Playing Lou

Triumph

I'm guessing this has already been discussed, but is there absolutely NO chance that we can bring Jason Arnott back?

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Elias-Arnott-Rolston

Pando-Zubrus-Clarkson

Rupp/Leblond-Pelley-Halishuck

Bergfors, Vrana

Or if we can get rid of either Zubrus, Rolston, or Pando --> insert Bergfors and tweak the lines.

Maybe slot Bergfor's on Arnott's wing, and drop Rolston to Pando's spot (if Pando can be excised).

I guess salary cap issues would make this difficult, but you never know, that Elias-Arnott reunion (minus Suckora) sounds prettee good.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing this has already been discussed, but is there absolutely NO chance that we can bring Jason Arnott back?
Arnott is under contract until 2011-12 and I kinda doubt Nashville would be very interested in moving its captain.

asked and answered - while nashville doesn't want to spend much more than the floor, they need arnott's salary to get there. he's there captain and has an acceptable cap hit.

if anything, they may very well make a run next year by signing a guy like gionta as a chance to go for broke.

After much deliberation, I would like to present these hypothetical starting lineups for some input from others.

If Shanny wants to come back:

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Elias-Rolston-Gionta

Pando-Zubrus-Clarky

Shanny-Rupp-Bergfors

Martin-Oduya

White-Bergeron

Salvador-Mottau

Brodeur

Weekes

If Shanny doesn't want to come back:

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Elias-Rolston-Gionta

Pandolfo-Zubrus-Clarkson

Winchester-Arnason-Bergfors

Martin-Oduya

White-Bergeron

Salvador-Mottau

Brodeur

Weekes

I realize this may be a ridiculous scenario, but what the hey...all the obvious/feasible scenarios are being covered.

What about Henrik Sedin? Both of the twins hit free agency this year, and unless they take a hometown discount to stay together, it seems unlikely that a team could sign them both. Clearly we have little need for Daniel, but Henrik paired with Elias could be dangerous.

Unless, of course, he falls off the face of the earth without his brother. Which is entirely possible.

Also, I've heard rumblings that the Rangers might be interested in going after Daniel - could you imagine brother vs. brother Hudson river rivalry? Sure, it's terribly unlikely, but it would be fun nonetheless. :evil:

I realize this may be a ridiculous scenario, but what the hey...all the obvious/feasible scenarios are being covered.

What about Henrik Sedin? Both of the twins hit free agency this year, and unless they take a hometown discount to stay together, it seems unlikely that a team could sign them both. Clearly we have little need for Daniel, but Henrik paired with Elias could be dangerous.

Unless, of course, he falls off the face of the earth without his brother. Which is entirely possible.

Also, I've heard rumblings that the Rangers might be interested in going after Daniel - could you imagine brother vs. brother Hudson river rivalry? Sure, it's terribly unlikely, but it would be fun nonetheless. :evil:

I really think the Sedins are a package deal man- I don't think one wants to play without the other (have they ever NOT been teammates in their lives? That's not rhetorical- I'm actually curious if they've ever been on different teams). Which is why I believe when all is said and done, they'll stay in Vancouver.

Edited by MadDog2020

sedins won't break up. i think they've told everyone that they are a package deal - meaning that if they each have to take less than they'd get on their own, they would to stay together.

i'm fairly sure they'll stay in vancouver - they have the salary cap space to give them each $6.5MM which they'll probably get.

i have a devils scenario where they both get $5.75MM - the devils could make it work but it means having corrente in for oduya & the rest of the defense is the same. also it would make it very difficult to resign paul martin after next year and finding parise's raise money would be even more difficult without the cap going up.

sedin - sedin

I really think the Sedins are a package deal man- I don't think one wants to play without the other (have they ever NOT been teammates in their lives? That's not rhetorical- I'm actually curious if they've ever been on different teams). Which is why I believe when all is said and done, they'll stay in Vancouver.

From what I've read, they've never not played together, no. Just thought it'd be an interesting scenario to think about, regardless how unlikely. I wonder if they'll manage to make it through their entire careers playing on the same team, given the salary cap and all.

From what I've read, they've never not played together, no. Just thought it'd be an interesting scenario to think about, regardless how unlikely. I wonder if they'll manage to make it through their entire careers playing on the same team, given the salary cap and all.

