Pelley Practicing With Devils This Morning

Devil Dan 56

TG alludes to Sutter wanting to play Leblond limited ice time and then double shift Elias or Zach on that line, thus making it more of a scoring threat...

Are you kidding me?

So have Holik out there for 5 minutes is more productive than having Leblond out there...and what are you going to do if you get into OT. You can play Holik in OT, he's been defensively responsible, and he can still win key faceoffs (think he's done that against Brind'amour once or a THOUSAND times in his career?). You can still double shift Elias/Parise...I'm all for it...but no need for Leblond to be out there.

Holik has not been defensively responsible - he takes runs at guys then it takes him 10 years to get back into the play. He should not play a shift in a playoff overtime.

I like this idea of double-shifting much more than I like rolling 4 true lines. Elias-Rolston-Clarkson or Parise-Rolston-Clarkson has as much offense as most 2nd lines in the NHL, and is certainly better than almost anyone's 3rd line. That said, Rupp over Leblond seems to make a lot more sense for a ton of reasons.

Edited by Triumph

TG alludes to Sutter wanting to play Leblond limited ice time and then double shift Elias or Zach on that line, thus making it more of a scoring threat...

Are you kidding me?

So have Holik out there for 5 minutes is more productive than having Leblond out there...and what are you going to do if you get into OT. You can play Holik in OT, he's been defensively responsible, and he can still win key faceoffs (think he's done that against Brind'amour once or a THOUSAND times in his career?). You can still double shift Elias/Parise...I'm all for it...but no need for Leblond to be out there.

Holik is so slow I'm not even sure how defensively responsible he can be against anybody whose offense is good or who has speed.

Also, if it's in OT and Holik takes a stupid hooking penalty in the offensive zone that negates a lot of faceoff wins and possible defensive play.

I'd still play Holik over P3L but I don't think the value added between the two is vast. Holik having a modicum of offense probably tips the scale for me.

Edit: Double shifting Elias and Parise is great. These guys have only played 18 minutes or so a game all year while a lot of top guys play 20 or so. Adding an extra 2 minutes a game of ice time for Parise and Elias give the Devils a lot more quality on the ice and shouldn't wear them out.

Edited by Devils731

Double-shifting would be great, but we won't see it until we're behind.

Pray that 2 goals per is enough to win 4 games in this series, folks.

So the Devils 15th ranked offense is going to be completely shut down by the 8th ranked defense but Carolina's 16th best offense won't be bothered by the Devils 4th best defense?

I know you didn't really say that but it came off pessimistic to me, like the Devils have no shot to score so let's hope Carolina can't score while the regular season would suggest reversing that thought would make more sense.

Leblond actually had a "sorta" scoring chance where he shoved the puck at the net. He's lost defensively though and gets around 2 minutes a period. I don't know why he would play in a playoff game over either of the other two, though.

I love PL3, I'm already on record with that. But I can't see that he's ready for NHL playoff hockey. For one he tends to take bad penalties at bad times, and with the way the PK has been going you really don't need a reason beyond that IMO. But we'll see.

Pelley worked wonders in Low Hell on the PK unit. He won face-offs, he checked the $#!+ out of the other players, and he was quite fearless in the corners. Plus he's not a push-over when the gloves come off. That said, I'm guessing he won't get much ice time in the playoffs as long as everyone stays healthy and plays their @$$&$ off. But if somebody starts acting like they're entitled to a roster spot, Roddy will definitely get a go.

I'm a little concerned that Bergfors isn't there, at least for the practice squad. He took a puck to the mouth Saturday, near the end of the game, so maybe he's just getting some dental work done and he'll be there tomorrow. If not, if he doesn't at least get to hang around this post-season, you should be hearing loud cheers from his home town of S

It is intriguing that the lines are the same - perhaps Sutter is convinced that since Leblond is a +2 he's doing something right out there. I didn't see much of the game vs. Carolina, but I suspect that's not the case.

PL3 wasn't actually that bad. I never saw him out of position but then again, he (or Holik or Rupp) shouldn't see that much time in the playoffs anyway. If Holik didn't take bad penalties, he'd be fine. But whatever small amount of plusses he has (faceoffs, "toughness") are negated and then some by his awful penchant for taking unnecessary penalties.

Look - the Canes are going to try to exploit the bottom two lines, no matter what menagerie Sutter comes up with. They just have to concentrate on defense - keep the play to the outside and don't get caught running around.

Look - the Canes are going to try to exploit the bottom two lines, no matter what menagerie Sutter comes up with. They just have to concentrate on defense - keep the play to the outside and don't get caught running around.

Easy enough

Leblond actually had a "sorta" scoring chance where he shoved the puck at the net.

yep and he looked as awkward with his scoring chance as janssen used to. if we have a guy playing wing he needs to put that puck on net when it bounces to him, even if it is the 4th line. holik and rupp can do that. and yes so can pelley if we call on him.

As slow as Holik is, I still like his experience and spark. Say what you will about the guy, but he's got undeniable passion. The Devils will need some of that if they want to be successful. Thankfully, passion is in no shortage this year, from players like Parise and Elias and Clarkson. But I think at this point, I'd give Holik the benefit of the doubt before benching him for the playoffs.

As slow as Holik is, I still like his experience and spark. Say what you will about the guy, but he's got undeniable passion. The Devils will need some of that if they want to be successful. Thankfully, passion is in no shortage this year, from players like Parise and Elias and Clarkson. But I think at this point, I'd give Holik the benefit of the doubt before benching him for the playoffs.

that and holik is unmatched in a press conference

that and holik is unmatched in a press conference

Also in "guys who look like a 1930s Universal monster but sound like a muppet."

Neither helps us win games. If Holik costs us this series with his lazy penalty-taking, so help me I'll take the bolts out of his neck myself.

My preference for who gets in, in this order

1) Rupp -- smarter than in the past, fewer dumb penalties, good physical play.

2) Pelley -- Faster than Holik, some NHL experience, not gonna give you much, but won't kill you.

3) Holik -- veteran, but bad lately

4) Leblond -- not ready, but better athlete than Holik

If Bergfors can play, I'd like him to practice with them. If a scorer gets hurt, the big guys aren't going to replace him. I don't know that Bergfors can, but he's at least the right kind of player.

Why do you guys hate on tough players so much especially during playoff time. Yeah some take bad penalties, but just because fights go down doesn't mean physical play as a whole does. Playoff hockey is the most intense hockey out there. So, it pains me to see Bergfors name thrown around he plays like a bitch. I'm not going to say Leblond deserves it even though I enjoy watching him play, but he is doing Holik's and especially RUPP's job and doing it better. Im sick of seeing us "afraid to take penalties" when people run Marty over it's damn discraceful. I see allot of hockey fans say we are a tough team and I highly disagree. We have tough players who are held back because we are afraid to take penalties. I hate the "dumb" penalties like the Holik interference but when the Devils are afraid to stick up for eachother to avoid penalties it makes me sick because thats how Booins play and I hate it. Like in the Ottawa game when Leblond stepped in and beatup Winchester after the multiple hits on Clarkson that showed allot, also I forget who it was but a 'cane ran into Marty and PL3 chewed him out but didn't do anything to get a penalty atleast let other players know that they won't stand for Marty getting run over. As a big fan of physical hockey I had to get this off my chest. GO DEVILS!!