Lou Lamoriello E-Mailed Me!!!

Colin226

Ok so here's the story..

Back in Feb./March I emailed Devils management with an inquiry about how to obtain an internship with them. A few days later I got an e-mail back from Peter McMullen telling me that the Devils did away with their internship program, but that he would like to speak with me on his office line. So I called the number he gave me and his secretary put me through. Wow, what a nice guy! He explained to me why they don't have internships anymore and lectured me for 10 - 15 minutes on how to position myself properly to obtain a job with a professional sports team. I took notes on what he said and then thanked him for the conversation. He also thanked me for being a season ticket holder at 20 years old and for my support of the Devils.

So a few months go by... I see the Devils win and do great things, and then I see them slip up. But the playoffs come and I've got my shiny red tickets. Then, game 7 happens... I see people punching holes in walls and people on this forum going insane. I realize that the Devils must be getting some real hate mail, so I decide that I'll pull up Peter's personal e-mail address and send him an e-mail just to let him know that while some fans are being "quite negative" (understatement), I'm trying to be positive..

Mr. McMullen,

To refresh your memory, we had spoken a couple months ago about

internships with the Devils and I had also mentioned that I'm a season

ticket holder, but that is not what this email is about.

I really just wanted to email you to thank the New Jersey Devils for a

great season. I was at the last 3 home playoff games so I saw the

upsetting loss in game 7. Instead of dwelling on it I prefer to think

of the good times I had during the season and in past years. I still

remember staying up past my bed time in 5th grade (with the sound off

so my parents wouldn't know I was watching TV) so that I could watch

the '00 Championship. In '03 I remember spending several hours

building a styrofoam Stanley Cup before the dramatic game 7. To me the

Devils are special and almost like a family. The fans, the players,

and the organization all seem to have a special connection (as evident

by Ken Daneyko and Scott Stevens continuing to help the team, players

taking lower salaries to remain in Jersey, and fans who went to games

in the 80's and 90's are now taking their kids to games).

I've always respected Devils management for taking care of the fans

and really considering them when making decisions (such as lowering

season ticket prices). My two other favorite sports teams (Mets and

Jets) have sky-rocketed their ticket prices, and yet with the Devils I

can still afford my season tickets while being a 20 year old full-time

college student. I can't think of any other team in sports that is as

committed to caring for and respecting its fan base as much as you

guys do.

So really I just wanted to make sure Devils management knows that, for

at least one fan, the disappointing post season means nothing. I still

love this organization and team, and I always will. My brother Keith

and I have already renewed our season tickets for next year and cannot

wait for opening day! See you in October. Thank you.

Sincerely,

- Colin M......

So I get an e-mail back a few hours from him thanking me for my kind words, because management has seen a ton of hate mail. He also thanked me for my continued support of the team (renewed season tickets for next year) and wished me a happy summer.

I figured it was all I would get and was happy about it. But then 2 weeks later I get this email in my inbox...

Dear Colin:

We all share the same regrets but I am most appreciative of your taking the time to write, especially in light of the good times you remember, and for not dwelling on the disappointment. It's really not a time for criticism but a time for moving forward.

Thank you, too, for your continued support and your loyalty to the Devils.

Kindest regards.

Lou Lamoriello

President / CEO / General Manager

New Jersey Devils

Wow!! What a nice guy. I guess Peter forwarded it to Lou and he just got around to thanking me as well. I just looked at the message stunned that he would even take the time to respond to me. This is awesome!

I just thought I'd share this with you guys.. Thanks for reading

This woulda been a great story even if it ended after Peter McMullen talked to you on the phone and gave you some professional pointers. But everything else that happened just makes this even better. Great story, man!

Dude, that is awesome! So much for Lou only doing snail mail :P

He's a busy man haha. I'd prefer he focus on the team than fan mail, but hey I have to say I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you guys for reading my story. I greatly appreciate it!

