The Movies thread!

CRASHER

Didn't like V for Vendetta??? I thought that movie was amazing too.... but I also loved Matrix Reloaded and was one of the ten people who got the third one :P

I actually loved V for Vendetta. Problem is, they didn't direct that movie...they only wrote the screenplay and from what I understand, much of the screenplay is lifted from the comic, so I can't give them too much credit for it.

Oh, and I'm the second person who bought Matrix Revolutions...used...for 6 bucks...at Blockbuster....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually loved V for Vendetta. Problem is, they didn't direct that movie...they only wrote the screenplay and from what I understand, much of the screenplay is lifted from the comic, so I can't give them too much credit for it.

Well, the Wachowski's didn't direct this movie either, nor did they write it, so maybe there's still hope for you... I don't think the Wachowski's are that great either. The first Matrix almost got ruined by its sequels, but I did like Speed Racer. A truly insane fun flick, although it is actualy a pretty bad movie.

Saw The Men Who Stare at Goats the other night. It has some funny moments but the last half hour just drags on and really isn't going anywhere. Watch it if you wanna see George Clooney at his comedic best, or Jeff Bridges in a role reminsicent of the Dude.

Well, the Wachowski's didn't direct this movie either, nor did they write it, so maybe there's still hope for you... I don't think the Wachowski's are that great either. The first Matrix almost got ruined by its sequels, but I did like Speed Racer. A truly insane fun flick, although it is actualy a pretty bad movie.

Saw The Men Who Stare at Goats the other night. It has some funny moments but the last half hour just drags on and really isn't going anywhere. Watch it if you wanna see George Clooney at his comedic best, or Jeff Bridges in a role reminsicent of the Dude.

I'm not hating on the Wachowski's, I just don't think they ever lived up to the marvel of the Matrix. Good point though on Ninja Assassin although I probably wont run out to see it since I have very little to run out and see anything these days!

Also, glad to hear you enjoyed Men Who Stare At Goats. That's one of those I would really like to see, given the chance. Tonight, I think I'm going to watch Star Trek on glorious Blue Ray. Hell, anything would be better than watching the Devs on MSG +2!

So I saw Ninja Assassin last night... and yes the violence was awesome and all... the story idea was kinda cool.... but yeah the whole movie felt as a MISS

it had such potential... and too damn many flashbacks :P

New Movie Review

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Winner of a few Grand Jury Awards at Sundance and another at Toronto, Precious is the intensely emotional story of an overweight and illiterate 16 year old named Precious who suffers insults, molestation and abuse while living in the mean streets of 1980

So I saw Ninja Assassin last night... and yes the violence was awesome and all... the story idea was kinda cool.... but yeah the whole movie felt as a MISS

it had such potential... and too damn many flashbacks :P

The story, based solely on the trailer, looks to be too much like Dark Knight. Crazy good ninja is trained, crazy good ninja breaks rank at the last minute, etc, etc. The action looks to be pretty cool, but if I'm going to invest two hours in something, there better be more than a rehash of old ideas with some "Matrix-esqe" tracking shots.

The story, based solely on the trailer, looks to be too much like Dark Knight. Crazy good ninja is trained, crazy good ninja breaks rank at the last minute, etc, etc. The action looks to be pretty cool, but if I'm going to invest two hours in something, there better be more than a rehash of old ideas with some "Matrix-esqe" tracking shots.

Yeah it kinda was in that way (you mean Batman Begins though :P

the action was hardly Matrix-like except in one or two spots... was a bloodier version of "300" actually

but even that got boring an hour in......

I just saw The Road yesterday and wow. It was a pretty crazy movie. Very emotional; very good acting. You really feel for the characters. I had to drive about 45 minutes to Montclaire to see it but it was very worth it.

Edited by Crisis

Yeah it kinda was in that way (you mean Batman Begins though :P

the action was hardly Matrix-like except in one or two spots... was a bloodier version of "300" actually

but even that got boring an hour in......

Yeah, yeah, I meant Batman Begins. Good catch! It's funny, I was saying to myself as I was writing it, "Don't say Dark Knight, don't say Dark Knight", when lo and behold, Drew Brees emasculates the Pat's defense for the 400th time and I type, "Dark Knight"! :D

I just saw The Road yesterday and wow. It was a pretty crazy movie. Very emotional; very good acting. You really feel for the characters. I had to drive about 45 minutes to Montclaire to see it but it was very worth it.

