Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martyisth3b3st

2010 YANKEES HOT-STOVE THREAD

153 posts in this topic

the yankees don't have to sign lackey, but they've gotta bring in somebody to be the 4th starter if joba/hughes can't get it done next year. somebody like Randy Wolf/Erik Bedard though Bedard will probably get a lot, so maybe even lower (it is just the 4th starter and they just won without one) like Duchsherer, Washburn or even Marquis. Pavano's around them too, but ya know, I'd rather have them give a 10 year $300 million contract to Rich Harden than bring him back

I know the Yankees have no problem opening their wallets but you guys are crazy if you think you are getting Holliday and Bay, let alone that whole trio of Holliday, Bay, and Lackey. Plus that one quote doesn't even make sense -- if the Yankees resigned Damon (LF), Matsui (DH), and Pettitte, where do Bay and Holliday fit?

They would have a hell of a team again next year if they acquired Dunn to be their DH and then stuck Cameron in CF. I'm not sure what the Yankees plan to do with Joba and Hughes but they should probably look to add a durable starter at the back of the rotation too.

And yeah the free agent starting pitcher class next year is a lot better than what it is this year. That's why I'll be alright if my Mets don't pursue Lackey.

Never once did I say I expected them too, I questioned whether the article misspoke... nobody's expecting even just one of them, let alone 3.

Red Sox want Hideki Matsui

I really hope this is nothing more than a rumor. I would cringe watching our WS MVP in a Sox uniform.

Edited by nyrsuck26

Red Sox want Hideki Matsui

I really hope this is nothing more than a rumor. I would cringe watching our WS MVP in a Sox uniform.

It's so hard to tell whats bs and whats not. As fans all we can do is speculate and since I'm bored I'm going to speculate that the Red Sox are just trying to drive up his price/length to make it harder for the Yankees to retain him if Cashman even wants to.

If Matsui went to the Sox, I can honestly say that would hurt the least of any Yankee leaving in recent memory and to the Sox its almost negligible to me because of the player. Its basically a slap in the face, but it still doesnt match to us getting Wade Boggs a ring and bringing Johnny Damon over, and basically ripping Tex right out of their hands, Clemens winning with the Yankees, etc. Matsui is on a downcline, despite his accomplishments in the post. He's reguarly hurt and if he left, it just doesn't hurt as much as other players would. I would rather see him on the team or go to Seattle.

Matt Holliday needs to be a Yankee. A-Rod being protected by Tex and Holliday for the next 4-5 years AT LEAST. They're all in their primes.

Damon DH

Jeter SS

Tex 1B

A-Rod 3B

Holliday LF

Posada C

THAT will re-define "Murderer's Row" (1927 - 1st 6 hitters) for the first few years, although the 27 will forever have that title.

How would people feel if Damon went back to the Sox? I'd rather keep Damon than Matsui.

Edited by ghdi

How would people feel if Damon went back to the Sox? I'd rather keep Damon than Matsui.

I agree that losing Damon would be a bigger loss, but quite frankly, I don't want to lose anyone to the Sox.

Edited by nyrsuck26

I don't know why the Red Sox would have any interest in Matsui; he's a DH, the Red Sox aren't going to pay for 2 DH's when they already have Ortiz (even though hes coming off a down year: 0.7 WAR).

Whats even funnier was this quote: "Boston is reportedly considering Matsui as an alternative to Jason Bay. According to an insider quoted in Nikkan Sports, the BoSox are preparing a multi-year offer for Matsui to be the team’s regular left fielder." - multi year offer to be their regular left fielder, lol?

Seems like they are just trying to drive up his price.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't know why the Red Sox would have any interest in Matsui; he's a DH, the Red Sox aren't going to pay for 2 DH's when they already have Ortiz (even though hes coming off a down year: 0.7 WAR).

Whats even funnier was this quote: "Boston is reportedly considering Matsui as an alternative to Jason Bay. According to an insider quoted in Nikkan Sports, the BoSox are preparing a multi-year offer for Matsui to be the team’s regular left fielder." - multi year offer to be their regular left fielder, lol?

Seems like they are just trying to drive up his price.

