Dano And Tivo Told To Sit

NJayDevil

Shuffling defencemen

Daneyko, Tverdovsky to sit for Game 2 versus Ottawa

Canadian Press

ADVERTISEMENT

OTTAWA, ON

The New Jersey Devils, looking for solutions to counter the Ottawa Senators' skilled attack, said they would make two changes on defence for Game 2 of the NHL Eastern Conference series.

Veteran Ken Daneyko and Oleg Tverdovsky were told they were out of the lineup while Richard Smehlik and Tommy Albelin were to dress for the game.

The Devils and Senators meet in the second game of the best-of-seven series Tuesday night (CBC, 8 p.m. EDT).

It was tough news for the 39-year-old Daneyko, who ended a streak of 165 consecutive playoff games when he was scratched from Game 4 of the Devils' first-round series against Boston.

"I knew coming in that I'm at that stage where it might happen," said Daneyko. "I'm disappointed, but we're at the stage now where the most important thing is to win.

"I'm realistic. I understand. Does it hurt? Yeah. Does it catch you off guard? Yeah. But it's the coaches' decision and I've got to accept it."

Daneyko and Tverdovsky were on the ice for the Ottawa's second goal in a 3-2 overtime victory for the Sens in the series opener Saturday night.

Tverdovsky, perhaps rusty from sitting out the last two games of the second round against Tampa Bay, had a particularly rough game and was caught out of position on Shaun Van Allen's overtime winner.

Albelin had appeared in three previous post-season games this year and Smehlik one.

"It's difficult to watch games, but it's the coaches' decision and you have to live with that," said Smehlik, whose only previous appearance was in place of Daneyko against Boston.

"It's always a challenge when you haven't played in a couple of weeks and everybody else is in game condition."

I know this will be unpopular, but I like this move.

I don't like Smehlik Daneyko or Smehlik Tverdovsky.. neither has succeeded..

But I think Smehlik Albelin can work. Of those four guys, Albelin is the best puckmover, and Smehlik's long reach makes up for his lack of mobility..

They should get no more than 8 minutes.

I have no objection to Albelin over Tivo.

But Stinky over Dano makes no sense to me - he was horrible in the few regular season games & one playoff game he played for the Devs.

Hey Pat - you asked the world (on another topic) if we really thought you were "that stupid". I said no at the time. Now that is on hold until I see the game tonight.

A loss tonight proves this to be a bad move, no matter how that loss comes. The fact that these two will only see 8-11 minutes leads to the other 4 defenseman playing that many more minutes. Alby is fine. Shmelik has proven to be unable to work with this team.

Especially on the road, this pairing will be exploited by the Sens.

Ok guys....I've been reading the Devil's quotes about playing teh Sens and game 2 and the defensive pairings, etc......

This tells me Burns doesn't think we can win the way we are. This is a bit of desperation.

"It's difficult to watch games, but it's the coaches' decision and you have to live with that," said Smehlik, whose only previous appearance was in place of Daneyko against Boston.

"It's always a challenge when you haven't played in a couple of weeks and everybody else is in game condition."

That sounds like a guy who is really confident.....Not

The guy most likely not to make a huge mistake is Dano. He should play.

Tvo lost his offensive game and turns the puck over.

Smehlik just sucks. What is Burns thinking.

Like I suggested before, and Red reiterated here, play Giroux and Albelein or Giroux and Dano.

Why do I think we're in trouble? Is Ottawa shuffling their defensive pairs?

here's a crazy idea, how about benching Gionta and playing Tverdovsky on the wing?

How would that help the defensive parings?

It would allow us to try different combinations on "D" to see what works best.

Gionta is due!

Oh, this is just great. Although Tommy rushes the puck well outa his own end, he is a defensive nightmare. Smehlik?? A big guy who doesnt knowwhether to sh!t or go blind. They talk about TVO being rusty??

Rust never sleeps.

I think Tvo should be there. Dano is too slow, vulnerable. Wonder if Gionta will sit in favor Bicek??

God I hope we win tonight.

Vince

I want T-vo in there, but I think this is the second best combo.. I like Albelin's puck movement and I like Smehlik's ability to keep the play to the outside.. I think off the rush this pairing will be much better, but in the defensive zone they may have trouble on the cycle and in front.. but they will be better at clearing the puck.

I have a question for you guys who are making Albelin seem like an awful choice: have you seen a single Devils game this year that he has played in?

He has been a sound, solid defenseman all season, and he has really stepped up.

When I see judgements being made that he is horrible, I just shake my head and think that some people are stuck in last season (yes, when he was horrible, and I was the biggest Anti-Albelin fan)...

I'd much rather have Albelin over Tver right now.

However, Smehlik over Dano doesn't sit well with me.

I know, Gionta is due and I hope the little guy gets a goal soon. But by putting Tverdovsky on the wing, you at least show a little bit of faith in the guy. We'll need him to come back strong for us in this series.

plus we'll have him for the PP (assuming we get one <_<) and he can step in on D in case one of the guys gets hurt or Albelin & Smehlik just plain suck.

this has been a lost season for Tverdovsky, but we'll still need him in the series so it's important he stays mentally sharp.

Stays mentally sharp?

Guy was about as sharp as a hockey puck in Game 1.

Tverdovsky doesn't belong on the wing. He belongs on defense or in the press box.

We do need him for this series. I don't think we can win with Smehlik and Albelin. But I think we can win Game 2.