So, Who's Left?

Triumph

There's still a surprising number of good players still out there. Not sure if Lou goes after one or not, but I definitely think this 'waiting it out' strategy is best. GM's get most panicky around July 1 or 2 - now that they've survived that onslaught of illogic, the guys left should certainly get more reasonable offers.

LW:

Alex Tanguay

P.J. Axelsson

Taylor Pyatt

Kyle Calder

Ryan Bayda

C:

Manny Malhotra

Dominic Moore

Mike Peca

Marcel Goc

Blair Betts

RW:

Todd Bertuzzi

Maxim Afinogenov

Petr Sykora

Mike Grier

Rob Niedermayer

D:

Derek Morris

Sergei Zubov

Francis Boullion

Marc-Andre Bergeron

Andrew Alberts

Dennis Seidenberg

Steve Eminger

Ville Koistinen

Cory Murphy

and that's not even to mention martin biron, who sure looks like an idiot now - hard to see where he will end up.

I imagine some of these players are sitting tight until arbitration - whatever team they prefer is saying 'look, we don't know how much we can pay you yet, but if you want to play here, you'll have to wait.' For the rest, though, it's open season - there's definitely bargains to be had.

I like Blair Betts, but I'm not sure he really has a spot here. Signing him would almost guarantee another season of Zubrus pivoting that second line (which may end up happening next season anyway). The rest of this group, I'm just not sure.

Do you see any of these guys signing in Jersey/Do you think anyone on the list would be a good fit here?

I can't see the devils signing any of those guys. I think Lou is comfortable with the Defense and knows they can get better with Corrente and Eckford might be able to step in.

With the fowards he is going to give the young kids a chance.

I think we're better off saving money unless we get Zubov or Lang (who I don't see up there) cheap. I'm fine going to battle with

Parise - Zajac - Langs

Rolston - Elias - Bergfors

Shanny* - Zubrus - Clarkson

PL3 - Pelley - Pikka

* splits time with Halischuk and Zharkov

Martin - Oduya

White - Corrente

Salvador - Eckford/Mottau/Greene

I think we're better off saving money unless we get Zubov or Lang (who I don't see up there) cheap. I'm fine going to battle with

Parise - Zajac - Langs

Rolston - Elias - Bergfors

Shanny* - Zubrus - Clarkson

PL3 - Pelley - Pikka

* splits time with Halischuk and Zharkov

Martin - Oduya

White - Corrente

Salvador - Eckford/Mottau/Greene

Shanny will get most of the playing time... So it would be difficult to get Halischuk or Zharkov in there. I think where people will split time is with PL3. PL3 will play vs the physically tough teams, Rangers, Flyers.. etc..

Where is Pando?? He will be on the club unless traded. Lou won't banish him to the AHL I dont think.

lang isn't up there because i don't think he can play hockey anymore.

i know lou said he likes where the defense is at but i think steve eminger could be a good addition. something like 2/2.2 would be fair for him - he got thrown around last year, but somewhere like new jersey could get his game together.

26, jay pandolfo is missing from your lineup, and that just ain't happening. (also mottau is being given short shrift as he played pretty damn well last season - he's *not* a 7th D)

It will be interesting to see...

Defense top 5 is already a given at this point...

Martin/Oduya

White/Mottau

Salvador

The 6th spot will be between Corrente and Greene.. If greene wins out.. then the devils will find someone else other than Corrente to be the 7th dman.

Pando will be playing. Especially with Lemaire as coach. He will be on the 3rd line with Shanny.

Pando will be playing. Especially with Lemaire as coach. He will be on the 3rd line with Shanny.

if this happens, i'm sure someone can wait outside pando or shanahan's car with a crowbar. the devils cannot have jay pandolfo and brendan shanahan playing on a third line.

if this happens, i'm sure someone can wait outside pando or shanahan's car with a crowbar. the devils cannot have jay pandolfo and brendan shanahan playing on a third line.

I would think Jay would be the extra foward and rotate with PL3... but he's getting paid 2.5m/yr to be an extra?? Lou won't have that.

The devils might not even sign shanny.. and if they dont.. that puts Pando on line 3

• Like 1

lang isn't up there because i don't think he can play hockey anymore.

i know lou said he likes where the defense is at but i think steve eminger could be a good addition. something like 2/2.2 would be fair for him - he got thrown around last year, but somewhere like new jersey could get his game together.

26, jay pandolfo is missing from your lineup, and that just ain't happening. (also mottau is being given short shrift as he played pretty damn well last season - he's *not* a 7th D)

It's wishful thinking on my part that he would play badly enough to get scartched, if not hopefully he gets nothing more than a 4th line role. I'm not a fan of Mottau, I'd rather see someone there with the potential to become a mainstay back there (Eckford). Mottau is just to friggin slow for my liking. And for the love of god, please, PLEASE do not pair him with Colin White and throw them out there against Staal.

Shanny will get most of the playing time... So it would be difficult to get Halischuk or Zharkov in there. I think where people will split time is with PL3. PL3 will play vs the physically tough teams, Rangers, Flyers.. etc..

I doubt Shanny plays more then 50 games and that is assuming we sign him. Halischuk and Zharkov for Shanny and Pando for PL3 is what I hope happens.

I would think Jay would be the extra foward and rotate with PL3... but he's getting paid 2.5m/yr to be an extra?? Lou won't have that.

The devils might not even sign shanny.. and if they dont.. that puts Pando on line 3

Sure he will. He did last year for over half the season.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

c'mon, eckford was a huge minus his first year in albany, he's a converted forward, and his cap hit is more than mottau's (true story, this). mottau was a huge + last season, just because he was used poorly by sutter in the playoffs does not mean he's not a solid D.

c'mon, eckford was a huge minus his first year in albany, he's a converted forward, and his cap hit is more than mottau's (true story, this). mottau was a huge + last season, just because he was used poorly by sutter in the playoffs does not mean he's not a solid D.

Eckford is a stretch but I still don't want Mottau in the top 4 or paired with White.

for some reason marek zidlicky isn't listed on the list i used, but yeah he'd be an okay option. thing is, i'd rather go cheap with eminger on a multi-year deal or zubov on a one year deal. i don't think the devils can afford to give zidlicky the 2M+ contract he is no doubt seeking.

tanguay is like, the least likely player to come here, the devils have 4 LWs (elias, parise, rolston, pandolfo).

Lou won't have it? The guy sat for games and games when Shanahan was signed.

I think, if anything, this shows us we have more depth than everybody thinks and we could package a couple guys for a decent 2nd line center. Say we sign Shanny, as Lou has said he wants to do.

ZZPops

Elias ____ Rolston

Shanny Zubrus Clarkson

Pando Pelley Pikkarainen

Oduya Martin

White Salvador

Mottau Greene/Corrente

That leaves Halischuk, Bergfors, PL3, and Greene or Corrente as possible trade bait. Halischuk/Bergfors and Corrente for a 2nd line center? Doesn't seem out of the question to me. Or Clarkson, Halischuk, and Greene, plugging Bergfors into the 3rd line RW slot? Lou has said he'd look into trades, and TG thinks our 2nd line center will come via trade as well.

I dont think they will trade Bergfors.. I think they will let him play and ultimately he will be on a line with Elias and Rolston.

I know Jacques is used to having Rolston on the wing, but he is a decent center.. or they move Elias to Center to create more space.

• Like 1