Playing Lou

Triumph

I only followed Lowell based on game sheets and the game threads here, but Vasyunov seemed a bit inconsistent. Last year was his first full year of hockey after he played spare change in a couple of seasons in Russia with limited ice time. I think he needs more time. If any Russian makes the team I can see it being Zharkov. Sutter was impressed with him last year in camp and from what I have read he is sound defensively, a good penalty killer, and a solid forechecker so he is more suited for a fourth line role than Vasyunov.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only followed Lowell based on game sheets and the game threads here, but Vasyunov seemed a bit inconsistent. Last year was his first full year of hockey after he played spare change in a couple of seasons in Russia with limited ice time. I think he needs more time. If any Russian makes the team I can see it being Zharkov. Sutter was impressed with him last year in camp and from what I have read he is sound defensively, a good penalty killer, and a solid forechecker so he is more suited for a fourth line role than Vasyunov.

Zharkov has a better two way game and is a great skater, but I think Vasuynov has greater upsides to his game, he is more offensivley gifted and I though that the 4th line had enough grind on it in my set up.

To be fair the players called up from lowell this season could go a number of ways, Hallischuk could come up since Lou announced when he was drafted that he was the most NHL ready prospect the devils would have in the entire organisation. Corrente stands a chance although i would prefer it if he was given one more year to really solidify his game in the AHL. Bergfors i think is the only player who should deffinatley make the jump without question.

yeah, from all indications it seems like alex vasuynov isn't ready. hopefully lowell can get him a real center and we'll see if he can't put in a few.

i don't know why we're signing craig anderson - to give marty a rest more often? i see us shopping at the garon/dubliewicz aisle.

i don't know why we're signing craig anderson - to give marty a rest more often? i see us shopping at the garon/dubliewicz aisle.

Yeah pretty much, 37 this year not getting any younger, then again this is the argument every year and it never happens but we paid out $800,000 for Weekes for the year an extra $200,000 for Anderson wouldnt be a bad investment.

I've been to Lowell 4 times this past season so eat your words.

But then again, I'm not the one pronouncing his NHL career DOA from the comfort of my jersey living room.

Wow guys.....So quick to pass judgement.

I'm sorry but 4 games isn't enough to really get a grasp on Rod Pelley's growth or lack of. If you really did, power to you.

I'm sorry but 4 games isn't enough to really get a grasp on Rod Pelley's growth or lack of. If you really did, power to you.

Then should most of the threads on the board be moot because there is some number of times we have to have seen players to have opinions on them? What is that number? We have a draft thread going on, you should go in there and tell the people there that you can't have opinions on these players because you haven't seen them enough.

If he talks to people who watch Lowell all the time who talk about Pelley's defensive play why can't he use that as a basis of opinion?

Also, if he was there and saw Pelley was quicker or stronger, both of which are possible since he is 2 years more mature since he played his last regular stint in the NHL, why couldn't that be seen in 4 games? If his positioning had improved why couldn't that be seen in 4 games?

Then should most of the threads on the board be moot because there is some number of times we have to have seen players to have opinions on them? What is that number? We have a draft thread going on, you should go in there and tell the people there that you can't have opinions on these players because you haven't seen them enough.

If he talks to people who watch Lowell all the time who talk about Pelley's defensive play why can't he use that as a basis of opinion?

Also, if he was there and saw Pelley was quicker or stronger, both of which are possible since he is 2 years more mature since he played his last regular stint in the NHL, why couldn't that be seen in 4 games? If his positioning had improved why couldn't that be seen in 4 games?

I'm not saying that, I just think its rude of him to say assume that his experiences trump everyone else's in the decision if Pelley is ready or not. I think its also abrupt of him to say I've made all of my assessments of Pelley from my living room, because that is simply not true. It's just a disagreement that he has seen and I have, but he is just as fast to pass judgement as he is to tell me to eat my words. I apologize for being rash, if thats how its interpreted by LA, but my thoughts on Pelley are supported.

To the point, I am not saying Pelley's career is DOA but he certainly needs more improvement to make a positive impact on the Devils.

Team 3 - Darth Vader From the Planet Vulcan

Sign Jaroslav Spacek for 3 years, 11 million dollars

Sign Steve Begin for 2 years, 2 million dollars

Sign Goalie X at 2 years, 1.2 million dollars

Sign Petr Vrana, 1 year, 500,000 dollars

Trade Bryce Salvador and a 2nd round pick to Montreal for a 3rd round pick

Waive Jay Pandolfo

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Zubrus-Bergfors

Vrana-Rolston-Clarkson

PL

Edited by Triumph

I like this line-up... Spacek and Begin are "seasoned" which is what lou likes. There is also alot of youth in this Group... Corrente, Halischuk, Vrana, Bergfors, PL3 with a good group of veterans...

I think I like this group of the 3 so far.

Vrana is a playmaker.. and he isn't really a center but niether is rolston. Being on a line with Rolston will take pressure off of Vrana.

