Janne Ojanen

sundstrom

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/janne_ojanen_becomes_finnish_leagues_all-time_leading_scorer/#When:20:42:59Z

HE BECAME THE ALL TIME LEADING SCORER IN THE FINNISH LEAGUE.

I only bring this up because whenever we have one of those "name a random old obscure Devil", I always bring him up with a smile - the only guy other than VBK to wear 34 if I'm not mistaken.

feel free to make this a name random devils player from days past thread.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/janne_ojanen_becomes_finnish_leagues_all-time_leading_scorer/#When:20:42:59Z

I only bring this up because whenever we have one of those "name a random old obscure Devil", I always bring him up with a smile - the only guy other than VBK to wear 34 if I'm not mistaken.

My personal favorite random old Devil is an always will be Myles O'Connor.

And Janne Ojanen's nickname was ?

I was only a couple of years old when Ojanen played for the Devils and didn't know anything about him till just now. I find it interesting he played in Finland in 91-92 then came back for the playoffs...why did that happen? Was the team real short on players?

I remember him pretty well...I'm going off the top of my head but I remember him putting up something like 10 goals and 10 assists in his first 30 games or so, which had fans optimistic...he tailed off after that, came back for a second stint sometime later, and that was it.

I for one will never forget Ojanen. In 1991 my parents got us tickets to an exhibition round match of the Canada Cup versus Finland. It was at Maple Leaf Gardens, we had seats in the first row of the reds, which was the first section above golds, at Canada's blue line. It was the only time I ever got to see Wayne Gretzky play in person. He mostly floated and didn't do anything all that memorable, was pointless for the game. The two goals in the game were both scored by Devils. Brendan Shanahan scored for Canada, although he was actually just recently a former Devil, having signed with the Blues a few months earlier. The tying goal in the game came from the illustrious Janne Ojanen. So, like I said, that's a name that's stuck with me.

I for one will never forget Ojanen. In 1991 my parents got us tickets to an exhibition round match of the Canada Cup versus Finland. It was at Maple Leaf Gardens, we had seats in the first row of the reds, which was the first section above golds, at Canada's blue line. It was the only time I ever got to see Wayne Gretzky play in person. He mostly floated and didn't do anything all that memorable, was pointless for the game. The two goals in the game were both scored by Devils. Brendan Shanahan scored for Canada, although he was actually just recently a former Devil, having signed with the Blues a few months earlier. The tying goal in the game came from the illustrious Janne Ojanen. So, like I said, that's a name that's stuck with me.

saw gretzky @ dinner last night in NYC.

by the way, another great flash in the pan:

Josef Boumedienne

saw his one goal in DC in game 1 of the 01-02 season - the only game he played for NJ