Martyisth3b3st

Official 2009 NFL Off-season Thread

1,303 posts in this topic

Oh, it's time to talk history? Cool. How many rings?

Math lesson time!

4 NFL Championships +3 Super Bowls=7 total Championships for the Giants

0 NFL Championships +5 Super Bowls=5 total Championships for the Cowboys

I believe we have a winnah! :P

Math lesson time!

4 NFL Championships +3 Super Bowls=7 total Championships for the Giants

0 NFL Championships +5 Super Bowls=5 total Championships for the Cowboys

I believe we have a winnah! :P

(borat) HIGH FIVE VERY NICE

Giants = 1925

Cowboys = 1960

SuperBowl I = 1967

math

Giants: 7 League Championships, 10 Conf Championships, 15 Div Championships, 30 Playoff appearances

Cowboys: 5 League Championships, 10 Conf Championships, 19 Div Championships, 29 Playoff appearances

and it took them 35 years less to do it in....

Edited by UnderDogX

The same amount of playoff wins Eli had after his first 3 years as a starting QB.

Oh, sorry, was that not fair?

I am usually NOT a defender of the Cowboys, but the difference between Romo and Eli is that Manning had a better TEAM around him and was not forced to win every game. Once Shockey got hurt and the three headed beast of a running game became a force, there was far less pressure on Eli.

Aside from Witten, the Cowboys had NO reliable, big game WR's and for some reason abandoned the running game towards the latter part of the seasons (poor coaching).

If you take away the lucky Tyre catch in the Superbowl and Eli and Romo would be rated the same.

I am usually NOT a defender of the Cowboys, but the difference between Romo and Eli is that Manning had a better TEAM around him and was not forced to win every game. Once Shockey got hurt and the three headed beast of a running game became a force, there was far less pressure on Eli.

Aside from Witten, the Cowboys had NO reliable, big game WR's and for some reason abandoned the running game towards the latter part of the seasons (poor coaching).

If you take away the lucky Tyre catch in the Superbowl and Eli and Romo would be rated the same.

and lets' not forget one was a born pedigree QB chosen in the first round while the other was from a no name school not even drafted....

Well so much for keeping Cutler in Paul Shane's league :doh1: :doh1:

So the Broncos have the 12th and 18th pick this year plus Dave Grohl at QB...which means they are starting from scratch on the long term, franchise QB spot...I wouldn't be so happy about this team if I were a Broncos fan....those two picks should net some good players, especially if they trade up (I could see the Cowboys packaging to get the 18th, after all we do have like 13 picks)...not a bad spot overall for Denver but I'm not so sure about the uncertainty at QB....

side note, Orlando Pace signed with the Bears too so Cutler should be a pretty happy guy (combined with growing up a Bears fan)

So the Broncos have the 12th and 18th pick this year plus Dave Grohl at QB...which means they are starting from scratch on the long term, franchise QB spot...I wouldn't be so happy about this team if I were a Broncos fan....those two picks should net some good players, especially if they trade up (I could see the Cowboys packaging to get the 18th, after all we do have like 13 picks)...not a bad spot overall for Denver but I'm not so sure about the uncertainty at QB....

side note, Orlando Pace signed with the Bears too so Cutler should be a pretty happy guy (combined with growing up a Bears fan)

img_2.jpg

Sorry...any chance for a Foo Fighters mention I can't pass up :D

orton.jpg

resemblance....i think so!!

Edited by UnderDogX

What a steal for the Broncos. Cutler is the second coming of Drew Bledsoe. I don't care how strong your arm is if you don't have the brains and experience to read a defense.

Without Shanahan Cutler is nothing. The Bears just got themselves another turnover machine behind center.

What a steal for the Broncos. Cutler is the second coming of Drew Bledsoe. I don't care how strong your arm is if you don't have the brains and experience to read a defense.

Without Shanahan Cutler is nothing. The Bears just got themselves another turnover machine behind center.

Don't remind me... my ONE glowing light in my fantasy league last year was Cutler in the 10th Round and being able to keep him for THIS year :rant:

the Bears better get a goddamn receiver!!!

I like Orton too though.... he's a WINNER..... he's done a lot with that crap offense the Bears have... he could be scary next year with a real offense

Wow. I would tend to think alcoholism and diabetes are not a good combination. But in any event, I'm just happy the Jets didn't get him. :boogie:

Im a niners fan - and I knew Singletary wasnt having any of that whiny garbage on his squad.

How did the Bears get better?

If the knock on Grossman was he threw too many INT's, they basically just got a more expensive Grossman and lost a few great draft positions.

Im not the biggest Cutler fan - but he is infinitely better than Grossman - and i dont know if you noticed, but the Bears played Orton last year.

Cutler is a top 5 QB in terms of talent.

One word Manta....Potential.

Fact is Grossman is Grossman...Cutler was named the best QB coming out of the Draft that featured Vince Young and Matt Leinart and is already proving that theory right...I'm not a big fan either (with a similar skill set as Romo I'd much have the one who can make something happen instead of whining when it doesn't go his way...but that's neither here nor there) but he has a canon of an arm and the brains to get better...with the right coaching and team he could easily be a top 5 QB for a long time....can't even come close to saying that about Grossman...

One word Manta....Potential.

Fact is Grossman is Grossman...Cutler was named the best QB coming out of the Draft that featured Vince Young and Matt Leinart and is already proving that theory right...I'm not a big fan either (with a similar skill set as Romo I'd much have the one who can make something happen instead of whining when it doesn't go his way...but that's neither here nor there) but he has a canon of an arm and the brains to get better...with the right coaching and team he could easily be a top 5 QB for a long time....can't even come close to saying that about Grossman...

Grossman also brought his team to a Superbowl.

Wasn't Ryan Leaf also considered the best QB coming out of the draft?

I guess I don't see the potential because Cutler hasn't shown he is a smart QB. Shanahan helped him alot, and without him he is just an expensive Grossman.

Grossman also brought his team to a Superbowl.

Wasn't Ryan Leaf also considered the best QB coming out of the draft?

I guess I don't see the potential because Cutler hasn't shown he is a smart QB. Shanahan helped him alot, and without him he is just an expensive Grossman.

no. Grossman did not bring his team to the Superbowl....the Defense carried that team to the Superbowl dragging Grossman along kicking and screaming because he did everything and anything to not win games....while Cutler at least won't hold the team back...I'll rephrase the best QB as I think Leinart might have held that title but without a doubt Cutler was considered the most likely to succeed in the NFL. I don't think without a doubt the Broncos got the better deal if they can put those picks to use but to say Cutler is a younger Grossman is a bit much, Shanahan made him better sure, can he be good without him, maybe not but I'm pretty sure you could ask any GM in the league who they'd rather have Cutler or Grossman and if it wasn't unanimous I would be extremely shocked...

I love these comparisons to Cutler and Bledsoe...Bledsoe had a great arm, but nowhere near the mobility that Jay possesses....case in point? Jay was only sacked 11 times in 2008, and considering he threw the ball 616 times...that is an amazing percentage.

Plus Cutler is only 25...most QB's are 25 are not that incredibly polished mentally...he will only get better.

Edited by LOTCB

I love these comparisons to Cutler and Bledsoe...Bledsoe had a great arm, but nowhere near the mobility that Jay possesses....case in point? Jay was only sacked 11 times in 2008, and considering he threw the ball 616 times...that is an amazing percentage.

Plus Cutler is only 25...most QB's are 25 are not that incredibly polished mentally...he will only get better.

whoooooooooooooooooops

Edited by PutTheForkDown