A plane crashed on September 22, 2004

metallidevils

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how it's going to end end! :giggle: Right at the moment all is settled and we think either that we have our happily ever after or that we'll cut to our happily every after.... it'll end on a white flash!

So you have closure in that the goal was achieved and all seems great -- but what will the white flash MEAN??? That will be what people argue about for years to come - so it's not as bad as the Sopranos black screen - we know historically the white flash means something happens -- but we never see the actual resolution! We get to decide what it is - everyone continues on alt time-line?

Everyone dies and goes to heaven?

This is when a time-loop has actually been created and we start at the beginning again?

Or was it just an alternative to the slow mo or freeze frame end shot and all is just what we saw and the flash is just there to mess with us...

oh yeah Desmond will have a role to play - but I think the end will be something Jack can take credit for and Desmond survives. Desmond has his moment of control NOW -- when the time comes, he's just an instrument that Jack will have to control/protect. Des will have to go into the light.

It ain't necessarily so, but I feel like Richard is the perfect sacrifice because he has nothing to sacrifice - he's not a father in any timeline, he loves no one living in any timeline - his life has been mostly for the island and he chose that, eternally, it would seem.

My Richard and wedding ideas aren't what I THINK is going to happen - that's why I wrote it's what I want to happen.

For me I don't theorize I just day dream about what would be cool to see. Whatever they do with it is fine with me. I don't have a DVR or Tivo so I've never looked for or even seen secret messages - I never saw the darma logo on the shark even! I do watch Lost untangled thought -- I just started that the latter half of this season when I had to watch a few shows online - I saw the Pierre Chang puppet and had to see what was up with that! SOOO funny!! I also started watching this actually pretty stupid thing called Lost smackdown -- sort of lame. AND I watch this one theory thing that makes me laugh -- Sky one an english channel has a recap show and I dont know why I like it. OH and another one I found -- (I'm glad I just started watching the show online this year - I found all these looking for the Lost video via google LOST video and ABC Lost brings up a lot of junk!) so the other is these two idiots -- I think they work for entertainment weekly -- they are so STUPID but it's funny - this week they had this whole bit with Jacob and the MIB and those actors were SOOOO actory it was traumatic even! Let me see if I can find the link -- I always forget who they are I have too see the screen shot... BRB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3T_4efeRh8

How funny is this puppet?

Oh and I'd watched -- what's his face... that idiot... teh Ranger fan??? Al Troutwig! He had a whole thing -- did you all post it here? I dont know who told me but it was on MSG.com - either you guys or a hockey friend told me about it. Man he sounded so stupid - what a monumental waste of time!

This is the one it is EW. there are 5 parts to this this is the last one because they remind me SOOO much of hanging out with actors. You have fun and stuff but at the same time they're just so ... just actors - it never stops it's that 24/7 but anyhow - these are funny if you can watch all of them.

Richard -- what a waste of a character! :lol:

Sounds like Kate lived a good life the way she said how much she had missed Jack. - Cute kind of Ghost and Mrs Muir ending.

Now... who wasn't all choked up when Vincent came running up? I think the old shoe in the bamboo was evidence that the island happenings were real. He was too adorably fuzzy and young though -- he should have been a seven or eight year old dog. His adorable yellow paws and he made Jack smile and laugh. Everything is OK when dog is by your side!!

The only thing I wonder is was the first off island real? I guess it would be but that's so gross that Sayid's returning to the real world resulted in nothing but Nadia's death. So tragic -- and he goes off with Shannon to heaven - what gives?

I think that's what bugs me the most about the end -- is that there was so much useless death at the end of it all.

I liked the finale.

I know some people are a little peeved that everything wasn't answered in that episode -- I know I still have a lot of unanswered questions myself.

But when it all comes down to it, I thought this was a great show -- especially when compared to the majority of other programming on TV -- that kept me interested from week to week all through the first episode to the very last, all of six seasons.

I don't ever get caught up in a TV show like I did with this one. I am going to miss it -- as sad as that sounds.

I liked the finale.

I know some people are a little peeved that everything wasn't answered in that episode -- I know I still have a lot of unanswered questions myself.

But when it all comes down to it, I thought this was a great show -- especially when compared to the majority of other programming on TV -- that kept me interested from week to week all through the first episode to the very last, all of six seasons.