I guess if he could play back in the field anywhere, it would be at Fenway, but that has trainwreck written all over it

Edited by DH26

What are y'all's thoughts on Aroldis Chapman?

I'm indifferent. Sure he has a lot of upside but there also seems to be a lot of concerns about his character. He's going to costs a lot and maybe he'll be great or maybe he won't make it. If they sign him I'll be happy that they added another prospect with a high ceiling but if they don't sign him I'll be fine as well.

yankees after Granderson?

what about trying to trade for an in his prime CF and then dealing one of the Melky/Gardner combination? Would you be willing to trade AJax for Granderson, the sure thing who we already know is very good. I'd do it if for no other reason than AJax in the best possible scenario is Granderson

I'm indifferent. Sure he has a lot of upside but there also seems to be a lot of concerns about his character. He's going to costs a lot and maybe he'll be great or maybe he won't make it. If they sign him I'll be happy that they added another prospect with a high ceiling but if they don't sign him I'll be fine as well.

Hes not worth $40-60M, in my opinion. In fact I think hes pretty over-hyped, and to call him the left-handed Strasburg is good for a laugh (someone on ESPN called him that). His 100 mph fastball is inconsistent, probably because of poor mechanics. He also has poor control and supposedly is a bit of a hot head. I remember reading some scouts believe he might he end up a reliever if his secondary offerings don't improve, and of course there is always the possibility hes older than his said age (21).

Edited by nmigliore

what about trying to trade for an in his prime CF and then dealing one of the Melky/Gardner combination? Would you be willing to trade AJax for Granderson, the sure thing who we already know is very good. I'd do it if for no other reason than AJax in the best possible scenario is Granderson

I just heard Tony Paige touch on Yanks interest in Granderson last night. Not really sure how I feel about it.

Young (allegedly), southpaw who throws 100mph (allegedly), why not? You gotta take risks if you're gonna try to compete while getting younger.

Edited by nyrsuck26

I'd rather sign Holliday for LF and sign Cameron for CF and save prospects/depth in the process. I'd also try to trade Cabrera and something else for Dunn for DH. I'm not as big on Granderson as others....he can't hit lefties well (.614 career OPS, .484 OPS last year) compared to Cameron who has more even splits against lefty/righty match-ups (.859 Career OPS against lefties/.765 Career OPS against righties). Granderson is a career 4.9 UZR/150 in CF compared to Cameron's 5.7 UZR/150. Granderson had a WAR of 7.2 over the past two years, Cameron 8.3. Both respectable and there could be some upside to be reached with Granderson but I'd rather sign the more reliable Cameron and not have to shell out any players in the process.

Just a small rumor but I figured I'd pass it along here...Yankees interested in Johnson as fallback option?

Johnson, 31, also has heard from the Giants, Mets and even the Yankees, who view him as a potential fallback at designated hitter if they lose both Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui, major-league sources say.

From the same article, free agent executive Kevin Towers interested in Yankees?

"Cash is certainly a good friend of mine, somebody I've got a great deal of respect for," Towers says. "There is nothing done by any means. But if Brian Cashman had interest in my services, he's somebody I'd listen to."
Edited by thefiestygoat

There are going to be a ton of articles about the Yankees and Red Sox and Halladay until he actually gets traded. Just for fun what would you be willing to give up to acquire him and what do you think it would take to do it?

I'd be willing to go with Joba + Jackson + 2 other prospects though I'm not sure what other prospects would be needed to complete the deal. I would not give up Montero though. I also wouldn't give up both Hughes and Joba in the same deal.

There are going to be a ton of articles about the Yankees and Red Sox and Halladay until he actually gets traded. Just for fun what would you be willing to give up to acquire him and what do you think it would take to do it?

I'd be willing to go with Joba + Jackson + 2 other prospects though I'm not sure what other prospects would be needed to complete the deal. I would not give up Montero though. I also wouldn't give up both Hughes and Joba in the same deal.

As awesome as Halladay is (I think he is the best pitcher in baseball), I don't wanna give up too many prospects. This team is old enough.

As awesome as Halladay is (I think he is the best pitcher in baseball), I don't wanna give up too many prospects. This team is old enough.

