10 Worst NHL Contracts

Chico

kimmo timonen is a bad choice. legitimately bad. ryan parent? who the hell cares about ryan parent, is it the guy's brother-in-law or something? he's a 21 year old who's probably going to be an average-ish stay at home guy.

rolston's a fair choice if only because with that high ankle sprain i think his skating speed is notably down. and with that comes the low ebb - there's the possibility that rolston is only a checking-line-ish forward with a great slapshot who has seasons like 20-20-40 instead of 30-30-60. but with the salary cap in place, you just have got to sign one or two of these deals if you're not detroit, which apparently has some mind-control property that forces players to sign for 75% of their market value (that, or the quickly unraveling michigan economy).

what's interesting about rolston is that if new jersey could convince him to retire in 2 years his contract would all of the sudden be insanely valuable.

Edited by Triumph

Rolston is definitely overpaid, IMO, but way too early to put him in the ten worst category. The power play has improved dramatically since he returned from injury, even if he's not on the points list (I know correlation does not equal causation). I think the knock on his age is overblown. Players are in much better shape these days. You got guys like Chelios who're still able to meaningfully contribute at 46!

The real test will be the playoffs.

everybody that talks about rolston's lack of production this year, from this guy in his blog, to announcers for other teams on center ice etc., none of them ever acknowledge the fact that he missed a big chunk of the season with a high ankle sprain.

he mentions Elias being "down right old" at 32...lol!

Edited by ice dog

what's interesting about rolston is that if new jersey could convince him to retire in 2 years his contract would all of the sudden be insanely valuable.

Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but Rolston was over 35 when he signed his contract, thus even if he retires his cap number is still on the books. Maybe that could be of value when looking at a team trying to hit the cap floor?

Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but Rolston was over 35 when he signed his contract, thus even if he retires his cap number is still on the books. Maybe that could be of value when looking at a team trying to hit the cap floor?

I think Tri is saying you can then trade the contract value to a team that wants to take on 5 million in cap hit to get the to floor but would love to not actually have to pay a player that same 5 million dollars.