titans04

Lowell/Trenton Rosters

104 posts in this topic

Lord Lou told TG he wasn't going to bring up any forwards from Lowell.

I dont see why they would. They have Peters, Leblond, Pikka & Halischuk which have all been rotating spots.

Based on last games starting lines...

Parise-Zubrus-Langs

Bergfors-Zajac-Clarkson

Pandolfo-Nieds-Rolston

Leblond-Pelley-Pikka

Take out Pandolfo...Throw in Halischuk..and you still have Peters as an extra forward. Also Elias should be back fairly soon.

On Defense you got

Salvador-Oduya

White- Mottau

Fraser-Greene

Murphy

Lowell will have:

Davison

Magnan

Leach

Eckford

Corrente

Taormina

Flynn

So I mean I can see Cohen staying down in Trenton. Of course if not, I dont see it being a problem...We seem to be stockpiling defenseman. And truthfully, Trenton's defense hasnt been a real problem...its been our offense + Powerplay + Goalie (Caruso's last game not counting).

Trentons Roster is also pretty good even tho we havent been scoring much yet...It might take some time to see who can fill castongauys shoes for scoring...Nagy = Snets ... Harder = Henkel (I know some people wont agree).

We have what seems like a good team..Just its going to take time to gel.

Edited by TrentonPwnedFlorida

Harder's been fairly useless to this point. Certainly not an equal to Henkel, and Jim brought a lot off the ice as well.

Hopefully they don't wait until December to gel.

On D, Pender has been just brutal, he hasn't shown he has a clue what to do with that little black thing called a "puck" which of course explains why he's been on the powerless play.

Here's hoping the turnaround begins tonite.

edit: I should say the PP showed a little life at times against J town. They created chances, but couldn't cash in. So that's something...

Edited by Devils1985

Ouch for Trenton:

10/29/2009 Matt Cohen (D) Lowell ADD Recalled from loan to Trenton (ECHL)

Harder's been fairly useless to this point. Certainly not an equal to Henkel, and Jim brought a lot off the ice as well.

I have said the same thing. Henkel > Harder

Edited by TrentonPwnedFlorida

Ouch for Trenton:

10/29/2009 Matt Cohen (D) Lowell ADD Recalled from loan to Trenton (ECHL)

Yeah, and that was *before* the injury to Oduya. Who's next?

Somebody had the foresight to stock up on D-men, good thing and let's hope they can hold the fort.

PS -- never seen Harder play, agree he's not a hot-swap substitute for Henkel, but if he's making the adjustment to non-metric ice, it will take a few games, it's not instantaneous so it's too early to dump him.

Edited by Shtikl

Yeah, and that was *before* the injury to Oduya. Who's next?

Somebody had the foresight to stock up on D-men, good thing and let's hope they can hold the fort.

PS -- never seen Harder play, agree he's not a hot-swap substitute for Henkel, but if he's making the adjustment to non-metric ice, it will take a few games, it's not instantaneous so it's too early to dump him.

It's not the size of the ice, he also has a long history of AHL time in 1990's. I wish it was a size of the ice deal, he looks to be done with no legs left at all.

10/4

Trenton:

Add Gord Burnett, D activated off IR

Add Chris Murray, D activated off IR

Add John Wessbecker, D activated off IR

Delete Jeremy Akeson, F placed on the 3-day IR

Delete Justin Pender, D placed on the 7-day IR

10/4

Trenton:

Add Gord Burnett, D activated off IR

Add Chris Murray, D activated off IR

Add John Wessbecker, D activated off IR

Delete Jeremy Akeson, F placed on the 3-day IR

Delete Justin Pender, D placed on the 7-day IR

Shuffling the queue at the nacho counter, eh?

This isn't going to help either one of us.

Defenseman Jay Leach placed on re-entry waivers

The Devils have placed defenseman Jay Leach on re-entry waivers.

If he is not claimed by another team before noon on Friday, the Devils can call him up from Lowell.

