Brodeur Admits To Affair

DevilMinder

Broduer's tabloid life.

Brodeur's marital problems make tabloid

Canadian Press

4/26/2003

MONTREAL (CP) - Martin Brodeur says he won't be distracted even if details of his marital problems have been splashed on the front page of a weekly crime magazine.

The cover story in this week's French-language tabloid Photo Police promised ``the whole truth'' about a Quebec goaltender, which it didn't name, having an affair with his sister-in-law and being asked for $9 million in alimony by his wife.

Brodeur acknowledged to Le Journal de Montreal in a story published Saturday that he and his wife Melanie have been separated since Christmas, although he denied some of the other information in the Photo Police story.

The issue apparently hasn't affected his play.

Brodeur posted shutouts in New Jersey's final first-round playoff game against Boston and in the Devils' series-opening 3-0 win over Tampa Bay this week.

``I have a job to do,'' Brodeur said. ``People close to me have been watching to see how I would handle it.

``Even if there are important things happening in my life, I have a huge responsibility toward the Devils, who are paying me $8 million per season. I have to be the best goaltender possible for them.''

It has not always been easy, he added.

``Women are also capable of being mean,'' he said. ``When she calls me two hours before a game to say ``Tonight, I'm going out with a guy,' it's not easy to concentrate, especially when I know the guy.

``But let's say I know what she's trying to do.''

Brodeur did not deny having an affair with his sister-in-law, although he said she had already separated from her husband at the time.

But he denied other details of the story, including that his wife surprised the lovers at an Ottawa hotel and that his wife was asking for $9 million

``None of that is true,'' he said.

Brodeur said he and his wife have not yet decided whether to make the split permanent.

``In life, things happen for different reasons,'' he said. ``For a time, things weren't working out.

``I made a mistake and now I have to live with it.''

It was curious that the story appeared in Photo Police, which deals mostly with crime.

Brodeur has never been accused of being violent or breaking any laws.

``I have no control over things like that,'' said Brodeur. ``Maybe somebody wanted to make a little money selling the information.''

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! sad-smiley-058.gif I'm surprised he mentioned that part about women being mean but I guess he wanted to get a bit of his side out. There are two sides to every story, we don't know the whole deal. Let's hope he stays as strong as he has been and this does not become front page news overcasting the team's current success and drive for the Cup. THe Devils have enough to deal with.

One thing that bothered me about this article was that it was just a series of quotes. I would like more context for these quotes than just the set up of the article. Perhaps the questions asked to get these quotes?

good point. Writers use quote to pad articles without much substance.

I think it sucks but sometimes that's how life is :( .

I found out about it the other day from a friend. So, I am not surprised it came out. But at the same time, when they told me, I was bothered by it and surprised me. Brodeur was going to have a Feature Story done on him too by the company my buddy works for but they pulled the story because of this :P . He had a clean image before it.

People make mistakes. We don't know the entire story but I feel bad for the kids. I hope they work things out.

Zam - I know its the sensationalism that sells - its what got me to read the article in the first place, and actually made me read it over a couple times because the way the quotes were presented made me think that there has to be much more to this story. I can't imagine Brodeur giving away information on his personal life unless the reporters questions made him believe that enough of the story was out there and it was in his best interest to comment. That's basically why I want to see what questions were asked before really passing any judgement. Brodeur always deals with the media in such a professional manner and has never really discussed his personal life.

All that said - his sister in law? Would that be a brother's wife or his wife's sister? I will admit to ignoring this gossip until now - but since it was reported on tsn.com . . . .

I'm no insider but I heard about the seperation a while ago myself, and heard about the sister-in-law part recently. Unfortunately now it's public knowledge and no matter how dinky it seems to be, one thing we all can agree on, you have to hope it doesn't affect him for the rest of the playoffs.

I can't say too much surprises me anymore when it comes to sports athletes but this did. What else is new I guess hockey players can be every bit the jerks of their baseball, football, basketball counterparts after all :saddevil:

sad, Marty can't honor & respect his wife and has to resort to sleazy affairs.

Corrected your spelling, 7 :evil:

How do you know it was all Marty? Bad choice, retaliation of any kind does not make it right, especially with family but we don't know the whole story.

Of course the media is going to pry; that's it's job.

However, I'm talking about us - the posters of this board, the fans of the game, and the fans of Martin Brodeur.

Let US give him the privacy he deserves.

RD, you are so right. Let's respect him and not make an issue out of it.