2009 Scarlet Knights thread!

metallidevils

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Big ten looking at expansion...its possible that Rutgers could be that 12th team due to their academics, land grant University, member of the AAU, and the biggest market in the country. I would be all for it personally. Sure it would be harder to compete football, but much easier to compete in bball. Rutgers would be near the top as far as baseball and soccer go too.

of course the Big Ten's 1st choice is going to be ND...I doubt they accept the Big Ten's invite.

Big ten looking at expansion...its possible that Rutgers could be that 12th team due to their academics, land grant University, member of the AAU, and the biggest market in the country. I would be all for it personally. Sure it would be harder to compete football, but much easier to compete in bball. Rutgers would be near the top as far as baseball and soccer go too.

of course the Big Ten's 1st choice is going to be ND...I doubt they accept the Big Ten's invite.

there's no way nd goes. They'd have to give up the NBC contract, which they're extending, so no dice. Barry Alvarez, AD for wisconsin, says they want a travel partner for Penn St so RU, Pitt (which doesn't have a large enough following) and Syracuse are the obvious choices with RU being most similar to the Big Ten schools. Rutgers would have to accept in a second

there's no way nd goes. They'd have to give up the NBC contract, which they're extending, so no dice. Barry Alvarez, AD for wisconsin, says they want a travel partner for Penn St so RU, Pitt (which doesn't have a large enough following) and Syracuse are the obvious choices with RU being most similar to the Big Ten schools. Rutgers would have to accept in a second

yeah i and i think they would in a sec. but if the big ten takes a BE team then the BE probably adds memphis...What a ridiculous bball schedule that would be

I follow rutgers a little, I'd rather them just stay and be contenders in the big east the next few years with savage than be doormats in the big ten.

well the big east schools will have to think about it. If say the B10 goes to ND first (which they will), they will most likely be turned down. Next can come a mix of schools, one of them IMHO is going to be Rutgers, hell i actually think it would be their 2nd choice due to the money they can get from the big ten network in the NY market. The question is how can Rutgers turn them down? if they pass the B10 will most likly go after another school from the Big East. The only other 2 schools that would fit (by B10 Rules) from the Big East is Pitt and Cuse. They would most likely be chomping at the bit for a B10 spot, so what ever one they would choose would go, and thus putting the BE in MAJOR trouble in the football area, and that is what makes the money in college sports. So if Rutgers gets the invite IMHO, they would have to accept. and it would make sense

Pros for the Big ten to add Rutgers: $$$ the NYC market with the Big Ten Network, East coast exposure which means that kids from NJ (which last year had 11 1st round draft picks in the NFL) will be more likly to hear about another big ten school thus more likely to play for that school, A good academic program which the big ten take seriously.

Cons for the Big Ten to add Rutgers: not an established sports program although they are working on that it has certainly been on the upswing (not just in football)

Pros for Rutgers to accept the B10's invite: More exposure, more respect (which means alot in today's world of college football), more money with the Big Ten's revenue sharing policy, chance to land better recruits, and more of a chance that people from the Mid-West could apply to the school.

Cons for Rutgers to accept the invite: Wouldnt be a big time team in the big ten, possibility of having more down years than it would in the Big East.

And im not so sure they would be doormat in the B10 if they made the jump, they wouldnt be contenders but they wouldnt be doormats. They wouldnt be as good as Ohio State or Pennstate yeah, but after that who does the B10 have? Michigan? there having an awful start to the Rich Rod era. Iowa? yes they could have a good team, but im not ready to write them as an Elite team after one year of relevance. So if Rutgers would go bowl eligible, which they can in the B10, they would get a better bowl then then would in the Big East, unless they win it, thus giving them more money to be pumped into the athletic program, which would mean more money to the school.