I don't know whether to be happy for you or depressed about the apparent volume of hate mail they've received. I mean gosh, this is one year the Devils have actually done a good job in the pr-fan aspect of things. Why take it out on them just because the team gagged?

I do wish more people had your outlook. I find the older I get the more impatient I get with my sports teams, of course rooting for the same three teams you root for has something to do with that and all the horrific finishes to seasons between the three of them just in the last two years.

Still there is a lot to be thankful for with the Devils, a ton of affordable season tickets and even more discounted game tickets besides. Season ticket holders are getting quite a few perks next year, maybe out of neccesity but it's still a lot more than the Mets or Jets give you which is basically zilch other than playoff rights. And oh yes a team that is competitive every year.

Edited by NJDevs26

Yeah, he's the kind of boss who would insist upon that.

I thought Lou didn't do e-mail, though.

I'm sure he told his secretary to take down a note and send it for him. I can't see him having time to sort through his own email account. He probably uses a cell phone to do most of his communication.

A few years back my friend (die hard fan w/ Devs tattoo) sent Lou an email complaining about similar stuff posted in these boards. Well a dew days later he gets a phone call from Lou personally. Can't remember id they talked or if Lou left a message.

Good or bad it's nice to know the team really listens.

I'm sure he told his secretary to take down a note and send it for him. I can't see him having time to sort through his own email account. He probably uses a cell phone to do most of his communication.

Well most executives have an executive assistant that monitors their boss's email. They still get all those emails in their inbox though. Lou may not have time to sort through ALL his email but they do read it and they do respond.

A few years back my friend (die hard fan w/ Devs tattoo) sent Lou an email complaining about similar stuff posted in these boards. Well a dew days later he gets a phone call from Lou personally. Can't remember id they talked or if Lou left a message.

Good or bad it's nice to know the team really listens.

Lou gave me a call after I wrote a letter. Lou is the man.

Well most executives have an executive assistant that monitors their boss's email. They still get all those emails in their inbox though. Lou may not have time to sort through ALL his email but they do read it and they do respond.

For the most part yes it is the assistant that reads and reply's to emails..... Im sure eventually he may get to all his emails but thats why they all have assistants.

For the most part yes it is the assistant that reads and reply's to emails..... Im sure eventually he may get to all his emails but thats why they all have assistants.

Assistants don't necessarily reply to emails. At least not in their own words. For all we know he could just be randomly replying to some emails as he browses through them.

That's really cool. I recieved a letter like 2 years ago from Lou after I sent them an email and I felt they same way you did. Just stunned that he would take the time out of his day to write to you.

Exactly!! Sweet man :koolaid:

Lou gave me a call after I wrote a letter. Lou is the man.

I wrote a letter to Lou when I was 12 (among other things, I asked why Corey Schwab didn't get more starts and why Esa Tikkanen didn't last). He wrote me back and you could tell his signature was authentic, not some stamp or anything like that. I had that letter hanging on my wall for years.

Did he actually answer the Tikkanen question? I've always wondered what happened there myself.

Nah. His reply was, more or less, "I appreciate your support and suggestions, but on the other hand I have a letter from another fan who feels the exact opposite as you. Please have faith in the team's management to do the best we can to put a winning team on the ice," or something along those lines. I was just excited to get a reply.

Although I've since heard rumors that it had something to do with Tikkanen not adhering to the team's dress code on the road or something. The guy must have looked like a slob.

• 4 years later...

I'm bumping this thread up because I want to write a letter to Lou Lamoriello but I couldn't find his PO box online and I couldn't find any old threads on this forum that had his PO box or email address.

I know a number of people on NJDEVS have written both emails and snail mail to him so I was wondering someone could inbox me with Lou's contact info, it would be greatly appreciated. Go Devils!

I wrote to the generic Devils office address and put Lou Lamoriello C/O New Jersey Devils.

devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=41807

Mailing Address: New Jersey Devils Prudential Center 165 Mulberry St. Newark, NJ 07102

That should do it. Make sure to write one copy by hand for him.