Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goobergirl

What They Have To Say About Broduer

18 posts in this topic

No bias there..............speechless-smiley-034.gif I wonder if Turco wasn't in the running if things would be any different. There certainly isn't any guarantee Marty will win and frankly his numbers aren't as good as tehy should be/could be. He will have one someday but we all know a Cup is better than any NHL award.

Here's my favorite line:

Even so, the only reason he gets mentioned is because his team wins and he's so close to NY.

lol.gif:joker:

Consistency does matter. Theodore and that guy Carrey are a perfect example. I think Marty playing more games than most of course gives him the oppty to win and lose more but will increase his GAA and save pct. Turco has a terrific team playing in front of him as well.

Marty B. deserves the Vezina. But I guess I am bias. :evil:

Here's my favorite line:
Even so, the only reason he gets mentioned is because his team wins and he's so close to NY.

lol.gif:joker:

<_< That post was by an Avs fan!

If Turco played all year I think he would win it and when the Turco injury happened I thought Brodeur would win it but when Turco came back he looked great and when he set the GAA record a lot of people had him being the favourite. I think that could give him some votes.

Turco had time to rest during his injury. Who knows how he would have done in those games he missed.

Consistency does matter. Theodore and that guy Carrey are a perfect example. I think Marty playing more games than most of course gives him the oppty to win and lose more but will increase his GAA and save pct. Turco has a terrific team playing in front of him as well.

I don't get how the Devils have vastly superior defense to the Stars; is that some of these fans' arguments for why Brodeur does not deserve the Vezina? Maybe someone can remind them that Marty is basically our THIRD friggin defenseman and therefore a BIG part of our actual defense! :P Christ!!!!!

I also love the comment about how he's always received tons of credit - like, where and when?? This is the first year where I feel he's gotten the respect he deserves, although I'm sure that's partly because Hasek is retired.

Save % is also a misleading statistic, even more so than GAA in my opinion. For example, the Devs love to take shots at opposing goalies right into their logo and that naturally drives UP their save %. Their save % is very high yet it doesn't reflect the QUALITY of shots they faced. Other teams probably don't take as many crap shots on Brodeur, but the shots they get are often high quality and more likely to go in.

No doubt that Brodeur should win the Vezina this year.

Especially considering his overall numbers.

Unfortunately, that save percentage stat has worked against him in past years.

Other teams probably don't take as many crap shots on Brodeur, but the shots they get are often high quality and more likely to go in.

I wouldn't consider some of the blue line, short side and high face-off circle shots he's let in on some games this year as "high" quality.

Still, our boy deserves the Vezina.

While Turco led

>the NHL in goals-against average (1.72) and save percentage

>(.932), he played for a team that often gave him some

>breathing room, plus he was limited to 55 games because of

>injury.

>

>The Devils recorded 24 one-goal wins compared to 10 for the

>Stars. Dallas had 20 wins by three or more goals compared to

>three for New Jersey. Brodeur led the league in wins (41)

>and shutouts (nine).

To me, this would support Turco more than Brodeur. If you are up by 2 rather than 1, it is more likely that the other team will be bringing everything they can on offense. Look at it in Stars terms. If we are down 2 early, there is a pretty good chance Modano will be getting double shifted early. If we are down 1, Mo may get double shifted, but not as early or often as if we were down more. Same thing with teams the Stars play. If we have them down early, they are going to come out with their best offensive players and leave their grind lines on the bench.

Is it me or is that just one of hte dumbest posts ive ever read. A team 2 goals down fighting more then a team thats withing striking distance of at least a tie? Right buddy, whatever your smoking in want some cause its gotta be some great sh!t.

Save% is deflated because NJ (im not sure if they finished the season this way) led the leauge in fewest shots against. Which means they enliminated the quick tosses to the chest that Marshall and the likes produce on the other goalies. Without that, your qualityshot% goes way up. A stat they can't possibly record because they cant even agree what a hit is... so theres no way to determine OFFICIALLY what a quality scoring chance is...

Save % is the worst stat by which to measure a goaltender. You could just have your own guys take easy pot shots to inflate it throughout the game -- yeah, that makes you a better goalie.

If Turco were healthy for the entire season, I think he would be legitimate competition for Marty, but he was out for awhile, and I think that's going to affect the way voters think. Brodeur played more games and was consistent through all of them without getting much rest in between, and that says that he's just a great goalie. But, I guarantee you that if you went to a Toronto message board, the people there would be trashing both Martys and making a stronger case for Belfour. It's just biased as to which team you root for. I think in the end it's gonna come down to Brodeur and Belfour, with Turco's only knock being that he was injured. And the comment about Brodeur getting attention only because he's close to NY is bull - if that were true, then Mike Dunham would be mentioned as a candidate, which he obviously isn't because he's not one of the elite goalies of the league. But if that person were correct, he'd be right up there with both Martys and Belfour :D So obviously being close to the city has nothing to do with it.

Marty will win it! Not sure which one though.