I'd be willing to give up any prospect but Montero since the hole at catcher is going to be there and worst case scenario he fills the spot at DH. If you have to give up one pitcher (Joba or Phil not both) and Jackson along with someone like maybe Romine or someone a little lower you have to do it

I'd be willing to give up any prospect but Montero since the hole at catcher is going to be there and worst case scenario he fills the spot at DH. If you have to give up one pitcher (Joba or Phil not both) and Jackson along with someone like maybe Romine or someone a little lower you have to do it

With Joe Mauer hitting free agency next season, Montero may very well be expendable this time next year. As for Halladay, we get involved only if the Sox are and at the very least drive their price up even more insane. This new GM in Toronto will want to make a statement sooner rather than later, and moving Halladay will easily do that.

I'd be willing to consider the risk of trading Montero right now provided it ensures we get Halladay and we dont lose too much else in the process. Jackson and Montero is too high of a cost, but one or the other + a Hughes or Joba (again, one or the other) is something to consider. While Mauer is no guarantee, having Roy Halladay at the cost of a catching prospect is a not too hard to swallow as competent catching, at the very least, can be found.

A viable alternative to Roy, and definitely cheaper, may be to deal w/ the Marlins and get Josh Johnson from them.

Edited by ghdi

With Joe Mauer hitting free agency next season, Montero may very well be expendable this time next year. As for Halladay, we get involved only if the Sox are and at the very least drive their price up even more insane. This new GM in Toronto will want to make a statement sooner rather than later, and moving Halladay will easily do that.

I'd be willing to consider the risk of trading Montero right now provided it ensures we get Halladay and we dont lose too much else in the process. Jackson and Montero is too high of a cost, but one or the other + a Hughes or Joba (again, one or the other) is something to consider. While Mauer is no guarantee, having Roy Halladay at the cost of a catching prospect is a not too hard to swallow as competent catching, at the very least, can be found.

A viable alternative to Roy, and definitely cheaper, may be to deal w/ the Marlins and get Josh Johnson from them.

This is what I think they'll do. I doubt that they actually pull the trigger on any Halladay trade. He will be far too expensive (prospect-wise, we all know that salary means nothing to the Yankees).

The Yankees don't have to break the bank this offseason. They should try to win as much as possible, of course, but they need to start making room for a new generation to come in. After all, they want to be good not only next year, but in every season after that as well.

Your alternative is intriguing. Would Florida be willing to part with Johnson?

Id rather trade for Roy than sign Lackey.

After Brandon Lyon apparently, definitely fills a need. I'm most interested in seeing what they're doing to the rotation than anything else. Id like to see a splash like Holliday and bring Damon back, but I dont care about Lackey.

Your alternative is intriguing. Would Florida be willing to part with Johnson?

He's rumored to be available "according to sources". I read it before Thanksgiving on MLBTraderumors. Didn't mention any teams expressing interest, but I could see it a viable opportunity if its true.

Id rather trade for Roy than sign Lackey.

I don't know it'd be a toss up for me. Halladay's definitely better but would you rather have Doc, Phil and AJax or Lackey, Joba, Phil, Montero and AJax. I might take the second one. (I just assumed they'd trade Jesus and be willing to since they have Romine in the minors too)

I don't know it'd be a toss up for me. Halladay's definitely better but would you rather have Doc, Phil and AJax or Lackey, Joba, Phil, Montero and AJax. I might take the second one. (I just assumed they'd trade Jesus and be willing to since they have Romine in the minors too)

I dont think the cost will be that high. With Roy setting a deadline, it only gets that high if it gets pushed there and I think it'd fall apart before either the Sox or Yankees pushed it to that point or pulled the trigger really. Realistically, those are probably the only two teams that can truly play, as Roy needs pay just the same.

I think it can get done without Joba or Hughes in the mix. I think the Jays could be talked down to someone like Kennedy or maybe Betances. I have no idea really. Im also not adverse to seeing one of those two (Phil/Joba) gone in a deal for Roy Halladay. Just having CC and Roy on the same rotation is deadlier than necessary probably lol.