Favorite moments at Devils games

JPntsca

I'm a little bored right now, and at the beginning of the summer I read an article about things you hate at games, so I figured I would ask and see what people actually enjoy about the games, or what their best memory is.

Personally its a toss up for me, there were like 3 occasions. Once I was on line to get food when my cup fall off the tray and I stopped it in mid air and nothing split, a Ranger fan looked over at me and said he thought I should be in goal for them, lol. Also during Crosby's first game and the Parises better chant started. Also there was one Rangers-Devils game I went to where an Islander fan showed up, the Rangers fans gave them crap and then like all the Devils fans surrounded the Islanders fan and like had his back, I thought that was awesome. I don't know I'm just pumped for the season, and Ive been curious as to what other experiences like this anyone else has had and wants to share.

Well one of my favorite moments came in the bathroom during I think the first Ranger-Devil playoff game in Prudential Center. In the bathrooms on the upper level, tons of drunk Devils and Rangers fans were in line for the urinals with me. I believe it was the second intermission and it was tied, and one particularly large Ranger fan wearing a Gomez jersey goes to me "The Rangers are gonna win again after overtime after it goes into a shootout, and Gomez is gonna put it past Brodeur for the game-winner. I love shootouts!" With a big stupid grin on his face. I just look at him, laugh and go "how many overtimes until the shootout?" And he says "one, five minutes." I look at him and go, "Wow, the quintessential Ranger fan, who doesn't know that in the playoffs there is no shootout, and no chance for Gomez to ice Brodeur one-on-one." With the grin wiped off his face he turned to his compatriots and asked them "wait, c'mon, there's a shootout after overtime isn't there?" The Ranger fans all shrugged, while the Devils fans just yelled "No you retard!" The blue section of the bathroom got pretty quiet, for a few minutes at least. I love silencing stupid fans.

Well one was the first ever game I went to with my father back 10 years ago vs the Senators. I remember I made a Devils poster out of the players' cards and they wouldn't let me bring it in the CAA and they told me to pick it up after the game.. I never did.

Hmm lets see.. I remember McKenzie beating the hell out of Tie Domi the year after Domi did that cheap shot to Neids.. i was @ that game

And the home opener vs Toronto in 2007 when the Devils cameback down 6-3 to win 7-6 in a SO, Gionta with a hat-trick in the 3rd period.. incredible game, and i was there for that one

My first game @ the Rock was vs the Flyers in early November.. Zubrus scored his first couple goals as a Devil and I think Pelley had one and Biron got chased after like 2 periods ..

Edited by nmigliore

The first game I ever went to sold me on this team. Late in the third the ref blew a call and the entire crowd got up and chanted "bullsh*t! bullsh*t!" I was young at the time so this was possibly the greatest thing I ever heard. We ended up sneaking down from seats only a few rows from the rafters to ones about 6 away from the ice. The Devils ended up winning and as we were leaving the CAA I told my dad to stop taking me to Nets games and that we should do this from now on.

Where to begin? I could write a book on the memorable moments I've had at Devils games, but if I had to choose just one it would probably be Scott Stevens night. Toward the end of his speech, Stevens got a little choked up and had to pause for a moment. My buddy and I for some reason just started screaming "SCOTTY STEVENS" at the top of our lungs. Before we knew it, the whole arena joined in and the chant seemed to last forever. I still love watching the

where, before the chant is really audible to the TV mics, Stevens looks up to our corner (we were in 218 that night). I still get chills just thinking about that moment.

My favorite devils game was my first one. It was in Boston in the 2000-01 season. It was a back and forth kind of game. I remember Sykora scored a shorthander to tie the game which silienced the Bruins fans around me. Then Gomez scoring the game winning goal with like 3 seconds left in OT.

My first game at the Rock wasn't a plesant game they got shut out by the Pens 0-5. Ouch. The second one was much better with the come back against the Stars.

