NJ Devils officialy offers a contract to Saku Koivu

SS-SS

how's his eye? i remember he had that nasty stick in his eye a few years back...looked horrific.

if he's healthy he would be a nice addition, fill the spot vacated by madden...nice 2 way center with some offensive finnish.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how's his eye? i remember he had that nasty stick in his eye a few years back...looked horrific.

if he's healthy he would be a nice addition, fill the spot vacated by madden...nice 2 way center with some offensive finnish.

Plus i think he would be even more great with us cuz at Montreal they have that art of making a player look bad.

Edited by SS-SS

the rumor is that we're offering 4 years and the Rangers are 3. this sounds very familiar to the Rolston situation that everyone loves. and there's a Kovalev rumor. if Lou caved in because people called up and started whining, I'm going to be disgusted.

4 years for f'n Koivu, who will probably mail it in. I would have to assume this deal would be between $16-20M. in that case, kiss Martin goodbye, you might as well trade him now and get return.

I think if he could get that he already would have signed that type of deal. I'm going to guess teams are willing to pay him well short term or get value for him long term but nobody has stepped up and offered to pay him well long term, which is probably what he hopes to eventually get.

For example, the Devils would probably be willing to overpay short term but won't even bother at any value level long term. So Koivu's agent will struggle working out a good long term deal if all the teams are in that same mindset on him but he could be able to really play teams off each other on the short term deals until he was way overpaid next season.

no, the likelyhood is that he doesn't really want to play for us, but if we have the best offer at the end, he will grudgingly accept it. which of course, is the kind of player you absolutely want on your roster.

Pun intended?

2 days ago I would have gotten excited about this but if we have to give Koivu more than 1 year then I'd rather not have him on the team. Unless of course we sign him until the year after Mikko Koivu's contract is up and then use him as bate to get Mikko to sign here muwahaha.

Also, Maxim Afinogenov might be a cheap reclamation project with a nice upside. And besides, if we don't he'll be reborn in Carolina and beat Martin Brodeur with a game 7 flip shot from center ice with 0.01 seconds left...then we'll all be sorry.

i would like to see maxim here, but where would he fit? you gotta give the second line RW slot to Rolston. he will be better this year having the summer to fully heal his ankle. patty's played center but he's horrible at faceoffs and clearly more comfortable at LW.

we need a pivot, but i'm not sure it's koivu. admittedly, there aren't many viable options beyond him that have the speed to work with elias & rolston. morrison's out there, but he's developed into a mediocre bum. roenick is old. sakic will retire with the avs, no question, plus he's old. gtfo with mats sundin, he'll be skipping practice to go to AC and lou's not looking to sign someone for that kind of insane dinero.

so koivu? yeah, i guess he's the best we can do at this point.

We cannot have Koivu for more than a year for 2 reasons. One is the cap which has been covered a few times. The second I haven't seen talked about yet is Koivu blocking Josefson and Cormier next year and the following years. All signs point to Cormier, Josefson, and Tedenby being ready to make an impact by 2011. I would hate to see these guys blocked by our dead weight.

"I only want him if he plays for free, and pays Lou 1M a year"

- Some of you guys, really entertaining....

Two days ago people were crying for Lou's head, now everyone's got a qualifier for the deal....

This guy has a choice between playing with his brother, or playing with his good friend Teemu in ANA.

If we're going to lure him over, we're either going to need to use years or a Ridonkulus one year deal that will make people pass out.

Why else would he come here? (Cue the "history of excellence speech" - in that Hank Hill voice)

"I only want him if he plays for free, and pays Lou 1M a year"

- Some of you guys, really entertaining....

Two days ago people were crying for Lou's head, now everyone's got a qualifier for the deal....

This guy has a choice between playing with his brother, or playing with his good friend Teemu in ANA.

If we're going to lure him over, we're either going to need to use years or a Ridonkulus one year deal that will make people pass out.

Why else would he come here? (Cue the "history of excellence speech" - in that Hank Hill voice)

I might be wrong, but I don't think the ones who said that two days ago are the same ones saying that now. I think a lot of people here are being reasonable. They want a player of Koivu's skill, but don't want to break the bank for him either and handcuff Lou with any long-term deal. I haven't read anyone say that they realistically think Lou will get him on these terms.

I think getting Koivu would help alot. Mostly cause he would most likely be centering Elias and Elias has not had a good playmaking center since Gomez. Even without a good playmaker Elias has put up good points. I think Koivu would solidify the top 2 lines very well.

