Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nmigliore

Devils Name Jacques Lemaire Head Coach

185 posts in this topic

Hey Jester!

I still remember our on air conversation concerning your book.

We also had a discussion about a Devils history book you told me you were working on. Has that ever gone to press?

Also, and this is for anyone to answer, is there a definitive (or two) books on the franchise worth reading? Something that goes back to day one - - the look inside the franchise shift from Denver to the swamp - - and all through the glory years?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Havent read it, but:

http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Progress-First-Jersey-Devils/dp/1563520397

1 person likes this

Hate beating a dead horse here, but for those complaining about Lemaire's age of 63 years old:

For comparison

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is 62 years old.

UConn coach Jim Calhoun is 67 years old.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel is 65 years old.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson is 65 years old.

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin is 62 years old.

Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden are 82 & 79 respectively. While they are both currently in the twilight of their careers, they've won multiple bowl games, conference titles, and national championships since turning 63.

Hate beating a dead horse here, but for those complaining about Lemaire's age of 63 years old:

For comparison

Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden are 82 & 79 respectively. While they are both currently in the twilight of their careers, they've won multiple bowl games, conference titles, and national championships since turning 63.

To make your research relevant, I think you should post the ages that those coaches began coaching with those teams... I think what everyone here is worried about that he is just starting his new stint as Devils coach at this age, that he won't last long from here.

For comparison

To make your research relevant, I think you should post the ages that those coaches began coaching with those teams... I think what everyone here is worried about that he is just starting his new stint as Devils coach at this age, that he won't last long from here.

Most of the coaches above have been with the organizations for a while, but...

Joe Torre started managing the Dodgers at 68. His team is currently in 1st place.

Charlie Manuel started managing the Phillies at 61. He has won a World Series.

Jim Leyland was 61 when he started managing the Tigers in 2006 and went to the World Series. His team is currently in 1st place.

Larry Brown won the NBA Championship in his first year as coach of the Pistons at age 64.

For comparison

For comparison

Most of the coaches above have been with the organizations for a while, but...

Joe Torre started managing the Dodgers at 68. His team is currently in 1st place.

Charlie Manuel started managing the Phillies at 61. He has won a World Series.

Jim Leyland was 61 when he started managing the Tigers in 2006 and went to the World Series. His team is currently in 1st place.

Larry Brown won the NBA Championship in his first year as coach of the Pistons at age 64.

Great posts!

baseball managers do nothing. i mean, basically all they do is hurt their teams with idiotic sacrifice bunts, poor bullpen management, so it's just a question of how much pain they inflict. but the effect of a manager is incredibly limited in baseball. i think nhl coaches have more of an impact than baseball managers and i don't think it's close.

the worry about jacques's age is that he will have a tough season, realize he has around 10 million stanley cups, and will go home. or that his thinking is inflexible and stuck in the mid-90s. none of those coaches cited allay those fears.

Edited by Triumph

baseball managers do nothing. i mean, basically all they do is hurt their teams with idiotic sacrifice bunts, poor bullpen management, so it's just a question of how much pain they inflict. but the effect of a manager is incredibly limited in baseball. i think nhl coaches have more of an impact than baseball managers and i don't think it's close.

the worry about jacques's age is that he will have a tough season, realize he has around 10 million stanley cups, and will go home. or that his thinking is inflexible and stuck in the mid-90s. none of those coaches cited allay those fears.

I agree that you run that risk (i.e. Larry Brown with the Knicks) but 63 is the new 55 baby! By the time I reach that age I probably won't be able to collect social security until 70 (if it exists at all) :ponzi scheme

I think what everyone here is worried about that he is just starting his new stint as Devils coach at this age, that he won't last long from here.

Sutter was young and was supposed to be the brave leader who would bring us into our next era of Devils hockey. He lasted two years.

Unless your name is Barry Trotz or Lindy Ruff, you ain't lasting long with any one team as an NHL coach. At least with Lemaire we won't have any dilusions of him sticking around forever and we can actually put a plan in place for a long-term replacement (like letting Johnny Mac test his head coaching abilities in the AHL, for example).

Odd random follow-up.. I was watching "Vintage Hockey" on NHL Network today and saw a 1970's game between the Canadiens and the Bruins... anyway, Mario Tremblay made a sick pass to Jaq Lameaire who put it home... the goal read "19:16, Lemaire, (Tremblay, Robinson)"... I thought that was pretty cool!!