Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elias FTW

Keys for winning game 7

24 posts in this topic

Ok, we lost game 6 but it's not the end of the world. The Devils havent played in a game 7 since the 03' SC final against Anaheim. Alot, of the Devils have not yet played in a game 7 (Parise, Zajac, Greene, Oduya, Clarkson just to name a few). This is where Zach Parise needs to prove he is a truly elite player in this league. This is where Travis Zajac shows that he is capable of being that #1 center. Here are a few of my thoughts on keys to winning game 7:

Hit, Hit, Hit- The Devils have had the most success when throwing their body around (see game 1). It is important to wear down their defense just like they have been doing to us recently. Rupp, Clarkson and even Zubrus must hit hard.

Establish a solid forecheck- The Devils didnt play the dump and chase tonight, they played the dump. I can count on my fingers the number of times the Devils actually chased the puck after dump ins. If you dont forecheck hard you just give the other team the puck and waste a chance to maintain it.

Draw plenty of penalties- As much as we may not want to admit it, the Canes have done a much better job of drawing penalties by using their speed. It's time for the Devils to do the same. Even though the Devils' PP has been impotent, they have to come through sometime...right?

This all comes down to one game, I fully expect the Devils to come out and show game 1 intensity. If not, then I see Carolina winning. This team has done too well to have the season end by the fvcking Candycanes. No team with the exception of St.Louis has dealt with the same amount of adversity as we have. Feel free to add your keys as well

We need to not allow 30+ shots on goal in a game. I think thats pretty damn simple, three straight games we let that happen, its disgusting how bad the defense has been at clearing the zone.

We need to not allow 30+ shots on goal in a game. I think thats pretty damn simple, three straight games we let that happen, its disgusting how bad the defense has been at clearing the zone.

single biggest disappointment, and achilles' heel -- the Devs D has been doing it with smoke and mirrors all year, and they have been exposed in this series. The reason I'll be stunned if this team makes it out of the east . . .

exactly.

marty was making some awesome saves and the D couldn't clear the da*mn puck.

i just hope marty doesn't lose any of his intensity cause the rest of the team decided not to show tonight

Our no-name defense proves why no one cares to know any of their names.

remember that i said it before the series started and then just make my prediction come true.

1. Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner dominate and get on the scoreboard.

2. Score on the damn PP when given the oppurtunities.

3. Stay out of the penalty box, take no dumb penalties and play a solid PK.

4. Play Devils hockey the way it should be played like games 1, 2, 3, 3rd period of 4 and 5.

5. give a swift kick in the ass to Elias, Rolston, Zubrus and Shanahan to wake the fvck up and get on the scoreboard. Show up for Game 7.

6. Brodeur to play like he did in Game 5 on home ice.

7. Pandolfo-Madden-Shanahan line keep the Staal line in check. Do not let that line score. Devils have won when that line is off the scoreboard.

remember that i said it before the series started and then just make my prediction come true.

I do not recall. I remember you said 7 games but didn't remember your keys.

langenbrunner has to not shave his beard. he pissed off the hockey gods by using a razor and doing this goatee sh!t.

5. give a swift kick in the ass to Elias, Rolston, Zubrus and Shanahan to wake the fvck up and get on the scoreboard. Show up for Game 7.

Shanahan has been fine and Elias is clearly injured or sick. Zubrus, I don't know what his deal is, and there is no bringing back the good Rolston, at least this year. Whether it's the high ankle sprain or something else, this is the Rolston that we'll have for at least the rest of this year, maybe for another four.

7. Pandolfo-Madden-Shanahan line keep the Staal line in check. Do not let that line score. Devils have won when that line is off the scoreboard.

The problem with this is that it implies that Sutter is line matching. Not only does line matching in general screw up the team, but putting out a line that does absolutely nothing against the opponent's best line is asking for a loss.

Forecheck, score the first goal.

The Rock is a real tough place to play when we have the lead. But us the fans tend to quiet down when we are down. These are just my feelings after 2 years at the rock. If we get the first goal, make some big hits, the Rock gets crazy.

This team cant get discouraged if they are apply a lot of early pressure and Ward shuts the door. Keep at it for 60 fvcking minutes. I refuse to see handshakes ending in misery for the 2nd straight year at the Rock.

The problem with this is that it implies that Sutter is line matching. Not only does line matching in general screw up the team, but putting out a line that does absolutely nothing against the opponent's best line is asking for a loss.

It worked for the games the Devils won in this series when Staal is off the scoreboard and no where to be found. The games the Devils lost, Staal was clearly into the game and was on the scoreboard like games 4 and 6.

You maybe right about Elias as he does not look like the Elias of this season before his injury late in the season. No excuses for Zubrus and Shanahan. it has been 5-months plus for Rolston and he needs to get it going in game 7 especially on the point on the PP. he hesitates while on the PP and he does not let that rocket of a shot go. Instead he looks around most of the time to pass up the puck. It is Game 7 and these veterans have been here before and they need to step up and be accountable. The veterans have to get this win...