Bergfors might not Do so well with Zubrus but should be a good compliment to Elias and on the 2nd PP.

I would probably keep Mottau and White together and Let Spacek and Corrente play together.

I'm not saying that, I just think its rude of him to say assume that his experiences trump everyone else's in the decision if Pelley is ready or not. I think its also abrupt of him to say I've made all of my assessments of Pelley from my living room, because that is simply not true. It's just a disagreement that he has seen and I have, but he is just as fast to pass judgement as he is to tell me to eat my words. I apologize for being rash, if thats how its interpreted by LA, but my thoughts on Pelley are supported.

To the point, I am not saying Pelley's career is DOA but he certainly needs more improvement to make a positive impact on the Devils.

My intention was not to be rash or rude, and not directed at you personally.

My point was other people do this constantly, without any basis.

I just grown sick of some (not all) of the "learned hockey minds" passing a sweeping judgement (harshly to I might add) on a young guy like Rod Pelley, without having seen him actually play live in the last 2 years.

I think Rod deserves a few games or so to actually SHOW where he is at. I agree he needs to show improvement from his last tour.

I'm not against differing opinions in a thread like this of course (or New Jersey living rooms)

Some here are real quick to delve out opinion as hockey law. Others are quick to take those opinions and copy them down as official record.

I think we know who those are as well.

Here's my problem with Pelley, if he'd improved from two years ago to last year then why didn't he get any icetime at all this season? I mean for crying out loud we were playing Brookbank at forward, Vrana and Bergfors were getting 30 seconds of icetime per period, even the immortal Patrick Davis played once when we had a million forwards hurt earlier this season.

It seems like a more than fair conclusion to me that two years ago his impact was minimal and last year he didn't even get a shot, so he basically went backwards in management's eyes. I'm not exactly counting on him for anything beyond maybe being a 14th forward.

And Pelley will be 25 going into next year, a year or two old for 'prospect age'.

Edited by Hasan4978

Here's my problem with Pelley, if he'd improved from two years ago to last year then why didn't he get any icetime at all this season? I mean for crying out loud we were playing Brookbank at forward, Vrana and Bergfors were getting 30 seconds of icetime per period, even the immortal Patrick Davis played once when we had a million forwards hurt earlier this season.

It seems like a more than fair conclusion to me that two years ago his impact was minimal and last year he didn't even get a shot, so I'm not exactly counting on him for anything beyond maybe being a 13th forward.

Simple....John Madden/Jay Pandolfo...his role was filled.

He's not a banger, and not a finesse player.

He's a checking/grinder. the more important question is can he do what Madden does for less?

And is he hungry?

There's something about cup hunger thats intangible....on this team we need more younglings that are hungry for their 1st.

I think Rupp is going to get a lot of interest around the league. He has an interesting skill set and should come cheap. I am sure some GMs might be all over that.

He clearly feels upset with Sutter even though I get what Sutter was doing for the most part. The only thing I never understood was why Rupp was scratched for one game when they replaced him with PL3 who was quickly called up.

Simple....John Madden/Jay Pandolfo...his role was filled.

He's not a banger, and not a finesse player.

He's a checking/grinder. the more important question is can he do what Madden does for less?

And is he hungry?

There's something about cup hunger thats intangible....on this team we need more younglings that are hungry for their 1st.

hasan makes a good point. basically management saw fit to leave him in the minor leagues (although as i recall, he was injured when the parade to new jersey happened). he will be a minor player - either a 4th line forward or 13th forward, and i'd be shocked if he became more than that. he doesn't have the scoring or playmaking skills to become anything more. and of course he's hungry, but the devils basically kept him on the roster in 08 until they thought of a better idea than giving 5 minutes a game to a guy with no offense and (at that time) little ability to forecheck.

Edited by Triumph

Madden and Pando were here two years ago as well and Pelley played 58 games. He could have possibly filled in as a fourth-line center while Holik was out.

I don't disagree that we probably need an infusion of youth but with the lack of icetime Sutter gave the younger guys early in the season (Vrana, Bergfors) I'm not exactly holding my breath that it will happen barring multiple UFA defections, nor do I have reason to believe Pelley would be a big part of it anyway.

Edited by Hasan4978

Madden and Pando were here two years ago as well and Pelley played 58 games. He could have possibly filled in as a fourth-line center while Holik was out.

I don't disagree that we probably need an infusion of youth but with the lack of icetime Sutter gave the younger guys early in the season (Vrana, Bergfors) I'm not exactly holding my breath that it will happen, nor do I have reason to believe Pelley would be a part of it anyway.

If Madden and Pando are gone then the team might be looking for 4th liners who also kill penalties and he apparently was extremely good on the PK season. I guessed that was the reason he was the only guy from Lowell called up during the post season, just to help the team working on the PK in practice since he was doing that well on it.

