Tortilla named the new Rangers head coach

brickwall30

He'll benefit. We are all familiar with the Pat Burns effect.

???

Gomez had 125 points in 160 regular season games and 18 points in 29 playoff games under Burns. Tortorella might bump him up to 65-70 points, bfd. This team is not good, and this should only hurt their draft position, if anything.

???

Gomez had 125 points in 160 regular season games and 18 points in 29 playoff games under Burns. Tortorella might bump him up to 65-70 points, bfd. This team is not good, and this should only hurt their draft position, if anything.

It's not about points. Don't you remember how demanding Pat was of Gomez (playing smart, backchecking, etc.)? Pat made a real difference with Gomez. He wasn't going to put up with carelessness.

Gomez was also younger then, and not only had to answer to the coach but to the Vets and the Managment. He's older now, more set in his ways with no other veteran presence to give him a kick in the ass.

Plus, he cared. Because he had to earn a good contract for the future. Now that he is set and he'll get the money anyway, he doesn't have to do sh!t and the only punishment will be hearing boos, which doesn't bother him anyway, because all he cares about is getting his $$$.

It's gonna be interesting with Tortorella. And strange to see him behind that bench, too. He's good, but is he good enough to get this mess together and keep the Rangers in the playoffs? I hope not.

Gomez was also younger then, and not only had to answer to the coach but to the Vets and the Managment. He's older now, more set in his ways with no other veteran presence to give him a kick in the ass.

agreed

gomez's problem was rarely backchecking, it's turning the puck over at the opponent's blueline, which he still does routinely.

agreed

but is he good enough to get this mess together and keep the Rangers in the playoffs? I hope not.

I think that they will make the playoffs, but mostly 'cuz no one is going to challenge them.

PIT has not played well, and I'm not sure Gonchar & their new coach will be enough to make the playoffs.

That leaves the Rags just needing to beat out one other team to make the dance.

All the Rags have to do is play .500 down this stretch, and they'll be in.

Even if they don't make the playoffs, at least they've had another 15 minutes of media attention. And a thread here. :giggle: It probably won't last long, though, so as soon as they lose for [Tarantella] -- when's their next game? -- they'll probably try make a high-profile trade March 4th, assuming they can find another team that's foolish enough to take their sloppy sec rejects.

Edited by Shtikl

Plus, he cared. Because he had to earn a good contract for the future. Now that he is set and he'll get the money anyway, he doesn't have to do sh!t and the only punishment will be hearing boos, which doesn't bother him anyway, because all he cares about is getting his $$$.

It's gonna be interesting with Tortorella. And strange to see him behind that bench, too. He's good, but is he good enough to get this mess together and keep the Rangers in the playoffs? I hope not.

I think while Torts tries to build a team in his image, it will basically implode before it gets better. The team is already lacking confidence, Torts will crush this even more. Gomez will be the whipping boy based on his salary.

The problem wasn't Renney, and it's not going to be Tortorella. Renney got a lot out of a sh!t team. Lundquist got tired, and it all went to hell. A new coach isn't going to change that. Gomez needs wings, which he doesn't have, Drury is a good player on a good team, but can't carry an average one, after Staal the D is a joke. Jagr carried the offense on his back for years, and they let him go for nothing, when there are indications that he was interested in staying in New York, same for Shanny. Zherdev and Naslund aren't that good, and they had to let Tyutin, who isn't half bad, go to get Zherdev. Sather's an idiot. He likes to get noticed, so he does things for the sake of doing them. The past couple years he got lucky (see Lundquist, Henrik), but Rags "fans" can expect more of the same now. The only mistake Renney made was underutilizing Prucha, but Prucha wasn't going to solve all the problems on this team.

The problem wasn't Renney, and it's not going to be Tortorella. Renney got a lot out of a sh!t team. Lundquist got tired, and it all went to hell. A new coach isn't going to change that. Gomez needs wings, which he doesn't have, Drury is a good player on a good team, but can't carry an average one, after Staal the D is a joke. Jagr carried the offense on his back for years, and they let him go for nothing, when there are indications that he was interested in staying in New York, same for Shanny. Zherdev and Naslund aren't that good, and they had to let Tyutin, who isn't half bad, go to get Zherdev. Sather's an idiot. He likes to get noticed, so he does things for the sake of doing them. The past couple years he got lucky (see Lundquist, Henrik), but Rags "fans" can expect more of the same now. The only mistake Renney made was underutilizing Prucha, but Prucha wasn't going to solve all the problems on this team.

Great post, except for putting "fans" in quotes for the Rangers. They have to be real fans to put up with the ineptitude, don't they? Either that or masochists (thank you, Glen, may I have another?)/ I'm glad we don't get tested like that!

Regarding Prucha, he gets more love than a backup quarterback for Jay Schroeder. That football reference is for you, Crasher!

Great post, except for putting "fans" in quotes for the Rangers. They have to be real fans to put up with the ineptitude, don't they? Either that or masochists (thank you, Glen, may I have another?)/ I'm glad we don't get tested like that!

Regarding Prucha, he gets more love than a backup quarterback for Jay Schroeder. That football reference is for you, Crasher!

if anything is gonna get them turned around its torterella, this could be bad.