The Movies thread!

CRASHER

It was definitely in my top 5... a good movie in a summer of a lot of not-so-good ones....

1. Star Trek

2. the Hangover

3. Orphan (seriously, it was the sh!t)

4. District 9

I kinda hope Inglorious Bastards makes this list too... it was fun looking!

The "big name" movies (yes I mean YOU Transformers and T-4) REALLY let me down this year.....

All signs are pointing to Inglorious Bastards being a "return to form" for Tarantino, and man does he need one after Grindhouse.

Finally, I'm hoping my expectations are actually met for once this summer!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bastards is the movie of the year for me.

Quentin developed the history very well, very few parts were boring.

The action scenes were awesome , for say the least. but I did spected a little bit more action.

And was pretty dam Funny.

All these positive reviews on District 9 have really gotten me excited. Unfortunately I have to wait until october to see it over here.

But I'm glad I didnt have to wait so long to see Inglorious Basterds. Tarantino has never let me down (I even liked Death Proof), and his Basterds truly is an awesome movie. Christoph Waltz was amazing as the Jew Hunter. Can't wait to go see it again!!!

Edited by Atterr

But I'm glad I didnt have to wait so long to see Inglorious Basterds. Tarantino has never let me down (I even liked Death Proof), and his Basterds truly is an awesome movie. Christoph Waltz was amazing as the Jew Hunter. Can't wait to go see it again!!!

Agreed. As great as Brad Pitt was, Waltz stole the show. Tremendous performance.

Saw District 9 today ... that was a surprisingly good movie. Bulletproof wrote a great full review in the other movie thread. Like he alluded to, one of the impressive things was how they were able to create a sympathetic character who only existed in the realm of special effects. That's quite a feat. All of the performances from actual actors were tremendous as well. Great plot, great action, it raised intriguing questions about morality and was very well put together. Highly recommended (, although I think I might have enjoyed Basterds more. Close call).

I especially like the potential it leaves for a sequel. It wasn't an ending that demands one, but there really are a ton of possibilities for District 10.

I especially like the potential it leaves for a sequel. It wasn't an ending that demands one, but there really are a ton of possibilities for District 10.

You know, when I left the theater, my brother mentioned to me, "Well, I'll be the first person on line for District 10" and to be honest, I'm not sure if that would be the best idea.

While it's tough to discuss without giving away the ending, suffice to say that a sequel could be a "Matrix-esqe" mistake. The Matrix sequels, in my opinion, weren't terrible but they lacked that magic from the original. A D-9 sequel could fall into the same trap if the writers aren't careful.

I think with D-10, since I assume they'll make one, the writers should try to purposefully lack the magic of D-9 and instead focus on making D-10 have magic of its own.

For me, you could probably make an interesting film about the going ons in D-10, the return of the aliens in the 3 years, the world's consternation on what to do during waiting those 3 years, or all of the above in some form. Really an alternate world was made in D-9 so there are tons of possibilities, IMO.

Maybe I missed it, but the only lingering question I have about D-9 is this: What were the aliens doing by Earth in the first place? It's like they just sorta ran out of gas and Earth was the closest, life sustainable planet they could go to. Why were they in our neighborhood?

They're obviously a race with advanced technological capabilities and have weapons that put ours to shame. The mere fact that they have such advanced weapons shows that they aren't an entirely peaceful race. Did they originally set out to attack Earth? Some other planet? If they weren't, will our inhumane treatment of the prawns spark a war upon Christopher's return?

The Matrix comparison is a really good one. Hopefully, if they do decide to make a D-10, they'll actually do it right instead of butchering the franchise the way Hollywood did with The Matrix.

Oh, and El D, it's because he spelled out "spoiler" in the tags instead of using "sp."

Inglorious Bastards was awesome. Definitely my favourite movie of the year so far, and it's good to be satisfied after The Hangover and Star Trek let me down.

Christoph Waltz was outstanding as others have mentioned. I really enjoyed the long dialogue. The opening scene and the bar scene were great

I liked the first scene as well.

I loved in the opening scene that when they switched to English I assumed it was because the movie wanted to get rid of subtitles, and was going to make everything just be English from then on, but then it turned out there was a real reason and the movie went back to subtitles.

The Matrix comparison is a really good one. Hopefully, if they do decide to make a D-10, they'll actually do it right instead of butchering the franchise the way Hollywood did with The Matrix.

Oh, and El D, it's because he spelled out "spoiler" in the tags instead of using "sp."

Hey!!!! no messing on Matrix Reloaded around me!!!!! I LOVED the Evolution of the Agent Smith character!!!!! :rant:

they kinda mentioned that parts of the ship were damaged or jettisoned before the ship's arrival on Earth, it's possible it was a slave or a prison ship... but that is the kinda stuff you can save for a sequel

Damn...all this D-9 sequel talk, especially given DiG's spoiler tagged lingering question, is really getting me jacked for a potential D-10! My only caveat is great starts like this can ruined quickly. I reference it often but Blade 3 anybody?

Also, is there any way to indicate the movie you're referencing when doing the spoiler tags? I almost clicked on a Basterds spoiler by mistake!

Now, back to watching Trainspotting for 80,000th time... :D

Hey!!!! no messing on Matrix Reloaded around me!!!!! I LOVED the Evolution of the Agent Smith character!!!!! :rant:

they kinda mentioned that parts of the ship were damaged or jettisoned before the ship's arrival on Earth, it's possible it was a slave or a prison ship... but that is the kinda stuff you can save for a sequel

Ya, they mentioned that the ship was full of "non-leaders" since they couldn't do anything other than follow orders really and that they thought all the chiefs might have been killed or lost in some way....or....what if all the chiefs came down in the pod the ship jettisoned(the one they needed to make the ship fly) and they've subtly ingrained themselves into the earth power structure in some way and seeing how the aliens are treated in D-10(or were treated in D-9) will make them start to assert their leadership and smarts in a more overt way.

Just saw Inglourious Basterds for the second time and now I can safely say that it is without a doubt the best film of the year for me. Tarantino's World War II fairy tale might not be his masterpiece (although the last line in the movie might suggest otherwise), but it is great nonetheless. It has great characters (such as Aldo, Landa and Shosanna), some instantly classic scenes, and, most importantly, the best dialogue QT has written since Jackie Brown. The dialogue contains so much unspoken threats and tension, that the violence that follows it almost acts as comic relief. And speaking about comedy, the movie is quite hilarious. I really enjoyed every minute, from the great opening scene to the outrageous ending. Tarantino's back on top form!

Since I had absolutely nothing to do today I also saw G.I. Joe, which I normally wouldn't do as the trailer made it out to be a big dumb action movie. As it turns out, it was dumb in every aspect, but I was surprised that I somewhat enjoyed it.

Edited by Atterr