I don't ever get caught up in a TV show like I did with this one. I am going to miss it -- as sad as that sounds.

+1

I'm probably still too excited after the finale (I watched it today), so I can't really rate it yet with all the emotions, but it's been a few hours since I watched it and it's literally still the only I'm able to think about right now. It's not often that a movie leaves me thinking about it for a long time after I leave the cinema (it used to happen on more occasions when I was more of a kid) and when it comes to TV series, I don't think it EVER happened before. This is the first time I'm experiencing something like this, really. There was never a show I would miss this much and when I think about all these years I've been watching this... man, it's a shame to see it go. :( Of course, it had to happen eventually, all the fans waited for it and I'm glad the creators had a plan in place and they made a decision on the number of seasons early (it usually turns out pretty bad when guys try to drag the show to last longer than it should).

It was an extremely emotional episode. I'm kind of angry at the directors for not answering some of the questions (I also think the Jacob-MIB episode should've been twice as long as it was, they should've shown us more), but at the same time I think I'm happy with the ending overall and that's the most important thing: they didn't screw it.

Looks like they are going to put some extra stuff on the DVD edition, so I'm definitely going to check it out. That should shed light on some of the mysteries. One of the things that are still bugging me is how the hell Smokie managed to get to LA and show himself to Jack [season 4, episode 10] (or was it just Jack having delusions? Was that his father really? Christian should've said something about all these appearences in the finale to make it clear. It would've make the episode like what, 10 seconds longer?).

Also, what exactly happened to the Man in Black after he was thrown into the light? I mean, I know he turned into the smoke monster (and probably all of the "light" inside him was sucked out, so he became a true Sith. ;) But since he could turn back into his human form, I thought his body wouldn't die. Now when I think of it, it's understandable, but it's too bad the first meeting between Jacob and his brother's new form wasn't shown. I mean, when the smoke emerged out of the Heart of the Island, Jacob probably thought it was some weird stuff and didn't realize it was his brother at first - even more so after finding MIB's body). Were there any smoke monsters before him? I wonder what the creators are going to do about all this. I think (hope!) we might see more stuff like books or encyclopedia or maybe even mobisodes explaining these things.

Edited by Revan

Overall, I feel like the finale was satisfactory, but not up to standards of the rest of the series. Lost gets 4.5 out of 5 overall, but the finale is a 3 of 5, maybe even 2.5 of 5. That may be harsh, but consider this point of view:

1) In season 1, when every one was trying to guess what happened and what everything meant, JJ and crew swore up and down that the characters were all alive and that the show was not an allegory for purgatory, etc. Then, in the series finale, they drop this deuce on us... I think they just wanted to throw everyone off to keep up the intrigue / publicity. Personally, I think it would have been better viewing if we "knew" they were dead and the characters didn't - like in "sixth sense".

2) In similar interviews the producers claimed that when they wrote the show that they had the first 8 and the last 8 episodes more or less written. In fact, it's a well known fact that Locke was not really intended to be a central character until all of the fans fell in love with him. That part is okay, it's good the producers are so flexible. What bothers me is that it seems like seasons 3-5 were all about ad-libbing to throw off viewers and bloggers. It's almost as if instead of writing everything from start to finish in one outline, they wrote the beginning and the end and then just toyed with different by-lines for 3 or 4 seasons. Nothing wrong with that - but then to go back to an ending that is more a kin to season 1, that's pretty weak. Half-assed actually.

3) They didn't owe people too many explanations, but there were some really BIG ones that they blatantly ignored: Walt, the Dahrma Initiative, the numbers, why were people that were alive at the time of Jack's death still represented and present in Church? Why was Charles Whitmore such a dick? If the island events were real, did a nuke really go off?

They did get a lot "right" in my opinion... The subtle hints to great books through out the series was amazing. So many "easter eggs", I loved it. There was a continuous good vs evil plot line that was quite elegant in the finale. They also did a good job with the scenes where people realized they were dead. I liked that they didn't try to answer everything. Leaving some things open to interpretation is bold and thought provoking. For example, did Mother really exist? What did she represent? Did the passengers die in the crash on the island, or did the island happen for real?