If Leach is claimed by another team, half of his NHL salary of $487,500 would still count against the Devils

Brilliant according to reports Leach was claimed by Montreal. Kudos to the front office.

Brilliant according to reports Leach was claimed by Montreal. Kudos to the front office.

lol, knew you'd be on here complaining about this move. we all know that the minor leagues are the priority.

it sucks for lowell and trenton but it's the right move for the devils.

Edited by Triumph

lol, knew you'd be on here complaining about this move. we all know that the minor leagues are the priority.

it sucks for lowell and trenton but it's the right move for the devils.

This is exactly the place to complain. It's PURGATORY, it's all about the MINOR LEAGUE Devils.

In the long run, Lou's habit of crapping on the minor league franchises and their fans is going to cost the Devils, but hopefully by then the Trenton and Lowell fans will be cheering for teams in Allentown, Worcester and Manchester. The NJ Devils will always be the North Jersey Devils.

From the young player development prospective, it's not a smart move either, unless Lou can come up with a replacement. The loss of Leach, with his experience and his honest stay-at-home defenseman play, will hurt Corrente's and Eckford's and now Taormina's development. There's no way in Hell those three boys are ready to be team captains. Davison rushes, Magnan rushes, and after that you're bringing up ECHLers. This will also probably hurt Frazee, he'll be even more shellshocked than he was Wednesday night and it will go on all season long. But all of that won't show up for a couple of years.

Anyway, doesn't matter, Leach is gone for now.

So, titans04, who'll be coming up to visit in Lowell? Should I have my spy buy 'em a L-Devils hat? ;)

I remember when Bergfors was destroyed by the poor Lowell teams, same thing will happen with Eckford and Corrente with no Leach now. Whatever happened to that Bergfors guy anyway? :P

Of course extra ice time and responsibility could always help a players growth too. Or none of this could have any factor in a players growth. Players growth seems somewhat random and player specific so I don't think we can definitively say what losing Leach will do to the Devils prospects.

This is exactly the place to complain. It's PURGATORY, it's all about the MINOR LEAGUE Devils.

In the long run, Lou's habit of crapping on the minor league franchises and their fans is going to cost the Devils, but hopefully by then the Trenton and Lowell fans will be cheering for teams in Allentown, Worcester and Manchester. The NJ Devils will always be the North Jersey Devils.

From the young player development prospective, it's not a smart move either, unless Lou can come up with a replacement. The loss of Leach, with his experience and his honest stay-at-home defenseman play, will hurt Corrente's and Eckford's and now Taormina's development. There's no way in Hell those three boys are ready to be team captains.

where was leach last year? in the NHL for most of the season, not developing players in the minors.

the biggest beef with lou wrt to the minor leagues should have to do with attendance/marketing issues, which there i'm not going to comment because i totally agree but my agreement will sound patronizing. so, right. what i do not agree with it is the notion that calling up jay leach is 'crapping on the minor league franchises' - it's not like he was traded, he was called up to the big squad and lost on waivers (he made it through half the league, at least). leach was gone at the end of the year, either gone to an NHL team or another AHL one.

Davison rushes, Magnan rushes, and after that you're bringing up ECHLers.

the minor leagues should get one of murphy or fraser back by january if all goes according to plan.

I remember when Bergfors was destroyed by the poor Lowell teams, same thing will happen with Eckford and Corrente with no Leach now. Whatever happened to that Bergfors guy anyway? :P

Of course extra ice time and responsibility could always help a players growth too. Or none of this could have any factor in a players growth. Players growth seems somewhat random and player specific so I don't think we can definitively say what losing Leach will do to the Devils prospects.

Hey, great for any of the players if they stick. Sure worked for Vrana and Tallackson and Ahonen. But burnout is just as likely as success, if they're pushed too hard. And so are injuries, which don't do a thing to improve a player's development. Anyway, youse NHL fans will enjoy the results either way and Lou can always trade somebody -- whoops, too bad he has no trade bait, how'd that happen? But surely there's a thread congratulating Lou on his brilliance, up in the Hell forum.

