Two Things For Tuesday's Game Two

Rock

Stan Fischler

Two things for Tuesday's Game Two

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp...vils&league=nhl

May 13, 2003

As the Devils prepare for Game Two of the Conference Finals they must do two things to even the series on Tuesday night at the Corel Centre.

1. They must find Lady Luck and then sign her to a long-term contract at least through this playoff round.

2. They must find the Oleg Tverdovsky for whom they traded, not the unreasonable facsimile now wearing OT's name on his jersey.

Let's face it, with a little luck New Jersey could have scratched out an overtime win last Saturday.

But as luck would have it, for the second time in two series, a New Jersey defenseman named Scott -- as in Niedermayer -- got whacked in the head by a slapshot.

First Scott Stevens versus the Lightning, now Niedermayer. The blow sent Nieder to the dressing room and resulted in the unfortunate Tverdovsky-Stevens pairing that led to the game-winner.

For Game Two, Pat Burns is apt to replace OT with Ole Reliable, alias Tommy Albelin, who pinch-hit adequately in past playoff series.

Unfortunately that will present the fleet Senators with an old, slow Devils' defense of Stevens, Albelin and Ken Daneyko; which would be a huge gamble.

The good news is that Burns remains confident despite a horrendous 0-2 first period that revealed the rust of a long layoff.

"We only lost one game," Burns tells me, "There's a lot of hockey to go."

I specifically pressed him on the non-production of key gunners, Patrik Elias and Scott Gomez.

"They played well," says Burns. "We had a lot of chances."

Actually, New Jersey could have gained a huge advantage right off the opening face-off. Both Elias and Brian Gionta were catapulted free but each delivered shots wide of helpless Ottawa goalie Patrick Lalime.

"No question," Stevens tells me, "We have to bury shots like those."

As I said prior to the series, this is the series where Martin Brodeur must significantly out-goal Patrick Lalime.

Brodeur produced several big saves with the score tied the score tied 2-2 but did not appear overwhelmingly sharp on the first two goals.

He still could -- I hope -- play better. Against Ottawa only superb performances will suffice; right from the opening face-off.

With one game gone, there are two ways of looking at the series through the Devils prism.

Pessimist: Ottawa's speed is simply too much for New Jersey to handle and for Brodeur to deliver a "goalie-steal" game. This was evident when the Devs counterattacked to tie but couldn

Word out of Ottawa is that tonight's game is going to be VERY physical in an attempt to wear out the older Devil's defense corps.

:evilcry: Why? Why did we have to play Ottawa? If the word is out already, they must be really focused on victory. I hope the Devils wear some extra body armor to protect against the PHYSICAL Sens. B)