We would've gone anywhere between 5-3 and 3-5 in the Big Ten this year. There's the perception that they are miles ahead of the big east, but top to bottom I don't really think that's true. It'd still be great for the program, and I hope it happens.

their "elite" teams always get run out of the building in the BCS games every year. Last year with Penn State and USC it was a joke. And who remembers Ohio State in the title games getting their doors blown off? The Big Ten isn't better than the Big East, it's just perception

The big east blows. and whats worse is rutgers plays absolute ass teams in out of conference games. yeah the top of the big ten gets run in bcs games, oh well.

see the big 10 gets run in BCS games but the Big East doesn't. Rutgers does play an absolutely horrible schedule but the best team in Ohio was Cincinnati and the best team in Pennsylvania was Pitt since State Penn didn't play anybody at all. It's not like the big 10 has depth either with teams like Illinois, Indiana being awful and the mediocrity of Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin. Iowa and Ohio State are pretty good, but OSU got beat by the worst USC team in 10 years that was obliterated by every decent Pac 10 team at home and Iowa had nothing resembling an offense.

The problem with the big east is, its a different school every year. wv had a good run a few years ago but they aren't what they once were. louisville is playing like they are trying to get back in the c usa. usf was big 2 years ago but again, they are not as good as they once were. same for rutgers, but their peak was even less (texas bowl season) sure cinci and pitt did great this year, but the big east needs a team in it every year. they just dont have that team thats a powerhouse year after year. The middle of the road teams kick the sh!t out of the middle of the road teams in the big east

The problem with the big east is, its a different school every year. wv had a good run a few years ago but they aren't what they once were. louisville is playing like they are trying to get back in the c usa. usf was big 2 years ago but again, they are not as good as they once were. same for rutgers, but their peak was even less (texas bowl season) sure cinci and pitt did great this year, but the big east needs a team in it every year. they just dont have that team thats a powerhouse year after year. The middle of the road teams kick the sh!t out of the middle of the road teams in the big east

This is a sign of good competition within the conference. WVU had Pat White AND Steve Slaton which was a dynamic duo for them. Once they left, they slid a little. Not to mention Rich Rod bounced for the $$$ to Ann Arbor. Cinci had a great year this season....next year the BE is up in the air...I think RU can make a run at the BE title behind Tom Savage's arm, and Sanu leading the way at WR...hopefully Williams will get more carries at RB....Pitt should be dangerous next year as well...

Man I still have a hard time getting excited for these bowl games--it makes no difference if you win or lose, either way your season is over. I really really really hope they start using a playoff format sometime in my lifetime.

Unless you are 80 or older, "in your lifetime" is highly unacceptable. It should happen within the next 5 years TOPS! It is ridiculous. I have never seen such a public outcry for something that has been met with such resistance. A playoff would be HUGE....

Unless you are 80 or older, "in your lifetime" is highly unacceptable. It should happen within the next 5 years TOPS! It is ridiculous. I have never seen such a public outcry for something that has been met with such resistance. A playoff would be HUGE....

Yea, just shows the corporations are more powerful than the fans unless we all decide to boycott the BCS but I doubt enough people would be willing to do that.

Yea, just shows the corporations are more powerful than the fans unless we all decide to boycott the BCS but I doubt enough people would be willing to do that.

I am not sure why corporations would be so against it. I actually think the ratings would be much HIGHER for playoff games, knowing that the winner MOVES ON and it is not the end of the season for both teams. Each playoff game could be a "insert company name here Bowl" I just think it is better on so many levels for college football as a whole...the BCS system is just sh!tty and tired at this point. I do not think anyone likes it other than the powers that be that keep bringing it back....

I am not sure why corporations would be so against it. I actually think the ratings would be much HIGHER for playoff games, knowing that the winner MOVES ON and it is not the end of the season for both teams. Each playoff game could be a "insert company name here Bowl" I just think it is better on so many levels for college football as a whole...the BCS system is just sh!tty and tired at this point. I do not think anyone likes it other than the powers that be that keep bringing it back....

I don't know I guess they're afraid the naming rights would be more expensive for the championship and semifinals games, or maybe they don't want to be stuck being the sponsor for some early round game or something.

I don't know I guess they're afraid the naming rights would be more expensive for the championship and semifinals games, or maybe they don't want to be stuck being the sponsor for some early round game or something.

Time will tell, but something has got to give. A playoff system would be amazing for fans across the country. Time to see who the TRUE National Champion is, not play one game based on some silly computer calculations!

• 1 month later...