Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martyisth3b3st

2010 YANKEES HOT-STOVE THREAD

153 posts in this topic

It's a small sample size but Figgins is horrible defensively in LF, -17.7 UZR/150. Going over his numbers the only position where he is a plus defender is 3rd base which obviously wouldn't work in NY. The most games he played in LF in a year were 16 in 2006. I don't think he is going to be worth the contract he gets or the compensation you'd have to give up to sign him, nor is he a viable option to replace Damon.

Cameron is a better choice than Figgins since he is still a plus defender and is doing it at a harder position CF (career UZR/150 5.7). He'd also come cheaper and would require less compensation.

Edit: While checking out the latest blog entries on fangraphs I found this article on why Cameron is a better option than Bay but will get overlooked.

I agree that Cameron is a good player that will probably come at a great price, but I don't think that he is the player that the Yankees would need. Looking at his stats, he is pretty much the exact same player as Nick Swisher, in that he never hits over .260 and hits around 25 HRs. Plus Cameron is 36-37 years old. I just don't think that the Yanks need another guy in the line-up whose only job is to hit home-runs, especially one who doesn't hit for average. I would like add more speed to their game, and I think Figgins could be an option. Yeah, he's not a real replacement for Damon (I'd actually like them to re-sign Johnny) in that he won't hit for nearly as much power, but Cameron wouldn't get on base as much.

As far as defense goes, I haven't seen Cameron much, and he probably is a better defender than Chone. I still hold to my other point that Figgins would bring more to the team than Cameron, should the Yanks not re-sign Damon.

As I said earlier though, I think this argument is moot. I don't think the Yanks will be nearly as big of players as most people seem to think they will be this off-season.

I agree that Cameron is a good player that will probably come at a great price, but I don't think that he is the player that the Yankees would need. Looking at his stats, he is pretty much the exact same player as Nick Swisher, in that he never hits over .260 and hits around 25 HRs. Plus Cameron is 36-37 years old. I just don't think that the Yanks need another guy in the line-up whose only job is to hit home-runs, especially one who doesn't hit for average. I would like add more speed to their game, and I think Figgins could be an option. Yeah, he's not a real replacement for Damon (I'd actually like them to re-sign Johnny) in that he won't hit for nearly as much power, but Cameron wouldn't get on base as much.

As far as defense goes, I haven't seen Cameron much, and he probably is a better defender than Chone. I still hold to my other point that Figgins would bring more to the team than Cameron, should the Yanks not re-sign Damon.

As I said earlier though, I think this argument is moot. I don't think the Yanks will be nearly as big of players as most people seem to think they will be this off-season.

I'm on the record being fine with them either signing Holliday or re-upping Damon, but if they don't do either of those I really think they should look into a guy like Cameron, especially over Figgins.

Cameron's addition to the line up would not be to hit home runs but to provide plus defense in the outfield. While his offensive skill set is similar to Swisher's his real value is adding quality defense to a team that could use the upgrade there plus he isn't going to be a liability offensively. Also Cameron has a better offensive track record for his career in comparison to Figgins and they were very close in offensive production last year.

Cameron 09: 111 OPS+ .346 wOBA 84 wRC

Figgins 09: 108 OPS+ .358 wOBA 82.8 wRC

Number wise I'd give Figgins a slight edge offensively but defensively he takes away from his value while Cameron adds to his value since were talking about adding to the outfield.

With Cameron being underrated I don't think you have to worry about age since you could probably get him on a short deal. I understand the point on the speed aspect Figgins brings but I'm not really big on the running game being as crucial as people think it is. Figgins is a helluva player but I just don't see a role for him that would fit the contract they'd have to give him.

This argument is moot but I'm bored and the offseason is a bit from heating up so I felt the need to respond.

What about Nick Johnson? Just throwing a name around.

Imagine, just for fun, they don't re-sign Damon and Matsui; and instead upgrade to Matt Holliday and Nick Johnson.

Jeter

Johnson

Tex

A-Rod

Holliday (most dangerous 3-4-5 in the history of baseball, much?)

Cano

Posada

Swisher

(Melkey/Gardner/AJax)

that's... fun to type. Heh.

Johnson is certainly an interesting option and I always liked him from his Yankee days. I'm honestly not sure what the best option is for a DH for the Yankees since I've been so focused on LF lately. I'd like to here what other people have to say about him. If they don't bring back Matsui he is definitely a guy I can see them going at.