Watch for a "tell all" book from the producers to explain all of this crap. My guess is that there will be a lot of books, webisodes, or other things that ABC tries to implement. What the hell are they going to do with out this revenue stream? They still have Grey's Anatomy, but that's about it. V is a flop.

Personally, I believe the island was real, the survivors (or most of them) survived the plane crash. The parallel universe or alternative reality was "purgatory" or where people go to sort out un-resolved issues in their life on earth. In my opinion, the Others, Dahrma, etc were all un-related (though interesting) side bars to the main event that were happening on the island when the plane crashed. That's the only way I can think of to resolve Desmond, Whitmore, and all of the other visitors to the island post-crash that died and showed up in the Church.

There are things that don't fit, but who gives a sh!t. The one thing that bugs me was the Walt story line. Why was he so special? Did he really have mystical powers? The reality is that 7 years later he's like 16 years old, they didn't close out his story line in 2005, and can't now for obvious reasons (characters didn't age / change) so it's no surprise they screwed themselves there. I'm just surprised they didn't even try...

Sorry for the long post, but it's fun to write / think about.

Motor, just some quick answers.

The Island wasn't purgatory and the characters weren't dead, I don't see that the producers or writers were false in saying that.

The sideflash purgatory place takes place sorta outside of time, so people who died before and after Jack can all be there, they come at the time of their death, but to all of them it seems like the proper time.

Edited by Devils731

Motor, just some quick answers.

The Island wasn't purgatory and the characters weren't dead, I don't see that the producers or writers were false in saying that.

The sideflash purgatory place takes place sorta outside of time, so people who died before and after Jack can all be there, they come at the time of their death, but to all of them it seems like the proper time.

Just to add to this, Christian says 'some of them died before you, some long after you.' Another line from Christian... 'everything you remembered was real' or something to that effect. He basically flat out said it all really occurred.

I agree - it's still a cop-out. I say cop-out because even though the island wasn't purgatory, the writers spent most of their time in 6 seasons exploring the concept in this "alternative time sequence". For example: If everything they remembered was true - why did Locke tell Jack he didn't have a kid. Jack "thought" he did. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying that there are many circular arguments. Whether or not they were there on purpose or not is another story.

Edited by Motor City Devil

And my prediction was largely wrong but hey it was a great journey and an epic ending.

Yeah - I didn't see the flashes were going to turn out to be purgatory coming a bit! I can't help but think it sucks Jack didn't have a son - it sucks John Locke had such a sh!tty life with ZERO positive denouement -- always just an a$$hole in the end.

I don't care in the slightest about Walt or the numbers -- I mean how many time can they come up with answers about those stupid numbers before people are satisfied? Dharma initiative seems pretty clear cut - what's to be answered... aside from the food drops I guess?

The entire Oceanic Six season was totally useless when I look at it in retrospect. I enjoyed it but I'm thinking it had no real point - just a diversion. Jack sent his life down the toilet so he had nothing to live for besides the island. and it got Locke killed for the smoke monster - but what was the problem with Christian's body? Hmm...makes me think maybe they did know this ending -- Jack's final battle was originally written to be against his "father" -- THAT would have been one creepy battle huh? To strong a metaphor I guess.

So what questions do I have...

Who was Ben working for in the Oceanic six off-island season?

What was Eco's story line was supposed to be?

I did think it was funny how Rose and Bernard were JUST BARELY tolerating everyone in the purgatory - those two were so petulant it clued you in to it not being real... those were the only scenes that really had me thinking WTF - this is NOT happening - I thought it may have been a dream the light created for them but not everyone was happy...

So I guess the only thing I called was Desmond not being the sacrificial lamb! I did NOT expect that the light was an actual cork though

I'm bored and tired and hate the Flyers.

I totally forgot about Ecko - he was great...

Share a lot of the same feelings for Lost that you just expressed. So much of some of the episodes was just a distraction. It could have been (should have been?) 4 seasons max. I am not saying that Dharma and the numbers and such consumed my, but considering it was all of season 1 and much of season 2, it left a lot of people feeling cheated. You're so right about Rose's character.

It would be neat to have lunch with Rose's actress and see what she feels about her and Bernard's role.

