Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

if the mets can finish off this game i wont be bothered too much by a loss tonight. i said this team HAD to win the series, meaning at least win 3 out 4.. and they are about to at least accomplish that

edit: Mets win. 3 out of 3... 4 out of 4 would be INSANE.

Edited by nmigliore

5 game winning streak, back to back shutouts of a good hitting team...just amazing with this kind of roster. They've turned it around at the right time. Even if we lose the 2nd game of this double header, with guys slated to start trickling back from the DL in approx 10-14 days they've proven enough to be cautious buyers tomorrow.

I never thought they'd have a pulse this late in the season, though it's really not "late" yet but you get the idea.

Edited by '7'

5 game winning streak, back to back shutouts of a good hitting team...just amazing with this kind of roster. They've turned it around at the right time. Even if we lose the 2nd game of this double header, with guys slated to start trickling back from the DL in approx 10-14 days they've proven enough to be cautious buyers tomorrow.

i guess so, but i still dont want any rentals.. and i hope those rumblings about a lefty reliever aren't true. Wagner is due back very soon.. the only intriguing lefty reliever name would be Scott Downs, or George Sherrill but he would cost too much.. but Downs is under contract for 2010 and hes been a nice reliever for toronto for a few years now that can get both righties and lefties out.

you brought up willingham the other day; i think he would be an awesome pick up to play LF and hes under control for more years than Dunn which makes him more worth it.

Edited by nmigliore

Mets team is doing everything right for now and a good win and series so far vs. Colorado. mets second shutout in a row and their 5th win in a row to pull 2 games under .500. Keep it going Mets and soon enough they will have Reyes, Beltran and Delgado back sometime in August. Stay in the WC race and they are 9.5 GB of the Phillies for the division. The WC still looks good for the Mets and Santana pitched a good game today for his 12th win (12-8).

i really am getting sick of this terrible base running... fvcking tuesday night reed did the same thing and got caught.. now pagan gets caught.. i blame jerry for letting that happen. he probably called for it, the idiot.

Edited by nmigliore

3-1...well they lost this one. They weren't going to win every game. Jerry kept Niese in too long.

damn, sounds grim for Beltran. If he can't play center then why bother spotting him. The way they're describing it it doesn't sound like he's going to be much help at all for us this year. Why bring him back?

Edited by '7'

tomorrow should be an interesting deadline .. i expect the mets to do nothing though.

(edit: hmm some rumors that rays are looking to dump salary (kazmir, pena, crawford could be moved) to make room for a V-Mart trade.. imagine if minaya got kazmir and pena? that would be insane.. i think i would jump on that deal.. kazmir gives us #2 starter and pena gives us a bat. i doubt they would deal crawford though.. i doubt anything comes of this though considering there is always a bunch of wild rumors at the deadline.)

Edited by nmigliore

tomorrow should be an interesting deadline .. i expect the mets to do nothing though.

(edit: hmm some rumors that rays are looking to dump salary (kazmir, pena, crawford could be moved) to make room for a V-Mart trade.. imagine if minaya got kazmir and pena? that would be insane.. i think i would jump on that deal.. kazmir gives us #2 starter and pena gives us a bat. i doubt they would deal crawford though.. i doubt anything comes of this though considering there is always a bunch of wild rumors at the deadline.)

The thing that would worry me about Pena is that he's already 31, his K's have gotten higher each year (he'll hit 200 this season) and his OBP has gone down as well. BA only .215

Still draws a ton of walks but Citi is going to eat up some of his home runs. I'd rather have Crawford, he's more built for the ballpark and wouldn't create a logjam at 1st. At 8.2 mil...maybe they would consider dealing him?

The thing that would worry me about Pena is that he's already 31, his K's have gotten higher each year (he'll hit 200 this season) and his OBP has gone down as well. BA only .215

Still draws a ton of walks but Citi is going to eat up some of his home runs. I'd rather have Crawford, he's more built for the ballpark and wouldn't create a logjam at 1st. At 8.2 mil...maybe they would consider dealing him?

i would think they are more willing to deal pena than crawford since martinez could replace pena at 1B/DH and plus as you noted pena isn't having that good of a year, while crawford is having a terrific year.

i like pena because of his good OBP and his power.. im hoping that .215 average is just a fluke.. if he got it back up to where he was last year (.247) he would be like adam dunn.

i dont think it would cost much either if you think about it... both guys (kazmir/pena) have salaries that Tampa seems desperate to move since they want V-Mart.. and both guys aren't exactly havign good years; Kazmir is injury prone and has struggled this year (hes been pretty fair in june and july though) while Pena is hitting .215.

Edited by nmigliore

Suppose the deal for Pena and Kazmir goes down...what to do with Delgado?

well next year he just wont be resigned.. but for the rest of this year, i really dont know. they could always stick him on waivers and trade him but the problem is he is coming off of surgery and you dont know how good or bad he will be.. so what team will even bite?

if anything the mets will probably just get 1 of those guys, like kazmir.. i dont think any of this happens though... the rumor seems to have been shot down now and the talks were only 'brief' .. again i expect the mets to do nothing.

Edited by nmigliore

I figured they would do nothing so I'm not the slightest surprised.. at least they weren't dumb enough to trade anything for LaRoche or a lefty reliever.

They are eventually getting back Wagner, Reyes, Delgado, and Beltran.. thats better than any trade.