njdevil26

GDT: 10/5/09 Rangers @ Devils 7pm

355 posts in this topic

also lemaire is clearly experimenting with the team. he didn't match lines. he put pikkarainen out on the power play. i don't think he knows exactly what he has and stuff's being worked out on the fly.

I know Brodeur has this horrible record going right now versus the Queen -- and it really really sucks -- but really, like others are saying, with Elias out and all these inexperienced guys in, and with a new coach, it's gonna take some time to get going with any consistency.

We're gonna have to lower our expectations for a while.

I usually just come in with zero expectations. Especially with this team.

not sure how realistic this possibility is but any chance the new pads have a lot to do with marty looking so uncomfortable? i know he made the big deal over the summer about switching brands and it's obvious he's still breaking them in. he just looks like he can't feel the puck like he wants and he gave up more than a few big rebounds. not saying it's all pads but it could be related? thoughts?

I know Brodeur has this horrible record going right now versus the Queen -- and it really really sucks -- but really, like others are saying, with Elias out and all these inexperienced guys in, and with a new coach, it's gonna take some time to get going with any consistency.

We're gonna have to lower our expectations for a while.

My expectations weren't all that high to begin with, so that won't be much of a problem for me.

He's having a difficult time but the 3rd goal is the only one you can really pin on him tonight. I'd like to know what all the haters are watching though right now. Is someone going to honestly say that he is the only reason the Devils are losing this game tonight? That second period was abysmal. The Rangers had all kinds of time and space and the Devils defensive coverage is pretty much non existent. So much running around. Its tough to watch.

News flash for those who do not have absolutely no idea about goaltending but are great at speaking from the rear. Its so obvious that Brodeur is not confident at the moment. Would you be with a new system, new players, etc? Every mistake he makes is magnified to the 1000th degree. Without Elias your asking a whole lot from this group of forwards to score consistently. The margin of error is so small. You didn't notice this much in the preseason because the teams were maybe playing 60 - 70% of their roster. Now the full teams are out there, speed and skill level has increased and this is the result. The Devils are making mistakes all over the ice, not just in goal.

The officiating has not helped either.

No need to talk like no one here is or has been a goalie. I was a goalie all the way through college (D2 Club) so I can feel for the guy, but the goals he is letting in are beyond terrible. While that third goal was certainly the worst of them, the others weren't much better. The first was a tough goal for him to deal with but for his whole career he has been considered the best ever with his rebound control. Where did that rebound go again? Oh right. The second goal? yeah that one was a straight on, unscreened, slapshot from ALES KOTALIK!!! I don't even want to think about that third one again. It looked vaugly like me when I didn't feel like working in practices.

Brodeur is great. He is a future HHOF'er, and there is no question about it but that doesn't except him from all the same criticisms that the rest of the league gets when his play warrents it.

Marty's play has been nothing short of embarresing, and I sincerly hope he knows it (though i'm starting to wonder if he does).

As far as the rest of this game goes, Zubrus was flying all night. I haven't seen him play a better game in his career and if a bounce here or a bounce there had gone his way I see no reason he shouldn't have had his name on the scoresheet atleast once tonight. Parise was back to his usualy self and if he plays like this all year he is going to end up with a season matching last if not surpassing it. Very nice pass by Clarkson otherwise a rather pedestrian night out of him. Murphy had another solid while not spectacular night. Other than those players I personally didn't see anything special out of anyone.

I'd hope you would give a little credit to realize that Elias isn't going to fix everything. I understand that. But his absence is certainly not helping things. Overall I can't say the forwards have been putrid but slot Elias into this lineup and tell me our chances of winning don't increase by a large margin. Its just way to early to be defending this team and decisions that were made. Let them get healthy and gel for a few games and if the sh*t still stinks after game 20 then we may have a problem. just saying.

Game 20 :blink: Thats 40 points :doh1:

Don't hang your hat on Elias making this team better. Waiting for an injured player to be the savior is a fallacy.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he was moved.

also lemaire is clearly experimenting with the team. he didn't match lines. he put pikkarainen out on the power play. i don't think he knows exactly what he has and stuff's being worked out on the fly.

Growing pains, this team will once again make the playoffs. Marty will be a top 10 goaltender in the league and all will be well. I think the 3rd line will be Bergfors-Zubrus-Pikkarainen once Elias comes back.

