Possible Truce Between New Jersey Arenas Could Come at a Cost to Fans

Rock

Its a nice compromise. If it helps the Devils and the state I am all for it. What sucks is that I would like to have seen the ROCK get some concerts or family shows as I will never see anything at the CAA, just because of the hassle to get there and the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere. MSG is far easier and has more pre/post event options.

I don't see Brooklyn ever happening in the next 5-10 years and the fact that the Nets are even investigating this pretty much confirms this in my mind.

Its a nice compromise. If it helps the Devils and the state I am all for it. What sucks is that I would like to have seen the ROCK get some concerts or family shows as I will never see anything at the CAA, just because of the hassle to get there and the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere. MSG is far easier and has more pre/post event options.

I don't see Brooklyn ever happening in the next 5-10 years and the fact that the Nets are even investigating this pretty much confirms this in my mind.

I agree 100%.

Brooklyn's not happening. This seems to be a win-win, except it would be nice to see a show at the Rock. They should just bulldoze Izod.

The guys I talk with at the Pru seem to indicate they aren't going to loose the events that have already been going to the Pru. Most of this arrangement is to avoid having promoters use one arena against another to bargain down the price. If you have to book through one company, there is no playing one off the other to lower the cost of using the facility. Long term the hope is the Izod is closed but the politicos have to figure how to make the bergen, passaic and hudson county exec happy with some sort of compromise.

WHY are we compromising with the damn IZOD Center? let that thing rot a natural death. We'll get all the concerts the Pru can handle in due time. We dont need to broker a deal with the state of NJ so that we get a crappy NBA team that is all but definetly leaving the state in a couple of years, and so that the IZOD Center can still operate!

The guys I talk with at the Pru seem to indicate they aren't going to loose the events that have already been going to the Pru. Most of this arrangement is to avoid having promoters use one arena against another to bargain down the price. If you have to book through one company, there is no playing one off the other to lower the cost of using the facility. Long term the hope is the Izod is closed but the politicos have to figure how to make the bergen, passaic and hudson county exec happy with some sort of compromise.

Hope youre right. Its sad that common sense goes out the window to satisfy some corrupt execs from Bergen County, who were anti-Newark and Devils from the start. Like I said, it wouldve been better off letting IZOD rot. THEN you'd see leverage taken away.

I don't want an unsuccessful team to join us at the Rock.

I'm not gonna lie, but this also factors in somewhat to my opinion :whistling:

I agree 100%.

Brooklyn's not happening. This seems to be a win-win, except it would be nice to see a show at the Rock. They should just bulldoze Izod.

Agree 100%. Izod is a waste of real estate, send the entertainment to the PAC and have concerts during the summer at the Newark ball park

I believe that LIVENATION gives the CAA exclusivity on concerts with all their artists.

On another note, this same information was in a Star-Ledger article about a month ago.

Way to go NY Times, so timely.

Blow up Izod. Not one politician (except Gov. Whitman) cared when the Devils were there.

They counted the money coming in, yet said they lost money.

Why isn't Izod raking in the dough? They claimed they would once the Devils left.

Too bad I'm so selfish as a Devils fan that my biggest reason for saying "stay out, Nets" is that I don't want to see any of the decorations inside The Rock get altered. I love the fact that it's Devils-themed pretty much everywhere. I'd hate to see what gets changed over if the Nets move in. Basketball jerseys hanging up on some of the walls instead of hockey jerseys? Painting over the "small-headed" hockey players? (actually, that might not be so bad). And adding Dr. J to the NJ mural would be pretty cool. But overall, I just worry about the Nets' marketing taking over.

Again, like I said, totally selfish of me. But dammit, that's how I'm looking at this.

If this is the long-term solution to ensuring the Devils stay in NJ, then I'm all for it... concessions and all. But if it's a short two-year fix, the Devils better hold strong on interior choices.

Too bad I'm so selfish as a Devils fan that my biggest reason for saying "stay out, Nets" is that I don't want to see any of the decorations inside The Rock get altered. I love the fact that it's Devils-themed pretty much everywhere. I'd hate to see what gets changed over if the Nets move in. Basketball jerseys hanging up on some of the walls instead of hockey jerseys? Painting over the "small-headed" hockey players? (actually, that might not be so bad). And adding Dr. J to the NJ mural would be pretty cool. But overall, I just worry about the Nets' marketing taking over.

Again, like I said, totally selfish of me. But dammit, that's how I'm looking at this.

If this is the long-term solution to ensuring the Devils stay in NJ, then I'm all for it... concessions and all. But if it's a short two-year fix, the Devils better hold strong on interior choices.

The new owner (Prokhorov, Vanderbeek or other) would clear house so that doesn't concern me.

To any politician saying this is a bail out to Prudential Center, I say extend the Net's lease at Izod until they want to move and keep things as they are.

I don't want the Nets in my teams arena so Izod can make money with concerts (since they can't make money with Nets and concerts).

Please Islanders, step up to ne the Nets co-tenant in Brooklyn. Keep them out of Pru after their stint.

To any politician saying this is a bail out to Prudential Center, I say extend the Net's lease at Izod until they want to move and keep things as they are.

I don't want the Nets in my teams arena so Izod can make money with concerts (since they can't make money with Nets and concerts).

Please Islanders, step up to ne the Nets co-tenant in Brooklyn. Keep them out of Pru after their stint.

Izod can't make money on anything. the debt on that place is staggering. that's why the local politicians point at Newark and scream "bailout" whenever closing the dump comes up. once it closes, the debt has to be accounted for.... pretty much the same issue why Glendale is so desperate to keep the Coyotes, to keep kicking the crippling debt down the road instead of having to own up to it. it's not an easy thing to have a press conference for... "we're going to spend X number of dollars to knock over the $20M arena that's in 9 figures worth of debt.... next to a billion dollar boondogle that looks like it was made out of kiddie building block in all of the rejected colors."

Screw the Nets. They obviously want nothing to do with New Jersey so I want nothing to do with them.

look, obviously if we're making analogies, brooklyn is the girl that the addled and stuporous nets want to take home with them, whereas new jersey is the girl who the nets know will put out but isn't all that interested in. problem is, brooklyn is too chaste and virtuous for this one night stand the nets have envisaged - and it's going to be jersey or something far uglier for the nets, which deep down they know.