Meanwhile, down here in the compost heap of the minor leagues, we think it's interesting that Gainey waited until almost the last minute to pull the trigger and claim Leach. The Devils won't have Leach as a backup tonight, not that most fans in Newark will notice anyway. Murphy seems to be a fan favorite. :uni:

More interesting is that Lowell played very poorly, especially in their own end, during the first of a 4-games-in-4.75-days week, they'll be on the team bus with a road-home-road matinee schedule, and with no spare to give the rookies and sophomores a night off if they need it, the kids are going to be exhausted. Not that anybody in Newark gives a flying eructation, of course. But Taormina never played a schedule like this before, none of the rookies have. Hope they can all handle the ice time. Wonder if Robitaille is any good on D...

And Trenton only has 3 games in 3 nights this weekend also -- all three in Elmira, the team that mopped the floor with the T-Devils last game and last season, so it's extremely thoughtful of Lou to cost them a blueliner when their team is on the road, they'll start the month a perfect 0-4 and be scrambling to find live bodies all next week. Oh, but the Trenton fans aren't supposed to expect anything much in return for their ticket money, either, are they?

Say, you're right, Triumph, Leach wasn't in Lowell last year. And the L-Devils made the playoffs, too, the first time in 10 years the Devils AHL affiliate did so, and I completely missed it. Wow. And Eckford was a -23, he did so well with all the extra ice time. Makes me wonder why anybody would bother putting Leach on waivers, when Eckford was so NHL-ready. Probably Lou just wanted to save Montreal $200,000 in salary, and didn't want to get anybody in exchange who would fill up the AHL roster. Such a kind guy, always thinking of other teams' needs...

It's really simple Triumph, our 2k goes to the Trenton Devils so frankly that what I care about most. Wouldn't expect anybody but the few Trenton and Lowell fans to understand.

Shtikl - nicely done.

I am however smart enough to realize Leach getting picked off is part of Lou's grand plan. Now can I have more kool aid?

Edited by titans04

It's really simple Triumph, our 2k goes to the Trenton Devils so frankly that what I care about most. Wouldn't expect anybody but the few Trenton and Lowell fans to understand.

Shtikl - nicely done.

I am however smart enough to realize Leach getting picked off is part of Lou's grand plan. Now can I have more kool aid?

We should probably confine our conversations and GDTs to the Riveting Hockey forum and leave this one for the experts.

Hey, great for any of the players if they stick. Sure worked for Vrana and Tallackson and Ahonen. But burnout is just as likely as success, if they're pushed too hard. And so are injuries, which don't do a thing to improve a player's development. Anyway, youse NHL fans will enjoy the results either way and Lou can always trade somebody -- whoops, too bad he has no trade bait, how'd that happen? But surely there's a thread congratulating Lou on his brilliance, up in the Hell forum.

Meanwhile, down here in the compost heap of the minor leagues, we think it's interesting that Gainey waited until almost the last minute to pull the trigger and claim Leach. The Devils won't have Leach as a backup tonight, not that most fans in Newark will notice anyway. Murphy seems to be a fan favorite. :uni:

More interesting is that Lowell played very poorly, especially in their own end, during the first of a 4-games-in-4.75-days week, they'll be on the team bus with a road-home-road matinee schedule, and with no spare to give the rookies and sophomores a night off if they need it, the kids are going to be exhausted. Not that anybody in Newark gives a flying eructation, of course. But Taormina never played a schedule like this before, none of the rookies have. Hope they can all handle the ice time. Wonder if Robitaille is any good on D...

And Trenton only has 3 games in 3 nights this weekend also -- all three in Elmira, the team that mopped the floor with the T-Devils last game and last season, so it's extremely thoughtful of Lou to cost them a blueliner when their team is on the road, they'll start the month a perfect 0-4 and be scrambling to find live bodies all next week. Oh, but the Trenton fans aren't supposed to expect anything much in return for their ticket money, either, are they?