As far as the rest of this game goes, Zubrus was flying all night. I haven't seen him play a better game in his career and if a bounce here or a bounce there had gone his way I see no reason he shouldn't have had his name on the scoresheet atleast once tonight. Parise was back to his usualy self and if he plays like this all year he is going to end up with a season matching last if not surpassing it. Very nice pass by Clarkson otherwise a rather pedestrian night out of him. Murphy had another solid while not spectacular night. Other than those players I personally didn't see anything special out of anyone.

I thought Travis looked good too. And Niedermayer was decent.

Don't hang your hat on Elias making this team better. Waiting for an injured player to be the savior is a fallacy.

uh what. first, it's not a fallacy, it's the devils' 2nd best non-goalie, and most creative offensive player. second, elias has a no-movement clause and the devils are not moving him - unless you are just being unclear with your pronouns.

Where's Shanny when we need him on the PP he was so smart with the puck :evilcry:

That's one way to look at it.........

Yeah but everyone has already stated the Rangers will be awful this year.

Booooo!!! The Devils need to step up their game. I think if they crash the net and shoot more often they'll be more effective. At times they seem to try to make passes and make the play fancy when all you need to do is throw it on net. They definitely need to work on their PP and PK. Marty hasn't been looking like himself either. On the other hand Zajac's goal was set up very well and Zubrus has played pretty well the last two games if you ask me. The Peters-Pelley-Pikkarainen line didn't look hot tonight. I would rather see Halischuk play.

I thought Travis looked good too. And Niedermayer was decent.

True very true. Neidermayer was actually the second best on the team I thought, just forgot to mention him. Zajac was pretty good and the goal was nice, but that whole line had a hard time producing and what production they had was mostly all Parise so I didn't mention Zajac.

Niedermayer has been playing extremely well though. He had that BEAUTIFUL snipe shot over henriks shoulder for that goal in the first and he drew 2 of our powerplays with aggressive play. I am more than happy to say I was wrong when it comes to that signing.

That post was so wrong it was worth being quoted for all to see.

I'm willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt and won't really evaluate it in a serious way until after 20 games, but so far what I'm seeing is pretty discouraging. I would love nothing more than to be wrong and to admit Lou is a genius, but I am just not seeing it right now. It seems like this team is full of 3rd / 4th liners, and I just don't know if it's going to cut it, especially in our division. It's also not very comforting to see Brodeur struggle out of the gate. Let's wait and see, though.

uh what. first, it's not a fallacy, it's the devils' 2nd best non-goalie, and most creative offensive player. second, elias has a no-movement clause and the devils are not moving him - unless you are just being unclear with your pronouns.

Uh, you stating that elias is their second best player doesn't prove its a fallacy. You've simply stated that Elias is a key offensive player.

Waiting/hoping/praying that Elias will come back (whenever that is) is not sound thinking in my mind. I'd love for him to be in the lineup next game. It would be awesome. But he isn't and we don't know when he will be. The point is that you need to deal with what is here right now that is capable of contributing now.

A no movement doesn't mean it can't happen. I simply said I wouldn't be surprised.

I thought it was cool though. The guys are getting in the vicinity of position. Trying to get the pace up -- Sloppy as all get out -- but I like this method of getting up to speed ... I thought that was going to be the way last year but winning seemed more important at the time, I guess. I just think this is the only way forward. the team has to commit to playing.. I've been so frustrated with their sitting back on a half-assed system they've outgrown - that wasn't THE System... that was I dont even know -- or CARE what it was -- I'm just glad no one can scream about how Pando and Madden have to be paired together like they all were last year :yucky:

I'm not fond of the term "better team" I think it's a misnomer for the most part. This team has to allow themselves space to learn to play before they try to be the "better team" You can paste together a winning season scraping through wins because your proving you're the better team throughout the season -- but you can't really kick ass until you know how to put it all together - to become one with the flow of things.