Johnson is certainly an interesting option and I always liked him from his Yankee days. I'm honestly not sure what the best option is for a DH for the Yankees since I've been so focused on LF lately. I'd like to here what other people have to say about him. If they don't bring back Matsui he is definitely a guy I can see them going at.

if he's only gonna play part time then fine since it would limit the impact of him getting injured again and while the yankees want to use the DH for off days for older players, they do need an most-day guy so why not Nick?

Nick Johnson is an on-base machine; .414 OBP last year, .402 OBP career. He doesn't have too much HR-power but I could see him hitting 15-20 HR from playing in Yankees Stadium for ~81 games.

If I were NYY I would try to land Dunn for a package built around Gardner and Cabrera (although I'm not sure Washington would want more outfielders), theres your DH, and then sign Mike Cameron to play CF for 1 year. That does leave LF open, but at the point you could probably just resign Damon or make a trade for DeJesus... or just sign Holliday.

Edited by nmigliore

(edit: double post)

Edited by nmigliore

Nick Johnson is an on-base machine; .414 OBP last year, .402 OBP career. He doesn't have too much HR-power but I could see him hitting 15-20 HR from playing in Yankees Stadium for ~81 games.

If I were NYY I would try to land Dunn for a package built around Gardner and Cabrera (although I'm not sure Washington would want more outfielders), theres your DH, and then sign Mike Cameron to play CF for 1 year. That does leave LF open, but at the point you could probably just resign Damon or make a trade for DeJesus... or just sign Holliday.

I'd be fine with Dunn since he's only got one year left on the deal with the Natties but do they want Melky for him? But I guess they couldn't get much more than a 4th outfielder type for a rental of a decent player who could be lethal at Yankee Stadium. And about LF, they'll most likely bring Damon back and then see what's what after that. But please don't get Holliday, I'm just scared to death of him in the AL with a huge contract

But please don't get Holliday, I'm just scared to death of him in the AL with a huge contract

That's silly. Playing for Oakland is a lot different than playing for the Yankees. He had no protection whatsoever in Oakland. He was on fire with the Cards because of the protection in the lineup.

I dont want him to get an A-Rod or Tex like length of a deal (Thats reserved for Joe Mauer next year), but 6-7 would be fine. I dont care about money when it comes to the Yankees lol. Its not like a hockey deal.

That's silly. Playing for Oakland is a lot different than playing for the Yankees. He had no protection whatsoever in Oakland. He was on fire with the Cards because of the protection in the lineup.

protection's overrated. I just don't think Matt Holliday is worthy of what he'll get and might be another Giambi, productive at first, but then just taking up space toward the end of the contract

in depth study of protection

And it's not the money I'm worried about with the huge contract, it's him not having as good a year, though his worst production came in the first half of his contract year with Oakland

I dont want him to get an A-Rod or Tex like length of a deal (Thats reserved for Joe Mauer next year), but 6-7 would be fine. I dont care about money when it comes to the Yankees lol. Its not like a hockey deal.

I would be willing to bet alot of money-- a lot-- that Mauer will never be anywhere close to a Free Agent.

I would be willing to bet alot of money-- a lot-- that Mauer will never be anywhere close to a Free Agent.

I'd like Nick Johnson, a good value there. He could be a nice piece as a DH/part-time 1B (when giving Tex a day off). He is not an true outfielder though.

If Dunn were a FA, I would consider him, but as far as trading Gardner or Melky for him, NO. He is only valuable on a team that has no HR threat, and that is certainly not the Yankees.

If Dunn were a FA, I would consider him, but as far as trading Gardner or Melky for him, NO. He is only valuable on a team that has no HR threat, and that is certainly not the Yankees.

He also gets on base at a pretty high rate too, that's quite important. And replacing Cabrera with Cameron is an instant upgrade in CF. But I think a lot of that may depend on how Yankees fans feel about Austin Jackson as their future CF'er.

I'd be on board with them trading Melky + for Dunn to be the DH and then signing Cameron for CF. That's a solid upgrade at DH and CF.

Forgot about it until today but Damon is a Boras client - may be very hard to get him on a short deal.

I'd be on board with them trading Melky + for Dunn to be the DH and then signing Cameron for CF. That's a solid upgrade at DH and CF.

Forgot about it until today but Damon is a Boras client - may be very hard to get him on a short deal.

I wouldn't worry about that. I forget where, but I thought I heard Johnny say that he wants to be on a winner first-and-foremost, even if it means sacrificing years.