Say, you're right, Triumph, Leach wasn't in Lowell last year. And the L-Devils made the playoffs, too, the first time in 10 years the Devils AHL affiliate did so, and I completely missed it. Wow. And Eckford was a -23, he did so well with all the extra ice time. Makes me wonder why anybody would bother putting Leach on waivers, when Eckford was so NHL-ready. Probably Lou just wanted to save Montreal $200,000 in salary, and didn't want to get anybody in exchange who would fill up the AHL roster. Such a kind guy, always thinking of other teams' needs...

this would have all been true anyway. if the devils called up davison or corrente or eckford or magnan-grenier, everything you said in this post is all still true - trenton and lowell have to play short-handed. the devils aren't 25 deep at defense in the ECHL/AHL/NHL - i don't think that should come as a surprise to anyone. the devils have 6 D in new jersey right now, they wanted a 7th, and they gambled on the best guy and lost him.

re: depth - it's on its way. lowell is already better this year, and next year will likely get some number of tedenby, josefson, urbom, henrique, miller, mcintyre, and young. at least 3 of these will be lowell devils next season.

i also don't think gainey 'waited until the last minute' - if multiple teams put in a claim, the player goes to the team with the worst record, so one has to wait until the end of the waiver period.

Shtikl - nicely done.

when you say things like line 1, i say, 'oh, okay'.

when you say things like line 3, i say, 'oh, you don't know what you're talking about'. if i read this forum and used your tone to approximate how trenton was doing in the standings, i would've had absolutely no clue that they made the playoffs last year. don't use this as a launching point for all your trenton-related grievances, i know them all already.

admittedly didn't read all the points on the jay leach thing, but i just want to ask what would you have done if you were Lou? I hear many critics about this but he didn't have many options.

with oduya hurting and eventually being sent to IR there were only 6 defensemen on the club, 1 of which is right now a 6th or 7th defenseman at best (Fraser) and another who hardly looks like he could hold his own in the American League (Murphy).

i'd rather he try and call up Leach then have another situation like in 05/06... where after the malakhov fiasco we brought tommy albelin out of retirement and traded for ken klee. do you people remember ken klee. the guy played like 20 games for the devils and he is without a doubt my least favorite player to have ever played for the devils.

or how about 2007, where the devils were forced to use mark fraser for 7 games and alex brooks for 19 games until they worked up the cap room to put andy greene on the roster.

Triumph plain and simple I don't care what you agree or disagree with. If they just needed a short term D man (which based on what Little Lou said regarding Oduya's injury and Neidemyers for that matter) why not call up Davison who according to what TG posted a couple weeks back would not need to clear waivers based on his AHL salary?

Being 3-4 weeks in a new season I'm sure the Lowell faithful aren't all that concerned about who they might get next season.

Triumph plain and simple I don't care what you agree or disagree with. If they just needed a short term D man (which based on what Little Lou said regarding Oduya's injury and Neidemyers for that matter) why not call up Davison who according to what TG posted a couple weeks back would not need to clear waivers based on his AHL salary?

the answer you're not going to want to hear is that leach is better than davison. and if this had been a giant concern of lou's, he would've kept leach on the roster all year, thus depriving lowell of jay leach either way. i doubt that the move would've been to bring up leach and then send him back down - it would've been to bring him up, then send fraser down.

Being 3-4 weeks in a new season I'm sure the Lowell faithful aren't all that concerned about who they might get next season.

well they're still a playoff contender anyway.

Edited by Triumph

Not even close. They'll fall behind this month, then when the flu hits and they lose more bodies, December and January will be lost causes, and by February they'll be so far out of contention, they might as well play the funeral march instead of the national anthem at the start of the game.

Trevor Kell recalled to Lowell.