Can Scott Stevens teach the New Jersey Devils how to win again?

nyrsuck26

If Great One cant help Phoenix win, why would we expect that Scotty can? That being said, I couldn't be happier than to have him with the team. But he cant get out there with them.

He's not the head coach. Lemaire is a hell of a lot more important to them winning than Stevens. Even Albelin is going to be spending more time with the team. That said, the 80 seconds of hell showed us our d needs some help, and a Devils legend who also happened to be an incredibly smart player coming back to work with them can't hurt at all.

while i don't think scott stevens will have a large impact on this team at all, i also fail to see how it's a 'backwards looking' move. every coaching hire would be a backwards looking move in this regard.

The Devils' "peak" is seemingly 94-04. Stevens and Lemaire were key figures in that success. Hiring those two guys is a backwards looking move, add it to the list that includes signing Brian Rolston, resigning Pandolfo and countless veterans like Shanahan and others over the years.

The Devils' "peak" is seemingly 94-04. Stevens and Lemaire were key figures in that success. Hiring those two guys is a backwards looking move, add it to the list that includes signing Brian Rolston, resigning Pandolfo and countless veterans like Shanahan and others over the years.

That doesn't have to be backwards looking. There is a reason those players were on the team in the first place, because Lou liked them, to think just because they left the team at some point Lou would stop liking them doesn't make sense to me. Basically what you're saying is teams signing people who have ever played or worked for the team is a backwards looking move when it's more likely a move the team makes because the players or coaches still work with the teams philosophy.

If Lou wasn't the GM it would seem more likely to me to be a backwards looking move but it's still Lou at the helm and Lou still likes the same personalities in players and coaches so it isn't a surprise he would continue to value those things now and he did then.

is it also a backwards looking move for the red wings to continue to employ kirk maltby, kris draper, chris osgood, and now adding todd bertuzzi and jason williams, ex-red wings, to the menagerie?

rolston was the best signing available - just seems like the devils' luck has run out.

it's always backwards looking when you bring in a coach, especially if you've been a general manager for 20 years. plus scott stevens isn't going to leave the organization holding the bag, something which is nice to know.

Edited by Triumph

Is it just me or does Stevens in that picture still look like he could tear the head off a bear in a few seconds?

I agree 110%. Scotty still has those determined, wolf-like eyes...

Edited by empulse27

If Great One cant help Phoenix win, why would we expect that Scotty can? That being said, I couldn't be happier than to have him with the team. But he cant get out there with them.

Because when Wayne Gretzky gives you an angry look, it doesn't make you sh!t your pants. Scotty on the other hand...

I think it's taking a step back (not backWARDS) to get a clearer vision. Stevens is NOT one to have a clear "where we is at" picture. Maybe he can see things more clearly when he's not on ice - I mean that sincerely.

I see no problem or taking step backwards in any of the moves. I can see saying Lemaire could be... but he's moved ahead with the Wild. Maybe in conservative steps... whatever... I've got work to do here so -- whatever... yippee for stevens whoohoo

Edited by Pepperkorn

So is his role more an off ice motivator and teacher or on ice or both.I would love to see him behind the bench at games firing up the troops and getting them ready for every game.Either way the devils will be taught tighter defense with him and jacques here something we lacked last year and toughness with out commiting stupid penalties and protectingg our goalie is most important tho im proud of many of our players like Zubby getting angry numerous of times and punching guys in their faces