Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CRASHER

N.F.L. Wild Card Round

164 posts in this topic

I am NOT a Jets fan. RR is NOT my coach. I am saying instead of using Revis' stats, use the LACK of stats by the guys he is covering. He cannot post the glamorous numbers that Woodson does because he simply does not get enough opportunities. QBs don't want to throw anywhere near him. He is the best corner in the league HANDS DOWN.

+1 Woodson is good, but Revis is better.

you're not reading my point :P

I'm asking if coach fat boy doesn't want to base on stats AND he's in no way gonna have the time to go over the game film of each and every play Woodson makes or is in on, how in the blue hell does he have ANY basis to open his big, stupid mouth??

it's the problem when you talk as big as he does (and the only thing bigger then his mouth is his gut, which is ironically mouth-related)... even when you DO say something valid... you've drowned it out in such a pool of sh!t it's hard to take serious!!!

There's a DB in Oakland who's pretty damn good too ya know.....

My point was Ryan is NOT QUALIFIED to asses the defensive POY based on the simple fact his job is to focus on two teams... his and his opponent's

Rome himself was playing Devils Advocate and seemed to side with the Woodson pick, and that Revis will get his in the future. One of his guest was adamant that Revis deserved Defensive POY and could not post the numbers Woodson does because no QBs try to test him. I will officially predict now: 2010 NFL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: DARRELLE REVIS

I've heard this said about 1,000 times on WFAN lately, but just read something that, unless I'd reading it incorrectly, seems to contradict that statement:

Stats Inc. tracked every pass attempt during the season and found Revis was targeted 108 times. Only four cornerbacks were thrown at more frequently: Arizona's Bryant McFadden (113), Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor (110), Arizona's Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (109) and Cincinnati's Johnathan Joseph (109).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9203/versus-revis-all-wrs-in-elimination-game

The whole "QBs don't throw at Revis" argument doesn't seem to actually hold up, statistically speaking. That said ... dude is insanely good.

And CRASH, Rex is Rex. The guy, week after week, has been doing nothing but talking up his players and team. It's his motivational tactic, building an "Us Against Them" kind of attitude, and so far it's working. I wouldn't look too far into it as a slight against Woodson or anything.

I've heard this said about 1,000 times on WFAN lately, but just read something that, unless I'd reading it incorrectly, seems to contradict that statement:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9203/versus-revis-all-wrs-in-elimination-game

The whole "QBs don't throw at Revis" argument doesn't seem to actually hold up, statistically speaking. That said ... dude is insanely good.

And CRASH, Rex is Rex. The guy, week after week, has been doing nothing but talking up his players and team. It's his motivational tactic, building an "Us Against Them" kind of attitude, and so far it's working. I wouldn't look too far into it as a slight against Woodson or anything.

Great article DIG. Everytime I have watched the Jets it seems as you don't hear too much about Revis/see him because he is quietly shutting down the other team's best guy. With that being said, I was SHOCKED to read the stat of how many times he was targeted. I have to think that a good amount of the balls being thrown towards him are going to be in a spot where "only his receiver can catch it" and that would be by making an unbelievable play. The QBs on opposing teams have to obviously be alot more careful when balls are thrown to a receiver covered by Revis. Other stats that were interesting in the article: "He led the NFL in passes defensed." The one most impressive to me is the ridiculous numbers for his gameday battle opponents: "Randy Moss twice, Terrell Owens twice, Ochocinco twice, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Mike Sims-Walker ... They averaged 2.9 receptions and 26.4 yards against Revis." To me, that is the "checkmate" so to speak. I would LOVE to see any other DB in the league hold these ELITE receivers to those paltry numbers. Everything aside, if my team could get one defensive player in the NFL, my pick is WITHOUT A DOUBT/SLIGHTEST BIT OF HESITATION: DARRELLE REVIS. EDIT: CRASH: I do not take anything Rex says seriously. He said the Jets should be the FAVORITE to win the whole thing! He also handed a schedule to his players that went through the Super Bowl and included a parade! He is off his rocker!

Edited by ThreeCups

Great article DIG. Everytime I have watched the Jets it seems as you don't hear too much about Revis/see him because he is quietly shutting down the other team's best guy. With that being said, I was SHOCKED to read the stat of how many times he was targeted. I have to think that a good amount of the balls being thrown towards him are going to be in a spot where "only his receiver can catch it" and that would be by making an unbelievable play. The QBs on opposing teams have to obviously be alot more careful when balls are thrown to a receiver covered by Revis.

