DevilinLA

The Official Devils GAME WORN Jersey Thread

2,409 posts in this topic

The Larsson, Zajac and to an extent the Severson were steals (with Severson depending on how his career pans out).  The others the prices can be explained by the following:

1) Gionta - Has a cult following.  His jerseys are always pre-ordered and never make it to the Meigray website.  Myself and other collectors believe his family is also buying them as well.

2) Schneider - He's a star so no surprise there.

3) KK - Has a little bit of a cult around him.  Also probably the only retro night he will ever start in.

4) Danis - There is literally one collector who lives in Switzerland who buys EVERYTHING of his.  He once posted his list of game used jerseys of Danis and he had pretty much every one Danis ever wore in his entire pro career.  Danis was also one of, if not the most expensive gamer from the Albany Devils Ugly Christmas sweater auction.  Most likely they were both purchased by this individual.

5) Tootoo - Has a bit of a cult

6) Farnham - Also has a bit of a cult.  He had a bit of a cult in Pittsburgh/Wilkes-Barre

7) Sislo - First career NHL goal(s).  Also has a little bit of a cult following

A lot of the Albany call-ups have cult followings.  The fans up in Albany tend to really like the players as they tend to have closer and easier access to them.  Like most other minor league teams fans then build up a following around certain players at their level and follow them to the NHL.  That would explain some of the call up ones.

I remember you referencing the username for Gio's winning bids matching his big bro's twitter handle. Has to be the reason for his jersey going for more than a Schneider.

Yeah but can't be sure anymore since NHL Auctions removed the usernames of bidders from auctions last summer.

Just taking away Gionta and Danis out from the auction, the average jersey goes down to $702.64

For two-game retro jersey, that's a pretty fair average.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just taking away Gionta and Danis out from the auction, the average jersey goes down to $702.64

Does anyone have experience removing a sharpie signature from a gamer? I'm considering purchasing a Devils gamer that has signature on a white number - I'm not a fan of autographed gamers and this one in particular looks like a crappy rush-job (likely as the player walked to from the arena to his car after a game). I've seen a few methods online and wonder how successful (or not) they are. 

I think I know what jersey you are talking about and quite honestly it is not a perfect science.  You can try detergents while soaking it in cold water that may or may not work.  Not sure how Goo-Gone and others would work as they might be way too harsh.

I have a couple gamers that I purchased that came with autographs.  Not ideal but sometimes it is what it is.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You can try detergents while soaking it in cold water that may or may not work.  Not sure how Goo-Gone and others would work as they might be way too harsh.

I have a couple gamers that I purchased that came with autographs.  Not ideal but sometimes it is what it is.

Yea, I'm concerned that I'll try removing the sharpie and inevitably end up just smearing it all over the white number.

The detergent option worries me because I don't want to remove any board burns/marks. 

As you noted, it might be best to just leave it as-is.

Edited by hoekster316

I did wash an Edge jersey that was game worn that had burns and marks on it.  I wore it out and someone spilled a little bit of food on it.  I put it by itself inside out on gentle cold cycle with only a little bit of detergent and air dried.  Got all of the food out but none of the marks/burns/wear left.

The jerseys are pretty resilient but yeah I might have just been lucky lol.

That's super helpful - Good to know that there are options if something undesirable gets on a gamer!