Courtesy MLB Trade Rumors:

"Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the Yankees have interest in retaining both Damon and Matsui to one-year deals. In another article, Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the World Champions will try to re-sign both players, plus Andy Pettitte. The Yankees are intent on retaining all their own free agents, then are planning on acquiring Matt Holliday, Jason Bay and John Lackey."

Courtesy MLB Trade Rumors:

"Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the Yankees have interest in retaining both Damon and Matsui to one-year deals. In another article, Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the World Champions will try to re-sign both players, plus Andy Pettitte. The Yankees are intent on retaining all their own free agents, then are planning on acquiring Matt Holliday, Jason Bay and John Lackey."

:blink: That's ambitious.

Are you sure it's "and" John Lackey? If they ever re-signed Damon, Matsui, and Pettite and added Holliday, Bay, AND Lackey, I I don't think 120+ wins would be out of the question... I can't even think of what our lineup would look like...

1. Jeter (SS)

2. Damon (DH)

3. Tex (1B)

4. A-Rod (3B)

5. Holliday (LF)

6. Bay (RF)

7. Posada ©

8. Cano (2B)

9. Melkey (CF)

?

:blink:

I don't see them adding both Holliday and Bay despite what happens with Damon and Matsui. Adding Holliday won't surprise me, adding Bay would shock me.

Report that the Yankees re-signed Brian Bruney, 1 year, mandatory 20% raise to 1.5 m.

I don't see them adding both Holliday and Bay despite what happens with Damon and Matsui. Adding Holliday won't surprise me, adding Bay would shock me.

the only reason they'd add bay is to go against the Red Sox, but he hit something like .270 and was a well below average LF. I'd rather have Holliday, and as previously stated am not his biggest fan. Let's bring back Johnny hopefully on a one or two year deal and see where he goes and spend our money on Joe Mauer next year (assuming he hits the market) because as Cash and Hal have said there is some kind of budget and Cash had to twist Hal's arm to sign Tex last year, so let's just wait for next year and stay with Damon

Report that the Yankees re-signed Brian Bruney, 1 year, mandatory 20% raise to 1.5 m.

Servicable and a move I can't complain about or praise.

Id love it for the Yankees to give the middle finger to everyone and get Holliday, Bay, and Lackey :yea: They can still get Mauer for chrissakes. There is no salary cap and the Yankees just dont care, nor should they. Bay is a good pickup and is an upgrade in right or left.

I dont believe Cash and Hal about the "budget" in any way shape or form. I think they say that to save a "little bit" of face. You dont pass up the best catcher in the game.

The Evil Empire hath returned!

DH Damon

SS Jeter

1B Tex

SS A-Rod

LF/RF Holliday

RF/LF Bay

C Posada

2B Cano

CF Gardner

Bench:

Swish, Matsui, Thatguy, Thatotherguy, Melky

P CC

P AJ

P Lackeykins

P Pettitte

P Joba/Hughes/Wang/Whosyodaddy?

That is too nasty to pass up and next year, slip Mauer into Posada's spot and swap him with Holliday or Tex in the lineup w/ Posada off the bench. Boo yowwwwwwww.

Edited by ghdi

I don't see he purpose in signing Bay. Once his offense slips and his defense just gets even more atrocious he isn't going to be a good player during the final years of that contract. Bay was worth a half win more than Damon last year and that was the first time since 2006 he was worth more than Damon. I hope they go after Holliday who is the far superior player or go at Cameron or bring back Damon. I don't think they should just spend money for the sake of spending it. I'm very interested in seeing if they can swing a deal for Dunn for something centered around Cabrera. He'd be a helluva DH. I wouldn't mind an outfield of Holliday in LF, Cameron in CF, Swisher in RF, with Gardner backing up.

I've read some interesting stuff on why they shouldn't sign Lackey due to the stronger free agent pitching class next year, but I just think that when you have a team capable of repeating and could use another solid starter, you should sign a guy like him.

This is just my opinion but I just think the Twins are going to lock up Mauer.

I know the Yankees have no problem opening their wallets but you guys are crazy if you think you are getting Holliday and Bay, let alone that whole trio of Holliday, Bay, and Lackey. Plus that one quote doesn't even make sense -- if the Yankees resigned Damon (LF), Matsui (DH), and Pettitte, where do Bay and Holliday fit?

They would have a hell of a team again next year if they acquired Dunn to be their DH and then stuck Cameron in CF. I'm not sure what the Yankees plan to do with Joba and Hughes but they should probably look to add a durable starter at the back of the rotation too.

And yeah the free agent starting pitcher class next year is a lot better than what it is this year. That's why I'll be alright if my Mets don't pursue Lackey.

Edited by nmigliore