koolkoreankid23

Gionta

13 posts in this topic

He's a UFA at the end of the season. He's definitely one of my favorite players and I'd absolutely hate to see him go just as much as I hated seeing Sykora, MacLean, Guerin, Sullivan, Gomez, Rafalski, Nidermayer, etc go. Should we bring him back? In all honesty, I'd rather bring him back than Mad Dog. Madden is getting old, and you can tell by watching him this year that he's not the same player.

whoa.. your talikn' off season stuff. i know its important to bring it up at trade deadline to avoid a Gomez, Rafalski, Nidermayer siduation. but i dont think gio has any intention to bolt. if we choose to resign him when the time comes i assume he will resign.

He's replaceable. At 4M, the Devils can get a better winger such as Franzen, Cole, Zednik or Kotalik during the off-season.

Edited by Devil Fan

He's replaceable. At 4M, the Devils can get a better winger such as Franzen, Cole, Zednik or Kotalik during the off-season.

I'm all for letting Bergfors, Halishuk, Vrana, Swift and so on show their stuff.

I'm all for letting Bergfors, Halishuk, Vrana, Swift and so on show their stuff.

I think they would have a chance provided the Devils fail to re-sign UFAs Madden (Pelley would take over), Shanahan, Rupp and Holik. But adding some experiences and depth to the team should benefit.

The biggest questions are Oduya and Zajac. Oduya (UFA) and Zajac (RFA) are both due sizable raises. Depending on how much money vs. how much Kool-Aid Lou dishes out, we'll see how much is left over for the likes of Madden and Gionta. One of the two is probably as good as gone. Earlier in the season I would have said that was easily Madden, but since Pando was first scratched Madden has really raised his game. Based on what little we saw of him this season, Bergfors looked like he could bring a lot of what Gio brings to the game, and I'm all for giving him a shot.

Whatever happens ... In Lou We Trust! :koolaid:

Madden is getting old, and you can tell by watching him this year that he's not the same player.

Sadly he is. I was watching old 2001-2003 games the other night... and wow, I remember why we all love Madden :)

Oduya and Zajac are borderline untouchable. Dog's my favorite player, and I still have more faith in Gio than Bergfors, but it's gonna be tough to keep both of them, and they both (especially Gio) better expect a paycut if they're gonna stay. That said, I think Madden is tougher to replace than Gio, because he brings so much to the table in terms of intangibles. He may be slowing down, but he's still a leader who does a lot of little things right. I give him a 1 year deal, not much cash. If he someone else offers him too much and he bolts, more power to him, but he's worth at least a shot.

Dog's my favorite player too. I think he's got a bit more back than he had at the beginning of the season, but it looks like diminishing returns from here on out.