I never had anyone really harrass me at games and I mostly go to away games. That might have to do with the fact I am a girl who actually understands the game.

in 2003 for my 8th grade graduation, and my birthday my parents bought me tickets to every home playoff game through the first three rounds that year. i'll never forget i always wanted to see a multiple OT game, and in the 2nd round against the lighting to close out the series grant marshall scored the GW goal in, i think, double OT. i went wild, and so did the whole place. the 1-0 game against the senators in game 3 where marty made some incredible saves was great too. one of the craziest moments in that game was in the first period, marty went behind the net to play the puck and the puck caromed off the glass. the puck took a crazy bounce off the glass and missed the far post by literally inches. i've never been so nervous in my life for those few moments

Had to be every home game back in 03' Langebrunner would flip me a puck in warmups when they would go into the butterfly drill. Just so happened every game he flipped a puck to me he scored and it became sort of a ritual between us..i'd bang on the glass, he'd show a smile and flip the puck.

Also, Stevens night was amazing.

My favorite has to be Scott Stevens night and at the 2006-2007 home opener against toronto with a 3 goal comeback in the 3rd period.

I was at that game vs. Toronto too. I wore the same Devils hat I had worn for damn near 10 years and it was still in decent shape (my one buddy called it "God Head" for some reason ... this same buddy's parents left that game early while the Devs were still losing too, their loss). Anyway, Gio netted the hat trick that night and I had to do my duty as a fan and toss my beloved cap. I was sitting way up in the cheapies like usual, so the hat didn't hit the ice. I think it hit some old lady in the lower level. All the same, I miss that hat. Freakin Gio! :P

I'd have to go with the first time I ever saw the Devils win live. I'd seen a few ties and losses, but in the 1995-96 season, they played Tampa Bay. They were losing 3-1 going into the 3rd, and scored 5 goals to win the game 6-3. I believe Rolston had the hat trick. I was hooked on the Devils already, but that hooked me on the live games.

I'll also never forget Game 5 in 1999 against Pittsburgh. Me and a friend of mine got tix in the 3rd or 5th row, and Scott Stevens chased a rebound and scored right in front of us. We can be seen in the reverse angle. May have been the game winner, but I forget.

So many come to mind...a few stand out though:

Being there for the first Cup win on my 25th birthday on June 24, 1995. The anticipation as the clock counted down in the third...all the excitement...so many different people who might have nothing to say to each other enjoying each other's company...man it was great fun.

Niedermayer's three-on-five shorthanded goal in Game 1 of their first-round series against the Panthers in the 1999-00 playoffs.

Their Game 7 win against the Sabres in the first round of the 1993-94 playoffs. I was sure they were dead after losing in quadruple OT in Game 6.

A regular season game against the Penguins during that same 1993-94 campaign. The Devils were trailing against a Penguins team that was clearly exhausted. They finally tied it up, but some time after that in third period they went completely nuts, scoring 4 goals in about 2 1/2 minutes to win 7-3. It was insane...as soon as the lastest goal was being announced the Devils would score again. The Penguins literally looked like they were standing still.

One last one: against the Penguins in the 1994-95 playoffs, a Penguin fan sitting behind me kept spewing, "No fvcking talent...no fvcking talent...", over and over again, until a Devils' fan sitting behind him tapped on the shoulder and softly said, "Hey." The Penguin fan turned around, they exchanged words for about five seconds, then the Devil fan knocked him out cold with one punch. I'm not ordinarily a fan of violence in the stands during games, but the whole thing had a very slapstick, Three Stooges feel to it. That, and as the guy was popped some guy yelled "OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH! You'll take that fist and like it!" For some reason at the time that cracked me up to no end.

So many come to mind...a few stand out though:

Being there for the first Cup win on my 25th birthday on June 24, 1995. The anticipation as the clock counted down in the third...all the excitement...so many different people who might have nothing to say to each other enjoying each other's company...man it was great fun.

Niedermayer's three-on-five shorthanded goal in Game 1 of their first-round series against the Panthers in the 1999-00 playoffs.

Their Game 7 win against the Sabres in the first round of the 1993-94 playoffs. I was sure they were dead after losing in quadruple OT in Game 6.

A regular season game against the Penguins during that same 1993-94 campaign. The Devils were trailing against a Penguins team that was clearly exhausted. They finally tied it up, but some time after that in third period they went completely nuts, scoring 4 goals in about 2 1/2 minutes to win 7-3. It was insane...as soon as the lastest goal was being announced the Devils would score again. The Penguins literally looked like they were standing still.

