Thrashers sign Salmela to multi-year deal

USC09

Anssi looked like a kid with a ton of potential when he was in Jersey. He just couldn't find any consistency in his game and was pretty horrendous in the defensive zone. Best of luck to him.

At the time, the trade seemed like a solid move. Dems da breaks.

Salmela's the kind of player who will be at least moderately successful in Atlanta over the next few years, which will lead everyone to assume that it was a bad move by Lou, but really...I'm not sure Salmela would have been successful here. He'll be given more leeway to play his way in Atlanta, because really, what do they have to lose?

What I guess I'm saying is, if he's successful in Atlanta, it doesn't mean he would have been successful in New Jersey.

Salmela panning out for Atlanta - is like being the best player on the special olympics squad :)

Oh man, when I read this, I just about spit out my drink.... of course, that doesn't mean it isn't true.... but it is funny as hell.

I gotta get my wife to read this one. She's from Atlanta and is a Thrashers fan. Poor, poor girl.... :whistling:

Hindsight is always 20/20. I ripped on Havelid as much as the next guy, but it was the right move at the time.

Exactly. If we were in the cup finals right now and if we wouldve won the cup with Havelid, everyone would be still praising that trade. Its that chance I guess to take. Salmela has a bright future, glad to see him got a nice NHL contract.

I liked Ansi and I think he may turn out to be a good player for the thrashers...

this just adds to the list of very questionable moves by Lou in recent years.

The Havelid trade was a smart move, that just didn't work out.

Ansi wasn't going to play for Sutter.

yeah, i agree it was a sound move...havelid may have proven his worth later in the play offs...(still can't believe the game 7 implosion).

too bad the season did not end on St. Patricks Day...after that the rest was just a miserable slide.

You mean Sutter the guy that's still not even sure he wants to return to finsh out his contract? Glad Lou tolerates that sh*t.