Devils avoid arbitration with Zajac (4yrs 3.9/yr)

estreetcrew3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news, obviously, though I'm curious as to what the terms are. At least we know no one's feelings are getting hurt.

I was really shocked that Zajac had elected to go to arbitration it didnt seem in his character.

Im very please that has been avoided and we have locked up a huge peice of this teams future.Its going to be really interesting to see what the terms are, personaly i thik it will be a 3 year deal with him making steadily more each year something like:

1st year: $3.75mill

2nd year: $4.5mill

3rd year: $5.0mill

Cap hit: $4.41 Million

I was really shocked that Zajac had elected to go to arbitration it didnt seem in his character.

Im very please that has been avoided and we have locked up a huge peice of this teams future.Its going to be really interesting to see what the terms are, personaly i thik it will be a 3 year deal with him making steadily more each year something like:

You have Zajac making $4.5 mill and $5.0 mill in the second and third years of this deal based off one breakout year? Look at Zach Parise's contract...Zajac isn't making anywhere near $9.5 mill over the last two years of such a deal.

You have Zajac making $4.5 mill and $5.0 mill in the second and third years of this deal based off one breakout year? Look at Zach Parise's contract...Zajac isn't making anywhere near $9.5 mill over the last two years of such a deal.

This is what I based the numbers on:

When Parise was signed he was offered a deal (which he straight off which he accepted) which was structured with him receiving less at the start and eventually increasing (Parise is making $5mill in the last year of his contract). The contract Lou offered was fair and everyone was pleased because it had Parise taking a little less initially that most here thought he could get (I think a lot of people thought that contract was a steal by Lou).

So when it comes to Zajac, (unless Lou completely low balled Zajac ,which may not be a surprise) I would have thought Lou would have offered a very similar Parise type deal to Zajac with Slightly inflated numbers due to the current market.

The fact that Zajac decided to go for arbitration means that he was looking for more and thought that the offer was not substantial enough, so if Lou didnt Low ball him then he Lou would have to come up with a better offer thus meaning Zajac could take home more than Parise.

Thats just my line of thinking on it.

If you want for the second year of that contract you can make it the same figure as the First but I still see it coming in at around $4 million cap hit.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Couldn't agree more. Same folks on this board that loved him last year hated him the year before. Now they think a fair deal is 4.41 ave over 3. Freaking ridiculous. Hope he has a great year at a reasonable price.

Parise jumped on the deal Lou gave because he will make a sh!t load more in his career. Parise isn't a decent player....he is great. His next contract will be Elias money.

Nice news, can't wait to hear what what the terms are. My first thought when I saw this thread..."now a lot of Devil fans can step back from that ledge."

haha, i think it's more like - 'devil fans can step back from *that* ledge, but they're still in front of 3 others'

btw i think chaimara is close to right. zajac will almost certainly get paid something like 4.5 and 5 on the back two years of this deal