Will Scott Niedermayer wind up back with NJ Devils this season?

msweet

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/11/will_scott_niedermayer_wind_up.html

"I think it's a possibility," Niedermayer said of being traded by theDucks at some point this season. "Last year we were kind of a in asituation where we were teetering and there was some talk and rumors.You start to think about it.

Nieder signed a one-year, $6 million contract with the Ducks this summer and it does not include a no-trade clause.

"If the team came to me, they'd be free to do what they wanted. Idon't have a no-trade," Niedermayer said. "We're still a ways fromthere.

"It was a tough summer for him, how long he went without a job. Ithought (the Devils) would be great for him. Good organization, goodhockey club that is going to win more than its share of games. I knewhe'd fit in with Jacques, too."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take back Scott Niedermayer in a heartbeat. Always liked him and always will. Maybe by the TDL he will be traded to New Jersey, then Lou signs him for one or two more years, then his #27 gets retired and put up into the rafters right next to Stevens and Daneyko where it belongs.

Edited by SatansDevils

Considering Anaheim's rather lackluster start to the season and the competitive division, not to mention conference they play in, i wouldn't be suprised in the least if Scott came back here to play with his brother and have another shot at the cup with a team that can actually compete.

It all makes too much sense really, his brother is here, we are an all-star defenseman away from being close to/if not the best team in the Eastern conference in my opinion. Plus he has a history with the organization, with Jacques and some of the players.

I'd honestly be suprised if he isn't wearing Devil Red by the end of trade deadline day, maybe even sooner.

Also :

Niedermayer-Martin

Oduya-White

Salvador-Greene/Mottau

Yes, YES, A MILLION TIMES YES!

Edited by EuroDev

I think Nieds would want to come back to NJ at the deadline if Anaheim is struggling. I have very little doubt about it. Problem is that Anaheim would want something substantial in return and I'm not sure if it's worth it. If Lou got a guarantee from Scott that he would re-sign in the offseason, then it becomes a lot more attractive. However, solely as a playoff rental, I wouldn't give up much for him.

Just curious:

What makes any of you guys so sure he'd want to come back here other than his brother?

He's won EVERYTHING.

He basically calls all his own shots with the Ducks in ANA and is closer to his family. The team and GM destroyed itself contractually waiting for him to make a decision about playing.

Clearly, Its his team. He has freedoms and privledge there that he could not be afforded on other teams.

Would he want to come back to the structure and restriction (especially off ice) that comes with being a hockey player in this franchise?

I've watched almost every Ducks game, and sorry to say it, Neids has lost a few steps these past couple of seasons. He is also suffering from not having a consistent partner.

Carlisle is over-using him at near 30 minutes a night - he'll be spent by March.

I think many here are envisioning Scotty 06-07 with the Ducks - or even earlier.

Its clear that he's in this for the Olympics and thats fine.

Having said that, I'm not discounting his natural skill, even a 75% Scotty is better than a lot out there - but I wouldn't give up the farm for him.

i wish niedermayer hadn't put this thought into everyone's head, because it's a serious longshot.

i don't really think niedermayer plays beyond this season, so i really don't think this whole 'his team' business is a concern. if the ducks are out of it and lou comes calling, i don't think the ducks or scott will say no. that said, scott niedermayer is not the same player he used to be by any stretch. if greene continues at his current rate i'd consider dealing oduya for niedermayer + low round pick, but if it's about the young players the devils probably have to say no.

Edited by Triumph

i wish niedermayer hadn't put this thought into everyone's head, because it's a serious longshot.

To be fair, it's not as much of a longshot as you are trying to say it is. Nied's comment was pretty cut and dry - he sees a trade happening if Anaheim is not in playoff position. And if NJ comes calling, I'm pretty sure he would come here over any other team in the league, especially since Rob is also here.

Now, the one thing you're right about is that he is not worth much as a rental player.

To be fair, it's not as much of a longshot as you are trying to say it is. Nied's comment was pretty cut and dry - he sees a trade happening if Anaheim is not in playoff position. And if NJ comes calling, I'm pretty sure he would come here over any other team in the league, especially since Rob is also here.

True, to a point - but Niedermayer doesn't have a no-trade clause. He doesn't get a definitive say in where he is traded, if he is traded. The Ducks can take the best offer and send him packing.

That being said, you would think that, by this time, management would get some input from him and would be sure not to send him to, say, the Rangers without his approval.

Now, the one thing you're right about is that he is not worth much as a rental player.

Not for what rental players go for close to the deadline. Niedermayer at the deadline is sure to fetch a nice return from a playoff-hopeful team. If a team like the Kings wants to make a big push, they've got prospects to spare and could significantly improve their D-corps for the stretch run.

Not for what rental players go for close to the deadline. Niedermayer at the deadline is sure to fetch a nice return from a playoff-hopeful team. If a team like the Kings wants to make a big push, they've got prospects to spare and could significantly improve their D-corps for the stretch run.

I've been noticing that there have been more "that's all they had to give up to get that guy" deals at the deadline lately. Teams have a way of overplaying their hands and not getting as much as return as they think they will.

It's hard to assess what Nieds would bring back at the deadline, as there's so many games yet to be played. But I get the feeling it's not going to take that much to get him.

Unless he comes reasonably cheap, I'd say no to this. I liked Niedermayer, and it was rough to lose him, but is it really worth giving up a significant younger guy now to get an older, slower Niedermayer for the playoff run? Especially since there's no guarantee he'll sign or even play next season. Of course I'd like to stick Niedermayer into our D corps, but I just don't know if it would be a good thing for the franchise at this point, unless we can somehow get him for just picks.

Unless he comes reasonably cheap, I'd say no to this. I liked Niedermayer, and it was rough to lose him, but is it really worth giving up a significant younger guy now to get an older, slower Niedermayer for the playoff run? Especially since there's no guarantee he'll sign or even play next season. Of course I'd like to stick Niedermayer into our D corps, but I just don't know if it would be a good thing for the franchise at this point, unless we can somehow get him for just picks.

If he can be brought in without losing a key player, it is worth exploring. ESPECIALLY, if he tells Lou ahead of time that he will resign for at least one more year. He is obviously not as good as he was in 03, but he would still be the 2nd best defenseman on the team at worst to Paul Martin....Bring back #27!

Hopefully he comes here and wins a cup with Rob, and I'm guessing that would be the first time a set of brothers won the cup with 2 different teams?

I'd definitely like to see him back, and finish his career where he started, and with his brother. If I'm not mistaken, he left new jersey for less money to play for the ducks right? He had an honorable discharge, and is welcome here, as far as I'm concerned, as long as he likes to stay.

And on an unrelated note:

If we retire #27 (which I vote yes for) Then we should retire #18 as well.