2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how well Pedro will pitch tonight. But I'm pretty sure Burnett is getting hit and walking the ballpark.

Isn't baseball great. A pitcher can opt-out of his overpriced contract when he has accomplished nothing to sign a much bigger contract. And right now not a single Yankees fan has any idea what to expect from A.J.

Isn't baseball great. A pitcher can opt-out of his overpriced contract when he has accomplished nothing to sign a much bigger contract. And right now not a single Yankees fan has any idea what to expect from A.J.

three years of 3.98, 3.75, and 4.07 ERAs in the AL East is nothing? all right then. burnett was definitely worth what toronto was paying him.

not a single phillies fan has any idea what to expect from pedro martinez.

three years of 3.98, 3.75, and 4.07 ERAs in the AL East is nothing? all right then. burnett was definitely worth what toronto was paying him.

not a single phillies fan has any idea what to expect from pedro martinez.

Burnett probably didn't deserve that contract going when he first got it. He probably pitched well enough compared to some other bad contracts, but he struggled staying healthy for the first two years. Also, those ERA numbers in that division look good, he seemed to pick it up when the games just didn't matter anymore for the Jays. His ERA numbers on August 1st were 4.84, 4.31 and 4.57. His record after August 1st each year? 8-4, 5-2, and 6-1.

And Pedro Martinez isn't get 80+ million. Maybe a better example is Cole Hamels.

I think DR33 has a fair point on AJ. Big free agents almost always get overpaid, but I think the reason AJ got all the money he did despite his inconsistencies is just based on the fact that when he is on, he is downright nasty. I was very uncomfortable with the AJ signing just because of his inconsistency but at the same time I can't fault Cashman because the market was thin on pitchers. I'm hoping like hell that good AJ shows up tonight.

I'm not too happy with the line up tonight....I can understand benching Swisher but I feel that if anyone is going to replace him you should go with a power guy like Hinske. Perhaps you get lucky and he turns on a pitch and knocks it out. Hairston at best will just get a single here and there. I also don't like the fact Molina is in just because AJ is pitching, the Yankees need Posada's bat in the line up. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite them.

I think DR33 has a fair point on AJ. Big free agents almost always get overpaid, but I think the reason AJ got all the money he did despite his inconsistencies is just based on the fact that when he is on, he is downright nasty. I was very uncomfortable with the AJ signing just because of his inconsistency but at the same time I can't fault Cashman because the market was thin on pitchers. I'm hoping like hell that good AJ shows up tonight.

I'm not too happy with the line up tonight....I can understand benching Swisher but I feel that if anyone is going to replace him you should go with a power guy like Hinske. Perhaps you get lucky and he turns on a pitch and knocks it out. Hairston at best will just get a single here and there. I also don't like the fact Molina is in just because AJ is pitching, the Yankees need Posada's bat in the line up. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite them.

I don't agree with it either, but Hairston's got .370 average vs. Pedro (via http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6127). Here's hopin'.

GO YANKS!

I don't agree with it either, but Hairston's got .370 average vs. Pedro (via http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6127). Here's hopin'.

GO YANKS!

My problem with going with stats like that is they are based off of a small sample size and in this case, stats that are at least a half a decade old.

Down 1-0 right now but still a ton of time left. Lets Go Yankees!

they'd really better start getting it going. Hopefully it will be like the late '90s duels with Pedro going 1-0 until the battle of the bullpens (which might not be as good as it used to with Phil and Joba being pretty awful in the playoffs so far)

Edited by DH26

Yanks win 3-1. Series tied at 1.

VERY impressed by AJ. Clutch home-runs by Tex and Matsui. Mariano was Mariano. Good, well-fought win. Now on Philthy and hopefully a commanding lead in the series.

It's crucial for the Yankees to take 2 out of 3 in Philadelphia. I like their chances considering the next two pitching match ups:

10/31 Saturday: Game 3: Yankees @ Phillies 7:57 Pettitte vs. Hamels Edge: Yankees

11/1 Sunday: Game 4: Yankees @ Phillies 8:20 Sabathia vs. Blanton Edge: Yankees

11/2 Monday: Game 5: Yankees @ Phillies 7:57 Who knows if the Yankees go to AJ on 3 days or take their chances with Gaudin...

Edit: Anyone heading out to the Stadium to watch Game 4 on the jumbotron? I'm debating whether or not to go. Most of my friends don't like baseball or they live too far away for me to watch the game with them so I normally end up watching solo. Seems like it'd be fun to watch a game with a ton of other Yankee fans.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Burnett has an all-world curveball. Why the man can't pitch like he did tonight more often is beyond me.

I've always likened him to Oliver Perez, but better. Both of them CAN be almost unhittable when they throw strikes and have their 'stuff' working... but when they don't, it gets pretty ugly. They both heavily rely on the fastball-nasty breaking ball combination.

Big win for the Yanks. Nice to see AJ have the kind of (postseason) game Yankees fans have been waiting for. Matsui played awesome. Really making a case for the Yanks to resign him after this season. Pedro.. what else can say? Displays how intelligent a player he is everytime he takes the mound. What pitcher goes into a World Series game against THIS Yankee line'up, and pitches 6 solid innings.. with a 87 mph fastball? Charlie Manuel (doing his best Grady Little impersonation) shouldn't have left him out there past 100 pitches. He did... and the Yanks capitalized big time.

...no way were the Yank's winning this series going into Philadelphia for 3 consecutive games.. down 2 games to zip! This game (arguably) was the World Series for NY.

1 Down - 3 More to go!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Beezer34

Hell yeah! What a job by Pettitte on the mound AND at the plate tonight! The offense finally came to life and even Swisher looks like he may use this to break out of his slump. Helluva job by Chamberlain, Marte, and Rivera. Hughes is still worrisome...hopefully CC goes deep tomorrow and they can go straight to Rivera. Lets Go Yankees! Extend the lead CC! I want the Yankees to dominate Blanton like they did to Hamels tonight!

Hell yeah! What a job by Pettitte on the mound AND at the plate tonight! The offense finally came to life and even Swisher looks like he may use this to break out of his slump. Helluva job by Chamberlain, Marte, and Rivera. Hughes is still worrisome...hopefully CC goes deep tomorrow and they can go straight to Rivera. Lets Go Yankees! Extend the lead CC! I want the Yankees to dominate Blanton like they did to Hamels tonight!

...besides that (all of which I agree with) how bout Godzilla? 4 out of his last 5 at bat.. with 2 HR's to boot.

...besides that (all of which I agree with) how bout Godzilla? 4 out of his last 5 at bat.. with 2 HR's to boot.

It sucks losing his bat in the NL for most of the game but way to go for him to nail one out in his limited action. What a guy!

This is sick, when the Yankees lose I have trouble sleeping thinking about the game, but when they win I am having a hard time sleeping since I'm running on an emotional high. They are so close, I want CC to dominate tomorrow and AJ to lock it down. Lets Go Yankees!