Golf, rugby added for 2016 and 2020

eaglejelly

My link

Rugby I understand, but Golf just doesn't belong in the Olympics. What's next, shuffle board?

I'm curious to know if you have ever played or have even tried to swing a club at a little round ball,I mean how hard can it be? Right? The way I got it figured is if they let ping pong into the olympics then what could it hurt letting golf in.

I'm curious to know if you have ever played or have even tried to swing a club at a little round ball,I mean how hard can it be? Right? The way I got it figured is if they let ping pong into the olympics then what could it hurt letting golf in.

I'm not saying golf is easy. It's a great sport I get to play every once in a while and I am not very good at it. To be good at darts or pool reqires a high skill level as well, but they shouldn't be Olympic sports either. You can play golf at a high level at an older age because it is not a very athletic sport. Ping pong, to stay with your example, is a very athletic sport and for a Ping pong player an Olympic medal is the greatest feat. For a golf player the Olympics will never be as important as the masters for example.

edit I forgot a "not"

Edited by eaglejelly

I'm saying golf is easy. It's a great sport I get to play every once in a while and I am not very good at it. To be good at darts or pool reqires a high skill level as well, but they shouldn't be Olympic sports either. You can play golf at a high level at an older age because it is not a very athletic sport. Ping pong, to stay with your example, is a very athletic sport and for a Ping pong player an Olympic medal is the greatest feat. For a golf player the Olympics will never be as important as the masters for example.

I understand your point and I used to hold that same view before I took up the game, i guess now I am biased because I understand how hard the game is. Do you have to be athletic? No,but it helps and the hand-eye coordination needed to play at the highest levels is incredible. Alot of other sports that some would consider more athletic had players that were not classic athletes, one that comes to mind is Babe Ruth.You have a good point re: olympics vs. the masters

Edited by Guest