CONGRATS TO MARTY BRODEUR...NEW SHUTOUT KING #104!

ThreeCups

Marty is the standard and he deserves all the acolades!! I'm so proud of him, the organization, and proud to be a NEW JERSEY Devils fan!!!!

Marty your the best and may the good times keep rolling. Next home game I will def be there to see the ovation he gets!!! Well deserved!!! :evil::cheers:

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My humble take on Marty's record:

Brodeur clutches history, traps NHL shutout record at 104

Can't even recall how many of those shutouts I've watched. What a legend. Our kids' kids will still talk about him. Well, if the NHL's still around then.

<JESTER>

Great writeup! I love the stats too, it is amazing to see 34 shutouts of Marty's are against the local rivals. I realize they play the most but that shows he consistently shows up to win. Brodeur seems to be averaging a 10% shutout game percentage against them.

MB30's 104 is FINALLY the headline article on ESPN's NHL Page... after 2 hours (WTF!). Thats why I goto TSN.CA first, much better hockey coverage.

My humble take on Marty's record:

Brodeur clutches history, traps NHL shutout record at 104

Can't even recall how many of those shutouts I've watched. What a legend. Our kids' kids will still talk about him. Well, if the NHL's still around then.

<JESTER>

Nice article.

Now that pretty much all the records have fallen a lot of the hoopla that came along with it will subside. The part that sucks about it is that the next time Marty takes center stage like this it will likely be when he is about to hang up his skates.

People can try to discredit him all they want. The numbers speak for themselves. He was very fortunate to get drafted by this organization but when you look at the run of excellence the Devils have ushered these past 16 years there is one constant through it all. Martin Brodeur.

When you can do something at the highest level of your profession with as much consistency and success as he has its pretty special. In my mind he is the best to ever play goal. I've watched to many of his games to think otherwise. Now lets go to work on that Conn Smythe.

Edited by SickMan

Nice article.

Now that pretty much all the records have fallen a lot of the hoopla that came along with it will subside. The part that sucks about it is that the next time Marty takes center stage like this it will likely be when he is about to hang up his skates.

People can try to discredit him all they want. The numbers speak for themselves. He was very fortunate to get drafted by this organization but when you look at the run of excellence the Devils have ushered these past 16 years there is one constant through it all. Martin Brodeur.

When you can do something at the highest level of your profession with as much consistency and success as he has its pretty special. In my mind he is the best to ever play goal. I've watched to many of his games to think otherwise. Now lets go to work on that Conn Smythe.

It is a shame that he was robbed of the only piece of hardware he is really missing....when they gave the Conn Smythe to that sniffling crybaby Giguere. (can't hold not having a Hart trophy against a goaltender) Marty had 3 shutouts in the FINALS for crying out loud! Ridiculous robbery....MARTY'S BETTER! One of the best chants I have ever heard/been a part of. Continental was absolutely electric that night, and for that Game 7 alone that dump of an arena will always hold a special place in my fan heart!

....the best thing about the record is the organizational bump, in which was dropped.

*Sawchuk set 103 as a Ranger.

*Brodeur set 104 as a DEVIL!

.................. :gd:

Edited by Beezer34

I remember watching his debut so long ago...my friend Larry (a Ranger fan) asked me "Who's this Brodeur guy?" At the time all I knew about him was that he was the Devils' first round pick in 1990 and had been picked 20th overall...outside of that, I had no idea what to expect out of him...hell, at that time I still thought Terreri was the immediate future. Man this has gone by so fast.

One of the best things about last night was the fact that he faced 35 shots, and some tough ones to boot. That at least keeps the "Marty only faces 15 shots or so a night" morons at bay. NHL on the Fly on both DirecTV and XM-Sirius did a terrific job with their tributes...especially XM-Sirius...lots of nice soundbytes. What made both tributes great was there were no mentions of systems and traps. A nice switch.

Where were you when Marty got his first NHL shutout?........ lol

What an awesome record to break. Congrats Marty. :)

I hope his retirement party (4-5 years down the road) will be done right. Something like an hour long ceremony for a saturday night game. Devils better do his night right! Not like the usual 10 minute BS ceremony's!

Whats the next record to break? Most playoff wins?

He also needs a Conne Smythe trophy! :evil:

Also, The Devils completely outplayed the penguins most of that game. Its amazing how well we are playing and still without Zubrus, Clarkson, and Martin. Its amazing we are in first place, yet we let madden and Gionta walk away and did not sign Gaborik. :giggle: or we did not sign Scott Niedermayer. :giggle:

Build from within! Thats why you draft and develop players! Winning championships are sweeter when you win with the players you developed not bought!........ I know we are FAR away from any championships this season but if this team can keep it up we look like pretty good contenders.

Where were you when Marty got his first NHL shutout?........ lol

I was there, actually...the Devils gave away free commemorative pins for that game, for the expansion Mighty Ducks' first game in NJ. I think I still have that pin somewhere (along with the Panthers' version). They used to come out to "Hold On Loosely" back then...yikes.

Fantastic !!! We've all been following this record for many, many years now.

All Hail the King !!

I was there, actually...the Devils gave away free commemorative pins for that game, for the expansion Mighty Ducks' first game in NJ. I think I still have that pin somewhere (along with the Panthers' version). They used to come out to "Hold On Loosely" back then...yikes.

I was there too. But somehow I think I gave that pin away...

The King does not slow down. What a treat to watch this man year after year. I can't wait for the 30th to cheer him in his homecoming.

check that, there is an atlanta game on 28th, oh well I guess I will miss the homecoming. at least i will be there for pens game when they will be trying to not get destroyed by marty again.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

One of the best things about last night was the fact that he faced 35 shots, and some tough ones to boot. That at least keeps the "Marty only faces 15 shots or so a night" morons at bay. NHL on the Fly on both DirecTV and XM-Sirius did a terrific job with their tributes...especially XM-Sirius...lots of nice soundbytes. What made both tributes great was there were no mentions of systems and traps. A nice switch.

I've been posting this in a few other places, but here's some stats I pulled together:

From '94-'95 to '02-'03, Roy played 543 games, had 39 shutouts, and faced about 26 shots per game. Brodeur played 614 games, had 61 shutouts, and faced about 23 shots per game. Granted, Roy was older than Marty, and that may have factored into it... but Roy still had 9 shutouts in 01-02 when Brodeur only had 4, so both benefited from playing behind strong teams and defenses. If you compare relative age with shutous, from 30-37 Roy had 39 shutouts, Brodeur has 53 - with missing the lockout year, only playing 31 games last season, and playing in "the new NHL" in front of teams lacking Stevens, Niedermayer, etc.

Any way you look at it, it's a phenomenal accomplishment.