Theo Fluery Released By Flames

marty_is_better30

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292512

The verdict is in. After a much-publicized attempt at an NHL comeback, Theoren Fleury has been released by the Calgary Flames.

The team released a statement Friday afternoon confirming the decision.

"I believe Theoren did a great job and should be proud, especially considering all the factors including age, time away from the game and lifestyle change," said general manager Darryl Sutter in the statement. "This is not a hockey story; it's a life story. Our agreement with Theoren was that he had to be one of our top six wingers and there were never any intentions of assigning him to the American Hockey League."

The Sutters must have really thought he couldn't help, though, 'cause they need to win this year or they whole family may get the boot. Maybe Fleury doesn't want to play as a checker so the team and him decided the top 6 thing together?

we're bashing the sutters here, not defending them. didn't you get that memo?

fleury said with TSN he just wants to play, and since he's broke and 41 years old i believe him.

The Sutters must have really thought he couldn't help, though, 'cause they need to win this year or they whole family may get the boot. Maybe Fleury doesn't want to play as a checker so the team and him decided the top 6 thing together?

This is above Brent's head I would say, plus, do you really think Theo would reject any position. He would probably be the mascot for that team.

This is above Brent's head I would say, plus, do you really think Theo would reject any position. He would probably be the mascot for that team.

I'm not saying it's Brents call. I'm saying every Sutter there can't afford to have a bad season so I don't think they'd throw away someone they think could help. I didn't see Fluery play so I have no idea if they're correct.

Edited by Devils731

Yeah -- this is another messed up move by the Sutters :blink: I just saw the one game - and really just highlights Fleury did a decent job. I don't think they can pull the he has to be one of our top 6 card. You don't let a guy show his stuff if you never had any intension of signing him. That's what this looks like at face value.

Now, I knwo this sh!t bugs NJ4Life but ... it could be there was another problem that it would be inappropriate to reference in a press release - that's actually sort of what I feel like may be the deal. Someone caught Theo prematurely "celebrating" his return to the NHL or something. :cheers:

I dont want to think the Sutters are that boneheaded they'd just dick a guy over.

I think an NHL team will get him.

I think Sather will let Staal, Dubinsky and Roszival go so he can sign him for 2 years, 10 mil.

He should land on his feet somewhere, probably still good enough to play on someone's bottom 6. This is not a vet who you can rely on for leadership or physical play and you're always worried for another disrupting slip-up. Noy enough upside for us to take a chance on. He seems perfect for the Flyers.