I definitely agree - the "corking" situation was lame near the end. Put a cork in it, and poof - everything is back to "normal". No way else to put it - that was pretty dumb. So was the whole symbolism of being "reborn" going down the waterfall and out the other side of the rocks.

Is anyone else at all curious about Walt's story line? What was his powers, and what the hell happened to him?

edit: I too hate the Flyers, and hope Chicago sweeps them.

I agree - it's still a cop-out. I say cop-out because even though the island wasn't purgatory, the writers spent most of their time in 6 seasons exploring the concept in this "alternative time sequence". For example: If everything they remembered was true - why did Locke tell Jack he didn't have a kid. Jack "thought" he did. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying that there are many circular arguments. Whether or not they were there on purpose or not is another story.

Everything that happened on the Island was real. Then, after every one of them died (either in season 1, season 6 or years later [Hurley became the new keeper, so God knows how long he lived after that]), they kind of "woke up" on the plane (keep in mind it's afterlife, so, like Christian said, the time and when they died is irrelevant there). The world there looked like it was kind of Jack's perfect world: the Island sank and the plane never crashed (probably because Jack's little experiment with the bomb from season 5 finale worked). Almost everyone has a happier life: Sawyer is a good guy, Jack has a son and starts getting along with him after having issues in the past, Desmond has a great relationship with Widmore, etc, etc.

Locke tells Jack he doesn't have a son after having flashbacks of his life and realising he's in some sort of purgatory and that in his life before the death, Shepherd didn't have a kid. Jack didn't understand what Locke meant, because he didn't realise it was purgatory yet (it took him a while - he finally realised that after having talked to Kate after the concert; you know good ol' Jackie isn't to be convinced easily).

As for the numbers, I'm happy they didn't say anything. Really, that was one of those things that should stay as a mystery. Just like I didn't expect them to explain what the Island was. I mean, it would be like George Lucas explaining where the Force comes from in the Star Wars finale (good thing that didn't happen... although he was still able to screw things up a bit with all the midichlorian nonsense in The Phantom Menace). You're probably right about Walt though, I'd like to hear more about him, too.

My opinion on Walt is this, I think that at some point early in the series they had drawn this map out for him. What he was going to be, how he would develop but I think they didn't consider puberty. I think that it hit him too quick and very drastically so they weren't able to explain how, in 90 some odd days, he was able to grow so fast. So they decided they would work around it with a new character. And I think that character is Desmond. Everything that Desmond was to the series I think Walt was supposed to be. We were already given a hint with the electromagnetism and the bird hitting the window in Walt's flashback...given the "birds have use internal magnetic compassing to migrate" theory is correct. And I think that Walt's other abilities (the seeming polar bear manifestation..which could've been foreshadow rather than actual manifestation, and the astral projection...when he helped Locke out of the pit) were ditched and Desmond was given his time travel manipulation to differentiate between the two characters...

On a side note I'm trying to debate on wether or not Locke/Smokie lied to Jack about being the vision of Christian he saw in the jungle that lead him to water...I do believe that he was the Christian that got Locke to rotate the Donkey wheel but I think he was lying about helping Jack...

Also my biggest question about the show is at what point did Jacob stop trying to prove Smokie wrong? (as he said his original idea was...both in their introduction and in Richard's episode) so were the Oceanic 815ers part his proving Smokey wrong and part candidates for his replacement or at that point did he realize Smokie's plan to kill him was going to come to fruition so he scrapped the other stuff and concentrated on his replacement....

I think Smokey was telling the truth -- I also think Ben was led by Smokey all the time -- I think the dude that said "help me" was in fact the smoke monster not Jacob - it's the only way it makes sense... :wacko: or not... who said it had to make ANY sense? And if ghost Christian was wandering around off island why didn't he tell Jack the smoke monster was imitating him?

and I LOVE the Walt idea! I think you are totally correct!

Edited by Pepperkorn

I guess it doesn't have to make sense and the off island vision Jack has could've very well been a hallucination. Jack did, after all, tell the Doc from Las Vegas (the tv show) to find his dad and bring him down if Jack was drunker than he then they could fire him....although the smoke alarm going off could've been a clue or red herring during that scene...

My interest with the situation is that when we see Christian (on island) in his suit he seems to be helping but we also see him later on in island attire and he seems to have smokey-like motives...so who knows..