Who replaces Sutter? (If he leaves)

twillms73

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard Mike Haviland's name thrown around by people who know more about hockey than I do. I don't know too much about the guy, but they all seem to be very high on him.

he won the kelly cup with trenton. very aggressive forechecking game

I don't pretend to know what the best options are, but I'd rather have Jacque Lemaire than John MacLean, Hartley, Laviolette or Ted Nolan (fat chance).

It would be such a Lou move to bring back Lemaire, too.

I really think that this move would be the death of the NJ Devils and a HUGE step back for the franchise.

Although I agree Johnny Mac is NOT an option.

I really think that this move would be the death of the NJ Devils and a HUGE step back for the franchise.

I don't know. I can't say you're wrong. But I'm not sure I want to dismiss Lemaire as a dinosaur.

Plus, look at this roster ... defensively responsible forwards, pretty good speed. This is a counterattacking team. It could be a fit.

I think you and I can both agree that Al Arbour would have trouble with the blue line talent we have now.

I'd go for Pete Lav

+1.

This is also who I have been saying if Sutter decides not to come back for his last year on his contract. Peter Laviolette has won a SCC and also has ties with lou on the USA teams in the past. Lou may have him already under his coaching replacement radar.

+1.

This is also who I have been saying if Sutter decides not to come back for his last year on his contract. Peter Laviolette has won a SCC and also has ties with lou on the USA teams in the past. Lou may have him already under his coaching replacement radar.

What ties do Lou and Laviolette have?

Edited by devilsrule33

I don't know. I can't say you're wrong. But I'm not sure I want to dismiss Lemaire as a dinosaur.

Plus, look at this roster ... defensively responsible forwards, pretty good speed. This is a counterattacking team. It could be a fit.

I think you and I can both agree that Al Arbour would have trouble with the blue line talent we have now.

Lemaire is a dinosaur and has been for over 10 years. He brings "structure". That's it.

He held the team back later on in his stay. It's too bad that we played horrible Montreal in 1997 and didn't draw a real team, maybe his style would have crippled them and he would have left a year earlier.

lemaire was fired, in my view, for matching lines with a vastly inferior senators team, letting them dictate the game. it was the right move to fire him, and it'd be the right move to never bring him back.

I was having this discussion elsewhere. Carp played over 18 minutes a night in that series. Wrap your arms around that. Sykora and Elias

didn't play alot in that series, either (but I don't remember if either was hurt, I mean, it is Sykora).

He had talent to work with, his top 9 was:

Arnott

Gilmour

Sykora

Elias

Andreychuk

Holik

Thomas

Rolston

Carp

sub out Carp for McKay (who got buried), and make some lines out of that. Then go look at the offensive stats from that series. :puke:

Everything that happened after he left proved the true worth of Lemaire. He's a starter kit, something to get you going in the right direction. If he were to come back, you might as well write off the season now.

I was having this discussion elsewhere. Carp played over 18 minutes a night in that series. Wrap your arms around that. Sykora and Elias

didn't play alot in that series, either (but I don't remember if either was hurt, I mean, it is Sykora).

He had talent to work with, his top 9 was:

Arnott

Gilmour

Sykora

Elias

Andreychuk

Holik

Thomas

Rolston

Carp

sub out Carp for McKay (who got buried), and make some lines out of that. Then go look at the offensive stats from that series. :puke:

Everything that happened after he left proved the true worth of Lemaire. He's a starter kit, something to get you going in the right direction. If he were to come back, you might as well write off the season now.

well i do hate being fair to lemaire, since i think his firing was totally justified, but arnott had a terrible season for new jersey, they tried him as an RW and it wasn't working out. the problem was that scott daniels was dressed over sykora and elias in one game which was just indefensible against a senators team with zero toughness. krys oliwa played all 6 games too. i mean, this is the kind of dinosauric thinking that lemaire still shows, meanwhile the teams in the finals play their young players a ton - their speed and skill makes up for the mistakes they occasionally make.

well i do hate being fair to lemaire, since i think his firing was totally justified, but arnott had a terrible season for new jersey, they tried him as an RW and it wasn't working out. the problem was that scott daniels was dressed over sykora and elias in one game which was just indefensible against a senators team with zero toughness. krys oliwa played all 6 games too. i mean, this is the kind of dinosauric thinking that lemaire still shows, meanwhile the teams in the finals play their young players a ton - their speed and skill makes up for the mistakes they occasionally make.

Arnott didn't play well, but ultimately, some of it comes down to the guy making the line combinations, too. He had two decent offensive wingers in Rolston and Thomas locked up with Carp, he buried the kids, etc. I remember thant Rolston and Thomas got a cup of coffee with Brendan Morrison in '98 and they looked pretty damn good.

the problem was that scott daniels was dressed over sykora and elias in one game which was just indefensible against a senators team with zero toughness. krys oliwa played all 6 games too. i mean, this is the kind of dinosauric thinking that lemaire still shows, meanwhile the teams in the finals play their young players a ton - their speed and skill makes up for the mistakes they occasionally make.

I guess you're coming around to that line of thinking now since earlier this year when Sutter wouldn't play the kids and didn't have a fourth line you said depth was overrated and were arguing for this same kind of thinking. Maybe if we had given one or more of the kids a fair shot this year we wouldn't have had to play Bobby Holik and PL3 in playoff games.