Glad to hear you enjoyed The Road, which is on my short list to see before it leaves theaters. From what I hear, both Mortensen and Smit-McPhee put in Oscar worthy performances, but if anybody beats out Waltz in Inglorious Basterds for Best Actor, I'm going to be shocked.

Yeah - whats with the limited release .. i was all ready to see it this w/e but alas, i hope it goes wide and not right to dvd.

Yeah - whats with the limited release .. i was all ready to see it this w/e but alas, i hope it goes wide and not right to dvd.

Like many films in limited release this time of year, it will probably lanugish in limited for the next couple of weeks then disappear just to get re-released wide in mid January when the Oscar nominations get announced.

However, I wouldn't count on it to make enough money to go wide before Christmas. I guess they need all the theater space they can get for the Old Dogs and Twilights of the world...blech...

Edited by Bulletproof

New Movie Review

The Road

On my way out of the Claridge Theater in Montclair, the only place within 50 miles thats even carrying this film by the way, a couple of college age guys were walking behind me, commenting about the movie. They both agreed that its no wonder the film isnt being carried anywhere and there were a few cool parts, but it was soooo sloooow. While I cant agree with their overall analysis, there is one thing thats very evident in John Hillcoats The Road: The apocalypse is nigh and, yes, its going to take its sweet damn time.

The Road is the film adaptation of the Cormac McCarthys epic novel of the same name and chronicles a father and son (Viggo Mortensen and Kodi McPhee respectively) who, after a an unknown apocalyptic event, is traveling south in a barren American wasteland a least a decade after. Before I continue, be aware that I may reference the other post apocalyptic film released recently, I Am Legend as they are similar in set up, but polar opposites in theme, scope and style. Lets just say, if I Am Legend is a rock concert, The Road is a beautiful sonata.

One of the first things you notice when this film starts is how beautifully the disaster is shot, and with about half of the film being long shots of father and son walking through waste, it sure as heck better be. No worries in that department though, as this is how I always envisioned the end would be. Where I Am Legend is all lush vegetation and badly CGIed mutants, the world of The Road is sparse, chilling and unnerving. The world isnt just ridding itself of humans, its rotting from the inside out. What makes the sense of dread even more palpable, is how you never quite know how the world got into this state. This takes the focus off of the horror of the devastation and puts the attention squarely on the relationship between Mortensen and young McPhee.

The father / son relationship is where the film truly shines and separates itself from the standard end of the world type fare. The disaster is merely a setting for what really is a character study of a father and son pressing on together in the most impossible of situations. Both McPhee and Mortensen turn in award worthy performances that pulse with true feeling and emotion. Towards the end, the film starts to tilt towards melodrama with over-emotional results, but by then I was so invested in the characters, I gave the film a pass. The flashback scenes between Mortensen and Charlize Theron, as Mortensens wife, also leave something to be desired as they seem thin and undeveloped.

In the end, though, The Road is a patient, thoughtful and very emotional film that showcases excellent performances by the male leads. The film isnt all sap and sadness as there are moments of genuine fun as well as graphic scenes that show how depraved the bad guys have gotten in this world of non-plenty. The majority of the film, however, is a frightening, sad and unrelenting view of two people trying to survive in a world gone to waste. While the film does move at a glacial pace, the end of humanity as we know it shouldnt have to be a massive explosion or a swarm of mutants. Sometimes its more evocative to just watch the world simply wither away.

Rating B+

Edited by Bulletproof

Opening This Week Nationwide

Invictus This weekends big opening directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon is the story of how Nelson Mandela utilizes the South African rugby team to inspire a nation. Early reviews are very positive, with most reviewers praising both Freeman and Damons performance as among their best, Damon especially as the captain of the South African rugby team. The rest of the film looks to be fairly by the numbers, but with strong acting like this, its definitely worth a look, if not in theaters, then definitely when its released on DVD.