If we're going to lure him over, we're either going to need to use years or a ridonkulus one year deal that will make people pass out.

Why else would he come here?

...maybe I'm wrong, but I feel Saku may want to come to New Jersey because of the small market, after playing over a decade in a place like Montreal. I also feel the longer this goes on, the more it may very well favor the Devils. Let's face it... there's no bigger bargaining chip than family. (just ask Nied's & Brent) Tommorrow is now the 4th day into free agency... why would he wait so long in the first place? If he wanted to play with his brother, wouldn't he have signed w/the Wild by now? And as far as Teemu goes, he's going to play with him one way or another next season anyway. (olympics) I can't see him going to the Ducks for Selanne & Selanne alone. New Jersey is (imo) a better team, where he'll play a bigger role, and it's alot closer to Montreal to boot.

...maybe I'm wrong, but I feel Saku may want to come to New Jersey because of the small market, after playing over a decade in a place like Montreal. I also feel the longer this goes on, the more it may very well favor the Devils. Let's face it... there's no bigger bargaining chip than family. (just ask Nied's & Brent) Tommorrow is now the 4th day into free agency... why would he wait so long in the first place? If he wanted to play with his brother, wouldn't he have signed w/the Wild by now? And as far as Teemu goes, he's going to play with him one way or another next season anyway. (olympics) I can't see him going to the Ducks for Selanne & Selanne alone. New Jersey is (imo) a better team, where he'll play a bigger role, and it's alot closer to Montreal to boot.

Small Market = Anaheim (a lot smaller than NJ)

I can see the camaraderie of Teemu being the only other driving factor beyond Mikko. I think the hold being the Ducks working out their RFA's and still considering :

a.) Possibly bringing back Beauch, if his expectations finally get real

b.) Finding something to do with Puffy (god knows what)

I would say that maybe minus the Marty factor that ANA is pretty even w/NJ. Perhaps even a bit better,

The fact that we haven't beat them in 2 years speaks volumes I believe as well, in addition to the fact that they have been deeper into the playoffs than us in both 07, 08 (equally) and 09 ....

Let's face it... there's no bigger bargaining chip than family. (just ask Nied's & Brent) Tommorrow is now the 4th day into free agency... why would he wait so long in the first place? If he wanted to play with his brother, wouldn't he have signed w/the Wild by now?

Nieds waited a few days to sign with Anaheim because even though he had already decided to play with his brother, he was playing the Devils and the Ducks off each other to get as much money from the Ducks as possible. Don't be surprised if that's what Koivu's doing.

I would like Koivu, because of his leadership and character and his perseverance. I will defend Koivu, because many people thought he would never be the same after his battle with stomach cancer, but he beat the odds and has become a better player and person. But he would be a nice addition to our hockey club and I know he will be very passionate and David Conte preaches personality more than anything along with Lou. Koivu said there is no time table for his decision, so I think we will have to wait til Sunday or Monday to find out where he lands.

Nieds waited a few days to sign with Anaheim because even though he had already decided to play with his brother, he was playing the Devils and the Ducks off each other to get as much money from the Ducks as possible. Don't be surprised if that's what Koivu's doing.

This.

I could have sworn he was trying to get the Ducks to sign Rob long-term before he'd sign with them...I do remember Rob signing a four-year deal like two million per at the same time.

I don't know what Koivu's doing but doubt we're getting him or that it's even feasible to give him a three or four-year deal. He would be a nice addition though.

Edited by Hasan4978

how could he play the Devils off the Ducks when the Devils immediately offered him the max money possible?

I think the whole thing was the pull of family vs. the max.

Well let's get real on one point. Signing Koivu for multiple years is not the death knell for Martin's Devil career. Pandolfo, Zubrus, and Salvador (8.8M [!!!]) would all be sent packing before Lou risked letting Martin walk away.

Well let's get real on one point. Signing Koivu for multiple years is not the death knell for Martin's Devil career. Pandolfo, Zubrus, and Salvador (8.8M [!!!]) would all be sent packing before Lou risked letting Martin walk away.

yea where are they going, pango pango? the devils have 44.3 committed in 2010-11 to 14 players. martin's walking if we sign koivu for more than a year. there is no way vanderbeek is letting lou stash more than one contract in the minors. and few teams have spots available to just hide contracts.

[obligatory comment about how zubrus is only overpaid by $1 million and is irreplaceable given the devils' current situation]