One last one: against the Penguins in the 1994-95 playoffs, a Penguin fan sitting behind me kept spewing, "No fvcking talent...no fvcking talent...", over and over again, until a Devils' fan sitting behind him tapped on the shoulder and softly said, "Hey." The Penguin fan turned around, they exchanged words for about five seconds, then the Devil fan knocked him out cold with one punch. I'm not ordinarily a fan of violence in the stands during games, but the whole thing had a very slapstick, Three Stooges feel to it. That, and as the guy was popped some guy yelled "OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH! You'll take that fist and like it!" For some reason at the time that cracked me up to no end.

I was at and remember every one of those games clearly. To add to that list, game 5 against the Sabres in 1994. Devils are down 3-1 going into the 3rd I believe. Richer ties it, and then Claude scores one of my all time favorite Devil goals to take the lead by coming in over the line one on one against Richard Schmelik (remember him?), puts the puck through his legs and dances around him then goes in on Hasek who flopped down like a fish and Claude put it right around him into the net to take the lead. I went insane. Then at the end of the game there was a near riot when some fans behind the Sabres bench got fiesty and some of the Sabres tried to climb over the glass to get at them. I know Rob Ray was one of them. I'd love to see this game again.

Edited by skeeter

Well one of my favorite moments came in the bathroom during I think the first Ranger-Devil playoff game in Prudential Center. In the bathrooms on the upper level, tons of drunk Devils and Rangers fans were in line for the urinals with me. I believe it was the second intermission and it was tied, and one particularly large Ranger fan wearing a Gomez jersey goes to me "The Rangers are gonna win again after overtime after it goes into a shootout, and Gomez is gonna put it past Brodeur for the game-winner. I love shootouts!" With a big stupid grin on his face. I just look at him, laugh and go "how many overtimes until the shootout?" And he says "one, five minutes." I look at him and go, "Wow, the quintessential Ranger fan, who doesn't know that in the playoffs there is no shootout, and no chance for Gomez to ice Brodeur one-on-one." With the grin wiped off his face he turned to his compatriots and asked them "wait, c'mon, there's a shootout after overtime isn't there?" The Ranger fans all shrugged, while the Devils fans just yelled "No you retard!" The blue section of the bathroom got pretty quiet, for a few minutes at least. I love silencing stupid fans.

That's GREAT!!!! And they say we are the worst fans.

Edited by Deek_1969

I'd have to go with the first time I ever saw the Devils win live. I'd seen a few ties and losses, but in the 1995-96 season, they played Tampa Bay. They were losing 3-1 going into the 3rd, and scored 5 goals to win the game 6-3. I believe Rolston had the hat trick. I was hooked on the Devils already, but that hooked me on the live games.

I was at that game too! That was the first hat trick I ever saw. I also remember Corey Schwab was with Tampa for that game (don't remember if he started, just remember that he was in uniform) and he handed his goalie stick to a fan in the crowd as he stepped off the ice after the pre-game skate. I always thought that was extremely cool of him.

I also always think of that game whenever the Devils trail going into the third period. In fact, I brought it up to my pessimistic Dad at that game against the Bruins this past season. Gotta keep the faith!

Ah, random memories. :D

So many...

Grant Marshall scoring in 3OT against the Lightning, Rd 2 Game 5 in 03 to win the Series

Scott Stevens Night

2004 my dad and I went to Toronto to watch the Devils play the Leafs, the atmosphere was amazing, I kinda got in some Leafs fans' faces when the Devils scored and they won 1-0. Awesome.

2006 my dad and I went to Chicago, I saw my first shootout. It was the same night as a Bears playoff game. Literally at least 40% Devils fans, and my section was like 80%. Devils won. Fvcking awesome.

This year we went to Boston...the night Weekes played. Yeah, it was a loss, but I had a lot of fun talking to the Bruins fans around me. Don't know how much fun it would have been post SB42, I don't think we would have talked, lol :D

Cap day this year was fun, 5-1 win over the Canes.

4/6/08 Shootout win vs. the Rangers, waited for 5 hours for $10 tickets with 3 friends, and we spent the whole time heckling Rags fans in Section 208 :D