Opening This Week Limited Release

The Lovely Bones Directed by Peter Jackson, this adaptation of the acclaimed novel by Alice Sebold about a murdered 14 year old girl who looks down from heaven on her parents as well as her murderer. Initially set to be released in March, this film has been getting lukewarm reviews with many reviewers saying its too much CGI and not enough good acting. Fans of the book, though, will probably enjoy this adaptation if only for comparative purposes. *NOTE* - This film will be opening wide on Christmas Day.

A Single Man The story of a British college professor, played by Colin Firth, who is trying to find meaning in his life after the death of his long time partner. Critics have been very positive about this movie, saying this is one of the best performances Firth has given in his career. Whiel the subject matter seems to be a touch on the sad side, look for this to possibly get an Oscar vote or two come January. NOTE This film also opens wide on Christmas Day

The Slammin Salmon Yet another wacky comedy from the Broken Lizard troupe (Super Troopers, Beerfest) involving a retired boxing champion, played by Michael Clarke Duncan, who, in an attempt to pay off a gambling debt, tries to bait the waitstaff of his restaurant to sell as much fish as humanly possible. The winner receives a cash prize, odd considering hes doing this because he owes money, and the loser get s a kick in teeth. Looks like stinking pile and early reviews have been consistent with my thinking.

Other Movie Notes

Just some quick notes, in case you were clamoring to see The Princess and the Frog and it wasnt in your local theater, the film goes wide this weekend. Fans of old school animation or adults who need to entertain the kiddies will do very well in checking this one out.

Edited by Bulletproof

I'm definitely doing Avatar in Imax Experience 3D, it sounds like that's the way to really enjoy the film, it probably falls flat if you see it in 2D.

I have to agree with you on the whole IMAX experience. Maybe the day after Christmas I'll get myself out there to see it. Also, looking forward to seeing Up In The Air when I get the inspiration to get up and get to the theater.

Just Watched – Quick Blurbs

Babel – Winner of the 2006 Oscar for Best Achievement in Music and nominated for a host of other awards, including Best Picture, Babel is an emotionally gripping and powerful story of four families intertwined by tragedy; Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett as a vacationing couple in Morocco, a Moroccan family living in the desert, a Mexican caretaker who takes care of the Pitt’s families children and a Japanese millionaire father and his deaf mute daughter. Director Alejandro González Iñárritu weaves this story much like he did in 2003’s 21 Grams, mixing up time frames and storylines, creating a virtual puzzle that holds your interest for the entire film. On the acting front, Brad Pitt does an adequate job opposite the excellent Cat Blanchett. Of the four storylines, the sexually frustrated deaf-mute Japanese girl was the most disturbing however I felt the story of the Moroccan family held the most emotional weight. Truly an interesting and inventive film, Babel rewards those with the patience to sit through its nearly two and half hour running time and should be a welcome addition to any film fan’s Netflix queue.

Network – Another classic and fantastic film that I never got a chance to see, Network is the winner of 4 Academy Awards in 1977 and is the story of a news show gone sensationalist thanks to the mad ranting and raving of its star news anchor, brilliantly played by Peter Finch, a role for which he received a Best Actor award. Network is easily one of the best written films I’ve ever seen, with a script more than worthy of it’s Best Screenplay Oscar. The film itself is even more relevant today than it was 30 years ago, an era where the idea of news show fighting for ratings could be considered absurd. Today, the idea of taking a news program and turning it into reality television is not only plausible, it’s actually happening. Bitingly satirical, wonderfully acted and superbly directed by Sidney Lummet, Network is one of those must sees for film fans young and old alike.

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle – Now, if you’ve been reading my reviews for any length of time, you know I’m not a fan of stupid teen comedies. To me, if you’re going to be stupid, then you better be soooo stupid, it makes me laugh. White Castle definitely straddles this line and the result is a damn entertaining film. Never mind the Jersey references galore and the too real to be true cameos, White Castle makes up for it’s sometimes shoddy direction and low brow humor with a sense of fun and adventure that rises it above the American Pies of the world. No, this isn’t high art but it’s a really fun time and I had a blast while watching it. A great film to watch with friends who simply want to have a good time, Harold and Kumar go To White Castle is an entertaining flick that’s worth the price of admission. Just make sure you eat up beforehand...all those slider references was putting the “Crave” in me.

Edited by Bulletproof