They're now flowing - they just have no control over the rudder - but they can feel the space and sense things a little more. You see them eff up second guessing instead of trusting..but I can feeling them recognize what SHOULD be. Lose because you're making progress I guess is all I'm saying. and That's what I saw tonight in many instances. You'll also see who has to go, who cannot and will not see it. Or someone who will bend things to suit them rather than let go and all i can say is free up and play hockey. the team has been bearing down and pinching out these lameass number one finishing seasons rather than focussing on preparing for the playoffs. I guess out of insecurity and lack of trust in themselves - the team the game. :noclue:

I hope Marty doesn't get frustrated -- I think he could have a lot of fun fighting back up - it's a new goal. if he gives up I have this feeling that he'll find out he had TONS more to give - and in a whole new cool way. It's just not his time yet so I wish people would shut up even :blahblah: He's on the cusp of a new level, not retirement.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Other then him stating he wouldn't be surprised if Elias was moved, what's wrong with what he said? If you're asking one player to come back and be a savior, you have deeper problems as a team.

Edited by SJP20

My thoughts:

brodeur has become way to comfy and smug with himself. I hope he sits a lot more this year, he clearly is struggling right now. The worst part: the whole team is feeding off that negativity. Guys are botching passes, and I think paul martin has taken the puck deep more times in this game than he did the entire last two seasons. Give it up Paul, you're not Niedermayer. Just looks like a sign that each guy wants to beat the other team on his own... (shudder.., didn't we say that about the rangers a short while ago?)

Secondly, Elias is a wing, and because there is nothing in the depth department, he's gonna be a poor man's center. Great..., that is really going to help our faceoff percentage. From what I saw tonight, the devils were tormented on dot. Madden anyone?

they looked like a poorly coached, unmotivated team out there. Even parise played like sh!t. You gotta wonder, Jacques hasn't had any success in Minn for a while, and this team isn't too much more talented than they are (now that we jettisoned a number of solid guys...).

mottau has way overstayed his welcome... jeez, matvichuk and lukowich would look real good back there now...

Edited by CaptainScotty

No point in sounding the alarm just yet, but there are a lot of problems right now. Hopefully they can all be sorted out when Patty comes back...

Boy...Gilroy was a nice signing by the Rangers. He immediately gives them what they thought they were getting in Wade Redden.

What part do you think is wrong (hint, make sure you understand what NMC means before answering)?

Stating that to wait for an injured player to come back and everything will be ok is a fallacy

or

I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved?

Elias, no Elias, it doesn't matter. This team will not finish any higher than 7th in the conference. There's a fourth line that consists of players, not one of whom belongs in the NHL. Cory Murphy is an absolute joke. Zubrus (sorry Triumph) and Rolston have been unmitigated disasters since they've gotten here. Marty's on the downside of his career without a credible NHL caliber replacement in sight. Lemaire is a fossil who can't even manage to field a disciplined team. The farm system is absolutely bare. All we can hope for is that Lou doesn't let his ego get the better of him by trading Parise for someone like Dustin Penner.

And for all of those "Rangers suck" chants, our best and only half-way decent defenseman (Martin) would be the fourth or fifth best on the Rangers. (Behind Staal, Gilroy, Del Zotto and Girardi).

Gonna a be a long season.

Completely agree -- yeah and shoot i think the guys dont know what they have! That was what I meant -- I mean when it's all open like this you can really see who just hasn't a clue what they're doing out there. We'll see who really IS a 4th liner in 2nd line breezers :P I really like this part of hockey. It's the way you build a dynasty too IMO. That's really the point here.

Elias's leadership will be nice to get back. To em that's what he's got to offer -- help build trust and vision. Not come in and save the day sniping or something :wacko:

jesus this thread is panicky. are you sure your handle shouldn't be al, daniel, as in al trautwig, as only he would contend that daniel girardi, matt gilroy, or michael del zotto are better than paul martin? like - honestly? these guys are going to make a ton of mistakes, they already do, the devils were not able to capitalize on them, but they gamble a ton and get caught out of position.

Guys are botching passes, and I think paul martin has taken the puck deep more times in this game than he did the entire last two seasons. Give it up Paul, you're not Niedermayer. Just looks like a sign that each guy wants to beat the other team on his own... (shudder.., didn't we say that about the rangers a short while ago?)"

this is clearly a mandate from the coaching staff that our defense, instead of just standing around at the blueline, should actually get involved in the play. does paul martin look good doing it? no, not yet, but give it time.