That's completely up to them. If they want to take less money to keep playing together, then I think they can stay together for the length of their careers. It comes down to what they feel is more important: money or playing on the same team.

sedins won't break up. i think they've told everyone that they are a package deal - meaning that if they each have to take less than they'd get on their own, they would to stay together.

i'm fairly sure they'll stay in vancouver - they have the salary cap space to give them each $6.5MM which they'll probably get.

i have a devils scenario where they both get $5.75MM - the devils could make it work but it means having corrente in for oduya & the rest of the defense is the same. also it would make it very difficult to resign paul martin after next year and finding parise's raise money would be even more difficult without the cap going up.

sedin - sedin

There is no way that ever happens but DAM that is a sick pair of top two lines!

If you guys don't mind, I'm going to throw names out here every now and then. How about Kubina? Don't fear his 5M cap hit, only one year left. 16 goals and 40 points. -15 on a bad Toronto team. Burke loves (players like) Clarkson. Would you trade Clarkson in a deal for Kubina?

If you guys don't mind, I'm going to throw names out here every now and then. How about Kubina? Don't fear his 5M cap hit, only one year left. 16 goals and 40 points. -15 on a bad Toronto team. Burke loves (players like) Clarkson. Would you trade Clarkson in a deal for Kubina?

No way.

no, i really wouldn't. clarkson provides an element we really lack, plus he's cheap. if clarkson went in a deal for kubina i'd want at least a 2nd back from toronto as well.

you know what these playoffs are showing me - your best players have to be the best players to advance. staal beat the devils - he's beating the bruins. the top line of anaheim has been excellent as have the wings. AO and Crosby/Malkin - playing great. Toews and Havlat and Kane - pretty good. Sedins and Kesler - playing well and scoring.

that's what it takes to advance. parise and elias needed to be better.

i only bring this up in this thread because we're talking about next year and what changes the roster needs - it might just need for the best players to play like it.

you know what these playoffs are showing me - your best players have to be the best players to advance. staal beat the devils - he's beating the bruins. the top line of anaheim has been excellent as have the wings. AO and Crosby/Malkin - playing great. Toews and Havlat and Kane - pretty good. Sedins and Kesler - playing well and scoring.

that's what it takes to advance. parise and elias needed to be better.

i only bring this up in this thread because we're talking about next year and what changes the roster needs - it might just need for the best players to play like it.

you know, what the 2nd round has shown me is that the devils absolutely could've held their own here, and that it's a goddamn crying shame that they're not in this round. nothing about the way these 4 teams has played has convinced me the devils couldn't hang with them.

you know, what the 2nd round has shown me is that the devils absolutely could've held their own here, and that it's a goddamn crying shame that they're not in this round. nothing about the way these 4 teams has played has convinced me the devils couldn't hang with them.

The Devils could have beaten any of these teams...but only if Sutter had an epiphany and the team went back to playing the agressive style they did from November to mid-March. There's no way they would have shut down Ovechkin and his posse with the over the hill checking line and slow as molasses d-pairing of White and Mottau, and I'm not sure we would have scored enough with the way Elias, Zajac and even Zach the last few games were dissapearing.

Edited by Hasan4978

sedin - sedin

Here is the sh!tty part. Patrik Elias will never come close to being the top player on the ice when it counts. He might be getting paid top dollar, but he'll never come close to being as dominate as any of the players you mentioned.

Here is the sh!tty part. Patrik Elias will never come close to being the top player on the ice when it counts. He might be getting paid top dollar, but he'll never come close to being as dominate as any of the players you mentioned.

He already has; 2000 ECF?

To start, it would have helped if Elias wasn't getting worse minutes then Pandolfo and that could be said for most of this team. It's been beat to death, but Brodeur needed to outplay Ward for once in his life. Paul Martin needed to remember/not forget how to clear the puck. He couldn't the entire series. Parise did all he could. Langs was hurt and played well when he wasn't. Zajac did 'okay'. I could go on, but I'm trying to stick to the top players.

Elias is going to go down as one of the best playoff players in NHL history. People spew absolute nonsense sometimes.

The Devils don't need widespread change. Amazing it hasn't occurred to people that the NHL playoffs is kind of random and all about getting hot at the right time. If the playoffs were in early to mid March the Devils would be marching their way to a fourth cup. It's just how it goes. We've been very spoiled as a fan base.

As someone said above, what difference would adding a puck mover or a second line center make if Brodeur sucks again? Or our top two offensive players are somewhat ineffective?

Edited by Voros19