover their asses in the wake of the Hull No Goal debacle against the Mad Goats in the SC finals. Brett was IN Hasek's crease when he scored that goal and the league did nothing about it accept to rewrite the rulebook. I'll never forgive them for that as long as I live. Lord Stanley must be performing handstands and somersaults in his grave.

If the league is intent on taking the goalies out of the equation wrt playing the puck in their end of the ice, take a journey back to the days of the Wild West, do away with not allowing goalies to be touched OUTSIDE THE CREASE, and believe me the critters will not venture into the corners or ANYWHERE for that matter OUTSIDE OF THE CREASE in search of the ever illusive puck for fear of getting their clocks cleaned and their bodies bent into pretzel shapes.

There was a day................believe me there was a day, when goalies lived in fear of getting drilled or knew that they would and didn't give a flying rat's hind leg and ventured out anyway.

:blink:

Agreed. Also why the hell is a ranger fan in a DEVILS FORUM? :noclue:

Because, no exaggeration now, he is the greatest person...ever.

Seriously. Ask him about the time he pushed a 12-year-old Devils fan away from in front of a speeding bus.