As much as I hate to admit it, the Canes fans did a really great job of making the place hellish to play in (even if Tarzan noises and incest were part of it). Devils fans have to make as much noise as possible and support the boys

Shanahan has been fine and Elias is clearly injured or sick. Zubrus, I don't know what his deal is, and there is no bringing back the good Rolston, at least this year. Whether it's the high ankle sprain or something else, this is the Rolston that we'll have for at least the rest of this year, maybe for another four.

well said, i've stated elsewhere that i agree.

Our no-name defense proves why no one cares to know any of their names.

/Agreed

We need to put the puck on goal and actually shoot on the powerplay.

O ya and less then 35 shots would be nice.

If zubrus scores in overtime.... or if he has like a hatrick i will personally write an apology letter to him and his family explaining to them how wrong I was. Otherwise I think he should be scratched stick clarkson on that line and put holik on the fourth again there more aggresive together. That would be fun.

SCORE SCORE SCORE PARISE

When Mottau-White is on the ice in the offensive zone nobody needs to cover them.

Edited by Cowutopia

Stop with the weak clearing attempts. HIT someone like Stevens would. Man up! Dump and line changes doesn't work well when that change only plays once again in your own end.

Play in your defensive zone, weak clear/dump, line change, play in your defensive zone, weak clear/dump-line change and back in your defensive zone....repeat. Don't score many goals this way.

one key to game 7..... I said it before the series started. Crash the net. go to the net, bump ward, stand 2 inches in front of ward and get the puck to the net!!!! rebounds. crash the net. make wards life a living hell tuesday night.

Listen to me about the new lines

Parise -- Zajac -- Langenbrunner

Elias -- Gionta -- Shanahan

Pandolfo -- Madden -- Clarkson

Rolston -- Pelley -- Rupp (5-7 minutes)

Extra: Zubrus

Martin -- Salvador

Oduya -- Greene

White -- Mottau

1st PP

Parise -- Elias -- Gionta -- Langenbrunner -- Martin

2nd PP

Shanahan -- Zajac -- Clarkson -- Oduya -- Greene

1st PK

Madden -- Pandolfo -- Salvador -- Martin

2nd PK

Shanahan -- Zajac -- Mottau -- Salvador/Greene

My keys:

1. Score early to get the fans even more into the game and often to keep them into the game.

2. Hit somebody. The one game we really hit them we won 4-1. (Game 1)

3. Stay out of the damn box.

4. Clear the puck out of the fvcking zone and not make stupid passes instead that go right to the canes.

5. Score on our PP

6. Marty must play his best game of the series in Game 7

7. Don't let the canes carry the puck past the red line. Get in their face.

8. Show some intensity and play like this was Game 7 of the Finals.

9. ZZ Pops must show up and dominate.

If we do this we will win Game 7.

Stop with the weak clearing attempts. HIT someone like Stevens would. Man up! Dump and line changes doesn't work well when that change only plays once again in your own end.

Play in your defensive zone, weak clear/dump, line change, play in your defensive zone, weak clear/dump-line change and back in your defensive zone....repeat. Don't score many goals this way.

The weak clearing attempts drive me insane. Sometimes I wonder if we are the only one's that notice the Canes seem to stay in our zone as long as they damn well please. There is no urgency and half of the clearing attempts are half assed.

And another thing is can Sutter please please please for the love of God stop with his obsession with the checking line. I beg him to stop it!!!

Edited by Top Shelf

Listen to me about the new lines

Parise -- Zajac -- Langenbrunner

Elias -- Gionta -- Shanahan

Pandolfo -- Madden -- Clarkson

Rolston -- Pelley -- Rupp (5-7 minutes)

Extra: Zubrus

Martin -- Salvador

Oduya -- Greene

White -- Mottau

1st PP

Parise -- Elias -- Gionta -- Langenbrunner -- Martin

2nd PP

Shanahan -- Zajac -- Clarkson -- Oduya -- Greene

1st PK

Madden -- Pandolfo -- Salvador -- Martin

2nd PK

Shanahan -- Zajac -- Mottau -- Salvador/Greene

I like White over Greene/Sal on the PK. Also, I would agree with you about Pelley, but he hasn't played a game with these guys all season. It's a bit late to get him used to it. Otherwise, completely agree.

The team that has scored first has won every game but the 2nd game. The Devils were the better team in the 2nd game up until the last few minutes of the third, and ot. Scoring first is a big one. The Devils need a few early dominate shifts with a goal being a result of one of them. And after that first step, they need to keep taking it to them. Other than the 1st game of the series, the Devils have been going flat after scoring a goal.