Lamoriello may be relieved of business duties

gionta182

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/04...e_relieved.html

A report in Street & Smyth's Sports Business Journal says Lamoriello will be relieved of his business responsibilities with the team, allowing him to concentrate solely on hockey.

According to the story, Devils chairman Jeff Vanderbeek and the Devils hired the executive search firm James & Co. to fill the position. The team is looking for someone with extensive experience managing a sports franchise's business operations.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather he concentrate on business and leave the team building to someone else ... hes been on the wrong end of the ledger lately...

yeah i mean all the guys out there that are better than him. please name 10 general managers with a better track record than lou lamoriello in any sport over the last 10 years.

It's a good decision but who knows how Lou will take it.

Lou was asked earlier in the year about Zach Parise's emergence as a real superstar in this league, and if he would like to use that opportunity to market him around Jersey. His answer was as long as I am around that won't be happening. No one is above the team and it's about the front of the jersey and not the back. Made me role my eyes.

It has been known that the Devils poor attendance has been partly Lou's fault. There was never any effort to attract new fans. 12000-14000 fans a night was perfectly acceptable to him. Any other President in the league or any sport for that matter would have been fired with the teams success and those numbers.

yeah i mean all the guys out there that are better than him. please name 10 general managers with a better track record than lou lamoriello in any sport over the last 10 years.
/

I think its time for new choices.. what are we suppose to do if we cant get past the first round in the next 5 years? stay the course because you want drink kool aid? Grow up - everything changes.

It's about damn time. I doubt he's upset. He and VBK probably discussed and agreed on things. Hopefully they hire a marketing genius.

dr33, I'd imagine what Lou said could be interpreted as as long as he's in charge. Well, he's not anymore.

Lou was asked earlier in the year about Zach Parise's emergence as a real superstar in this league, and if he would like to use that opportunity to market him around Jersey. His answer was as long as I am around that won't be happening. No one is above the team and it's about the front of the jersey and not the back. Made me role my eyes.

Wonder what he thinks of a certain mb30 mask? :P

/

I think its time for new choices.. what are we suppose to do if we cant get past the first round in the next 5 years? stay the course because you want drink kool aid? Grow up - everything changes.

So we should fire one of a handful of GM's that have made the playoffs every year since the lockout just because he hasn't won a Cup since 2003? Man I'd hate to see some of you as Islander fans.

So we should fire one of a handful of GM's that have made the playoffs every year since the lockout just because he hasn't won a Cup since 2003? Man I'd hate to see some of you as Islander fans.

If a team with the greatest goaltender of all time didn't consistently make the playoffs, it'd be pretty sad. Also, again, most of the success post 2003 has still been because of players acquired before the lockout, or from the farm system. The trades and signings that Lou has made since 2003 have pretty consistently NOT helped matters. It's unbelievable that people can think Lou has done a good job since we last won the cup. If Marty didn't voluntarily take a paycut we'd be in even worse trouble.

Edited by metallidevils

If a team with the greatest goaltender of all time didn't consistently make the playoffs, it'd be pretty sad. Also, again, most of the success post 2003 has still been because of players acquired before the lockout, or from the farm system. The trades and signings that Lou has made since 2003 have pretty consistently NOT helped matters. It's unbelievable that people can think Lou has done a good job since we last won the cup. If Marty didn't voluntarily take a paycut we'd be in even worse trouble.

I don't care what Lou has to do- he's gotta get Bouwmeester. It's not everyday you get a shot at a guy like that. And there's nothing this team needs more than a big-time defenseman.

I knew someone would use the Brodeur line. Fact is Scott Clemmensen and Kevin Weekes (32 wins) had a bit more to do with making the playoffs this year than Brodeur did (18 wins). That alone should negate that argument.

The farm system doesn't count? That's part of Lou's job description. Since the lockout we've had Parise, Zajac, Oduya and Clarkson become key regulars on a team already filled with vets. Less than half this team was here before the lockout.

I'm not saying he's done a great job, his FA imports have clearly left a ton to be desired (as have his coaching choices for that matter) but it certainly isn't fire-worthy. Especially given his track record which should earn a lot more leeway than spoiled fans are willing to give.

Name me one GM available that has a better track record than Lou that you want to bring in to replace him. And if you want to say we need new blood for the sake of new blood, you'd better be prepared to accept the risk that things are far more likely to get worse than better under the next GM.

Edited by Hasan4978

ask those GMs that had the "Great" Luongo too.... 2 playoff appearances in his "2nd best guy in the league" career