3 on 3 Hockey

DevilsMJ

I was watching the Isles game last night and for a little over a minute they played 3 on 3 hockey. I can't remember ever seeing that before, maybe once in overtime. Does anyone know how often that occurs?

Very rare, but I remember seeing it during a Devils-Flyers game about 9-10 years ago (I'm guessing). Stevens had a breakaway opportunity (a very strange sight) and couldn't convert. The amount of open ice was so strange to see.

I was watching the Isles game last night and for a little over a minute they played 3 on 3 hockey. I can't remember ever seeing that before, maybe once in overtime. Does anyone know how often that occurs?

Probably no more than a handful of time a season. It was surprising that there were no good chances during the 3 on 3.

I cant recall ever seeing it. Was it more exciting?

Now this 3 on 3 would be good to have in the OT and some team is bound to score in the 5-minute OT. Have that instead of these dumb shootouts.

That's such a dumb idea. 3 on 3 should only ever happen when penalties make it happen, it shouldn't be artificially created just to increase scoring. Otherwise, why not make overtime 2 on 2 or 1 on 1?

That's such a dumb idea. 3 on 3 should only ever happen when penalties make it happen, it shouldn't be artificially created just to increase scoring. Otherwise, why not make overtime 2 on 2 or 1 on 1?

Not dumb at all for OT. Sure the shootouts are smart right? Please...shootouts are dumb.

At least 3 on 3 OT would be more exciting IMO than the useless shootouts.

Not dumb at all for OT. Sure the shootouts are smart right? Please...shootouts are dumb.

Yea shootouts are brilliant just like I said. :rolleyes:

3 on 3 is almost as stupid. The winner of a hockey game should be decided by playing a hockey game. The 4 on 4 for overtime is already too drastic a change in my opinion. 3 on 3 would be a joke. Why not just play 2 on 2? Or 1 on 1?

Yea shootouts are brilliant just like I said. :rolleyes:

3 on 3 is almost as stupid. The winner of a hockey game should be decided by playing a hockey game. The 4 on 4 for overtime is already too drastic a change in my opinion. 3 on 3 would be a joke. Why not just play 2 on 2? Or 1 on 1?

Why not just play 2 on 2? Or 1 on 1? /repeat

The YoungStars game was played in a 3-on-3 format this year AFAIR. And it was a NIGHTMARE. I can't imagine the NHL playing OTs like that. Absolutely no defense, no tactics, nothing. Shootouts suck, too, but 3-on-3 is such a bad idea.

So what would happen if someone got a penalty in OT? 3 on 2 power play? Thats stupid.

The YoungStars game was played in a 3-on-3 format this year AFAIR. And it was a NIGHTMARE. I can't imagine the NHL playing OTs like that. Absolutely no defense, no tactics, nothing. Shootouts suck, too, but 3-on-3 is such a bad idea.

To be fair, you can't use the YoungStars game as a valid example of 3 on 3. Of course there is no defense and tactics, there is absolutely nothing at stake, it's just for fun, and the guys never played with each other before. What were you expecting?

I cant stand the shootout. Its really annoying and has nothing to do with the sport.

So what would happen if someone got a penalty in OT? 3 on 2 power play? Thats stupid.

You'd have the same thing that happens now during 4 on 4, if there are 2 penalties called on a team the opposing team gets a 5 on 3, not a 4 on 2.

That said I've seen 3 on 3 a few times over the years, it's pretty bad. There aren't enough passing options so it's man on man defense and it's a skating contest for the most part.