Mottau suspended for two games

Jake

It's tough for me to say whether this is fair or not. If the league is truly going to be serious and give accidental elbows from non-dirty players a suspension for any head hit then this is ok but the league also better give severe penalties to dirty players that do this as well. I also better not see a double standard of some plays getting suspensions and some not. It's hard to decide if it's fair right now since it's only a recent shift in the leagues home office to really go after the hits to the head so there isn't a lot of history to go on under the new philosophy.

So no Mottau or Madden on Sunday, and no Mottau at least on Wednesday...

Martin-Salvador

White-Oduya

Salmela-Brookbank, I guess?

Elias-Zubrus-Gionta

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Rupp-Clarkson

?-Vrana-Tallackson

Am I missing someone...?

The Devils won't do it but it'd be interested to give Eckford a game or two cup of tea, heck you could even go 7 defenseman and only play him limited minutes. I think it's good for prospects to get a little exposure to the NHL to understand the speed they need to get their game up to.

Seriously... Why not Eckford? Its not like we're trying to forge chemistry because all of the injuries, nor do we absolutely need a win (as opposed to be in a 3 game losing streak).

When Rolston and Holik return, it bumps the depth chart and then we'd be cutting players who have no business being benched just to give ice time. So, no better time than now to give true mid-season NHL experience. Especially if your playing Brookbank on D, who can move up to the forward role later on, etc...

Great another knee-jerk overreaction to a hit that was not THAT bad...it annoys me when a penalty is based on the level of injury on the victim when it should be more about the INTENT of the play....

gotta love the No Hitting League!!!

I have no problem with the suspension (other than the fact that it leaves us shorthanded on the blue line). Sure, Mottau didn't line him up with the intent to hurt him, but he DID go up high and he WAS extremely dangerous. He deserved a suspension.

If this happened to a Devil, I have a feeling that a lot of folks around here would be upset than the culprit got only two games.

He hurt his leg hurt more than anyhting. I'm fine with the suspension, Mottau shouldn't have thrown it once he realized he wasn't going to hit him with the shoulder.

Exactly. He knew he was going to miss with the shoulder. He knew he was going to look stupid hitting air and the guy dancing around him. So instead he made a dirty hit.

He made a dumb hit. It was a dirty hit. And I think 2 games is about right.

As for the No Hitting League, maybe we should just let all dirty illegal hits go unpunished. That will make the league so much better. It's already thought of as the Neanderthal Headhunting League in most quarters so why not go all the way?

Great another knee-jerk overreaction to a hit that was not THAT bad...it annoys me when a penalty is based on the level of injury on the victim when it should be more about the INTENT of the play....

gotta love the No Hitting League!!!

Yeah an elbow to the neck isnt that bad! Suck it up, its hockey! How dare they suspend one of our players for trying to clothesline another player! Dont they know that this is the toughest sport in the world?

Yeah an elbow to the neck isnt that bad! Suck it up, its hockey! How dare they suspend one of our players for trying to clothesline another player! Dont they know that this is the toughest sport in the world?

Did you read the part when I said a suspension should be based on INTENT?

You tell me where he's headhunting there??

And you tell me if the Islander doesn't get shaken up and this is a non-issue

If you look at the replay, Nielsen does it more to himself by trying to avoid the hit and fall backwards before Mottau even touches him! Nielsen hurt himself by chickening out.

maybe he grazed him with an elbow or forearm. That's not suspension worthy.

Look, that was a dirty hit. I don't care that it was one of our players that did it, it was still dirty. Whether there was intent to injure or not, Mottau raised his elbow when he saw he was going to miss the hit and that is a dangerous play. Keep the open ice hits in the game, but keep the arms and elbows down. There is absolutely no reason to lift your arms if you're making a hit.