If Madden and Pando are gone then the team might be looking for 4th liners who also kill penalties and he apparently was extremely good on the PK season. I guessed that was the reason he was the only guy from Lowell called up during the post season, just to help the team working on the PK in practice since he was doing that well on it.

i think there is little doubt that parise is killing penalties next year. his (as well as Zajac and Langenbrunner's) time on ice must increase. they were each at about 18 minutes a game. top players (1st liners) play closer to 19 1/2 - staal and getzlaf were at 20.

Some here are real quick to delve out opinion as hockey law. Others are quick to take those opinions and copy them down as official record.

Some here are real quick to interpret people sharing opinions as people preaching hockey law. Others are quick to take those who are sharing their opinions and lambast them for being guilty of faulty groupthink.

i think there is little doubt that parise is killing penalties next year. his (as well as Zajac and Langenbrunner's) time on ice must increase. they were each at about 18 minutes a game. top players (1st liners) play closer to 19 1/2 - staal and getzlaf were at 20.

top penalty killers kill around 3 minutes a game. i don't think it's that parise has to kill penalties - i think he's just got to be used more often, double-shifted. he is much smaller than staal and getzlaf, though - having him wear down would be a crime.

Some here are real quick to interpret people sharing opinions as people preaching hockey law. Others are quick to take those who are sharing their opinions and lambast them for being guilty of faulty groupthink.

I think its pretty easy to separate those here who are offering up discussion ("food for thought") from those who have an inflated opinion of their own opinions.

It's all in how its presented.

Edited by DevilinLA

The problem with Parise killing penalties is that he doesnt take faceoffs. Elias was getting first unit pk time when Pando wasnt in the lineup, Zach probably wont displace Langs or Zajac either. The 4th forward on the first two units has to be a guy that is dependable at the dot, and we have never seen Zach consistently take draws at this level. Should he get time in the 3rd pair rotation, probably, but that pair doesnt see PK shifts every time we are down either.

top penalty killers kill around 3 minutes a game. i don't think it's that parise has to kill penalties - i think he's just got to be used more often, double-shifted. he is much smaller than staal and getzlaf, though - having him wear down would be a crime.
The problem with Parise killing penalties is that he doesnt take faceoffs. Elias was getting first unit pk time when Pando wasnt in the lineup, Zach probably wont displace Langs or Zajac either. The 4th forward on the first two units has to be a guy that is dependable at the dot, and we have never seen Zach consistently take draws at this level. Should he get time in the 3rd pair rotation, probably, but that pair doesnt see PK shifts every time we are down either.

you know what - on 2nd thought (with both your help) i agree that parise need not kill penalties but must get more ice time in even strength situations - this obviously coming by way of LESS time for a 3rd or 4th line.

regarding the PK though, who besides

langenbrunner - zajac - elias are killing penalties from forwards? i ask this because i assume that gionta, madden and hopefully pandolfo will all be gone.

langenbrunner - zajac - elias are killing penalties from forwards? i ask this because i assume that gionta, madden and hopefully pandolfo will all be gone.

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if none of them are gone. Maybe Madden cause he's a UFA and there are other replacements available, but it's hard to imagine him going from 20 minutes a night in the playoffs to not being wanted by the Devils. Pando's tough to trade and I don't think Lou'll want to give a loyal Devil the Lowell punishment he gave McGillis and Mogilny, especially given there probably will be openings on the back two lines next year.

I know people hate bringing back Gionta, I wouldn't be opposed to it IF Lou brought in a real second-line center. Otherwise it's just a waste of money to bring back Gio, who had 48 goals and a pro-rated 30 in two years with Gomez and has averaged 20 the last two years with dreck at center.

Besides, Carolina punking Boston is just going to convince Lou that much more we were this close and major changes aren't needed :rolleyes:

Edited by Hasan4978

I know people hate bringing back Gionta, I wouldn't be opposed to it IF Lou brought in a real second-line center. Otherwise it's just a waste of money to bring back Gio, who had 48 goals and a pro-rated 30 in two years with Gomez and has averaged 20 the last two years with dreck at center.

patrik elias is dreck now? he was gionta's center last year. gionta's gone - the devils can't bring in a center, and they just can't spend the money on gionta. that money went to rolston.

Besides, Carolina punking Boston is just going to convince Lou that much more we were this close and major changes aren't needed :rolleyes:

he'd be right - major changes aren't needed. they're also not possible.

patrik elias is dreck now? he was gionta's center last year. gionta's gone - the devils can't bring in a center, and they just can't spend the money on gionta. that money went to rolston.

he'd be right - major changes aren't needed. they're also not possible.

Elias is not a real center...I don't even think he got to 70 points two years ago either. Plus he was only at center for half the season anyway iirc.

And I'm not solely talking about talent with major changes (though certain areas would help), but the philosophy absolutely needs to be changed, at least the one they employed the last 15-20 games and playoffs. There's a big leap between being close in the first round and winning four. The way we were playing we would have got killed by the Caps even if we'd somehow won the Carolina series.

Edited by Hasan4978