Interesting quote by Lou

Devils Pride 26

fire and ice

I asked Lamoriello if Corrente and Eckford are ready to compete for NHL jobs in training camp in September.

"Yes," he said. "It's going to be very interesting. I'm very excited about our defense."

Right now, the Devils have Paul Martin, Johnny Oduya, Colin White, Mike Mottau, Bryce Salvador, Andy Greene as their top six NHL defensemen with Jay Leach, who bounced between Lowell and New Jersey last season, as a possible seventh.

I was pretty sure about Corrente but didn't know Lou thought so highly of Eckford. I'd love to see him crack the lineup if he's ready. Big guy that can skate and run a PP. If Whte isn't paied with Oduya, then I really think he should be with someone that can skate.

Martin - Oduya

White - Eckford

Salvador - Corrente

or

Martin - Corrente

White - Oduya

Salvador - Eckford

There's a lot of possible combinations. My thinking is the Devils usual defensive paired with a PMD. Asking Corrente to play on the top pair is a feeling I have based on how the Devils tend to break in promising defensemen, with the best guy at their side.

I think Greene and Eckford will be two guys going head to head a little. Both guys don't bring too much on the defensive end so would be expected to contribute offense/PP to bring value to the team.

I tend to think the team would go with Greene and let Eckford get major minutes in the AHL unless Eckford just blows them away.

How long does Salavdor have?

His best career move might be getting injured.

4 year deal was it not??

I still think he's somewhat tradable for decent value

Corrente got a pretty good look last training camp, right? Or maybe that was the year before ... can't remember. Either way, I remember getting the feeling that either this year or next year would be the season where he really got his shot.

Wow, whats with all the Salvador hate? For a guy whose only been here a year, I think he's already a Devil's type of guy. He's just a blue collar stay at home defenseman, responsible in his zone. How could Lou pay White 3 million and not offer Salvador close to that?

I was wondering that myself, but figured I must have missed something.

Corrente got a pretty good look last training camp, right? Or maybe that was the year before ... can't remember. Either way, I remember getting the feeling that either this year or next year would be the season where he really got his shot.

Yeah, the camp immediately after he was drafted he appeared to impress the brass quite a bit. The camp or camps after.....not so much.

I don't remember Salvador doing anything to warrant the hate. Yeah, he gets hurt, but thats the price you pay with his style. He's a good team guy, stands up for his team mates.

Willing to block those shots, engage in a scrap or two...I thought he went a long way to fit in last year.

Wow, whats with all the Salvador hate? For a guy whose only been here a year, I think he's already a Devil's type of guy. He's just a blue collar stay at home defenseman, responsible in his zone. How could Lou pay White 3 million and not offer Salvador close to that?

I like Salvador too, but I think the general dislike isn't so much for anything that he brings to the table, it's what he doesn't bring to the table. Defensemen (and forwards too, for that matter) who only excel in the defensive aspect of the game just aren't as valuable as they used to be. When Sal was re-upped, there was a fairly strong sentiment around here that the money coulda been better spent on someone who had more puck skills.

I like Salvador too, but I think the general dislike isn't so much for anything that he brings to the table, it's what he doesn't bring to the table. Defensemen (and forwards too, for that matter) who only excel in the defensive aspect of the game just aren't as valuable as they used to be. When Sal was re-upped, there was a fairly strong sentiment around here that the money coulda been better spent on someone who had more puck skills.

Bingo.

To reply from your first question about Corrente, the camp where he blew everyone away and probably should have made the team he was 19. It put the Devils in a tough spot because if they kept him on the 23 man roster they wouldn't have been able to send him to the AHL if he struggled because you have to be 20 to play in the AHL. I don't think they would've been allowed to send him back to the juniors either.

Your post here is bang on. If I could add on, I would say having Sal AND White is what makes it painful. You can live with one of them, but now you have two mid pairing defensemen that are one dimensional eating up 6M.