devilsrule33

All MLB Thread

359 posts in this topic

*Warning, self-praise coming*

I thought this was really cool - I'm a frequent reader of Beyond the Boxscore and Fangraphs (great sabermetric baseball sites). BtB is one of those SB Nation blogs, so it lets you contribute 'Fanposts', which don't appear on the website's front page of primary articles but they appear on the side under Fanposts, though the admins of the site could later post them on the front page if they feel they are are good reading material, or whatnot. I've only published a few since joining the site, and just today I contributed a post discussing Joe Nathan's possible replacement. I checked the website just 10 minutes ago and my Nathan post is on their front page! I've never had that happen before, so I thought that was pretty sweet. If you wanna check out the article: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2010/3/9/1364392/nathans-replacement

Okay, sorry for the gloating, I just thought it was really cool. :D

Edited by nmigliore

Some great news for DR33's Blue Jays... Cuban SS Adeiny Hechevarria signs with Blue Jays for $10M.

A source confirmed that Hechevarria has agreed to a $10MM contract with Toronto, tweets Melissa Segura of Sports Illustrated. The deal is for four years, a source tells Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald (via Twitter).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/hechevarria-close-to-signing-with-blue-jays.html

Really nice pickup for a team that appears to lack middle infield prospects. Say hello to your future SS.

Edited by nmigliore

Some great news for DR33's Blue Jays... Cuban SS Adeiny Hechevarria signs with Blue Jays for $10M.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/hechevarria-close-to-signing-with-blue-jays.html

Really nice pickup for a team that appears to lack middle infield prospects. Say hello to your future SS.

Very happy about this. SS has been a major whole for the Jays for years. I must say, I love what AA is doing. It's going to be extremely tough in the AL East for years to come, but there is a lot to get excited about.

Just noticed your post about your article on the front page of BTB. Very good stuff.

Interesting day for the Twins, they lose Joe Nathan for the year due to TJ surgery but lock up Joe Mauer for 8 years, $184M. Good for Minnesota, and its good for baseball to see some of the small to mid-market teams keep their superstar talent instead of losing them to the big dogs of free agency.

Edited by nmigliore

Interesting day for the Twins, they lose Joe Nathan for the year due to TJ surgery but lock up Joe Mauer for 8 years, $184M. Good for Minnesota, and its good for baseball to see some of the small to mid-market teams keep their superstar talent instead of losing them to the big dogs of free agency.

Nice that a mid-market team locked up a star player, but 8 years-$184 million is still ridiculous any way you slice it. It's also a ridiculous system when we applaud the Twins signing a giant superstar when another team can lock up 5-6 guys with large contracts (the Yankees with A-Rod, Jeter, C.C., A.J. and Mo).

Nice that a mid-market team locked up a star player, but 8 years-$184 million is still ridiculous any way you slice it.

I don't think its all that bad. The years seem okay - they have him locked up until hes 35, which is roughly around the age catchers start to fall off, and if they must, moving him to 1B some time down the road shouldn't be an issue since his bat would play fine there. I think you can easily make a case that hes being overpaid - I don't know how its broken down, but that's an average salary of $23M per year, which would mean he would need to be worth around +6.5 to +7 wins each year to live up to that salary, which is do-able for him right now, but who knows if he'll be still putting up those kind of win values in the latter years of the deal; the longer he sticks at catcher then the more do-able it should be since that's such a premium position, but a move to 1B would likely bring down his value enough to not be worth that kind of annual salary.

Edited by nmigliore

I am strictly speaking in terms of the real world. In the baseball world...that is a perfectly fine deal. I don't know how for the Twins owner, 23 million makes sense from an economical point of view. Baseball needs a cap, but I don't think it ever happens.

With baseball season starting in less than a week, anyone wanna lay out division/wild card predictions? I'll go first....

American League

AL East: New York Yankees

AL Central: Minnesota Twins

AL West: Seattle Mariners

AL Wild Card: Boston Red Sox

National League

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies

NL Central: St. Louis Cardinals

NL West: Colorado Rockies

NL Wild Card: Atlanta Braves

...I'm obviously hoping my NL East/NL Wild Card predictions are wrong but here's to a great year of baseball! :cheers:

Edited by nmigliore

Alex A strikes again for the Jays: Lind signed for 4 years, $18M and 3 club options for 2014, 2015, and 2016. The guaranteed years essentially buy out all of his arbitration years for an average salary of only $4.5M per (!), and then 3 club options for his free agent years - this is an excellent deal for the Jays.

Edited by nmigliore