Because I'm bored, here are some more Revis numbers:

Times thrown to - 108

Passes defended - 37

Interceptions - 6

Receptions - 32

Other - 33

Revis defended more passes than the WRs he covered had receptions. I don't know what the league average is, but that seems pretty nuts to me. That "other" number could be a bunch of things ... dropped balls, bad throws, whatever. But, looking at the numbers, it looks like if you threw toward Revis you had about a 30% chance it would actually get caught. Also nuts.

Jeez ... why didn't I like math this much when I was in school? :doh1:

Edit: Disregard all of that. I added up the receiving stats against Revis from the graph in that ESPN article before realizing it was only for 11 games. Whoops!

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

you're not reading my point :P

I'm asking if coach fat boy doesn't want to base on stats AND he's in no way gonna have the time to go over the game film of each and every play Woodson makes or is in on, how in the blue hell does he have ANY basis to open his big, stupid mouth??

it's the problem when you talk as big as he does (and the only thing bigger then his mouth is his gut, which is ironically mouth-related)... even when you DO say something valid... you've drowned it out in such a pool of sh!t it's hard to take serious!!!

There's a DB in Oakland who's pretty damn good too ya know.....

My point was Ryan is NOT QUALIFIED to asses the defensive POY based on the simple fact his job is to focus on two teams... his and his opponent's

The guy is a defensive genius, his dad built the 46 defense, he grew up on football---HE KNOWS THE GAME.

Randy Moss twice, Terrell Owens twice, Ochocinco twice, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Mike Sims-Walker

03-015-l.jpg

The guy is a defensive genius, his dad built the 46 defense, he grew up on football---HE KNOWS THE GAME.

Did I dispute that?

No.....

What I said was does he have the time and effort (and lack of bias) to rate the other Defensive POY candiates fairly and that answer is an obvious NO.... he needs to worry more about cloning Revis by three or get shredded Sunday afternoon :P

Did I dispute that?

No.....

What I said was does he have the time and effort (and lack of bias) to rate the other Defensive POY candiates fairly and that answer is an obvious NO.... he needs to worry more about cloning Revis by three or get shredded Sunday afternoon :P

He must have watch Arizona throw all over them. Either way you being too harsh on Rex, especially when the Jets beat SD this weekend.

Damn right, the Super Bowl 3 look works. Let's ditch those green pants forever.

...yo '7, you think the white-on-white is the only connection to the Superbowl III team? You shoulda heard NFL Talk going home today on XM-Sirius...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*From November 17, 1968 -to- January 12th, 1969.. the Jets won 6 out of 7 games.

*From November 29, 2009 -to- January 12th, 2010.. the Jets won 6 out of 7 games.

*The first 5 games into 1968-69 season, the Jets opened with a 3-2 record.

*The first 5 games into 2009-10 season, the Jets opened with a 3-2 record.

*Cincinnati only managed to score 14 points against the 1968-69 Jets team.

*Cincinnati only managed to score 14 points against the 2009-10 Jets team.

*The 1968-69 Jets, finished the year with a 7 point margin of defeat average.

*The 2009-10 Jets, finished the year with a 7 point margin of defeat average.

*In their last 3 victories of the season, the 1968-69 Jets scored a total of 93 points.

*In their last 3 victories of the season, the 2009-10 Jets scored a total of 92 points.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...to much karma to ignore, and I'm only skimming the surface. There must've been at least 6 other jaw-dropping correlations they mentioned that I forgot. Is this really the year the Jets make it the Superbowl? (First time since 1969) :noclue:

Edited by Beezer34

...yo '7, you think the white-on-white is the only connection to the Superbowl III team? You shoulda heard NFL Talk going home today on XM-Sirius...

*From November 17, 1968 -to- January 12th, 1969.. the Jets won 6 out of 7 games.

*From November 29, 2009 -to- January 12th, 2010.. the Jets won 6 out of 7 games.

*The first 5 games into 1968-69 season, the Jets opened with a 3-2 record.

*The first 5 games into 2009-10 season, the Jets opened with a 3-2 record.

*Cincinnati only managed to score 14 points against the 1968-69 Jets team.

*Cincinnati only managed to score 14 points against the 2009-10 Jets team.

*The 1968-69 Jets, finished the year with a 7 point margin of defeat average.

*The 2009-10 Jets, finished the year with a 7 point margin of defeat average.

*In their last 3 victories of the season, the 1968-69 Jets scored a total of 93 points.

*In their last 3 victories of the season, the 2009-10 Jets scored a total of 92 points.

...to much karma to ignore, and I'm only skimming the surface. There must've been at least 6 other jaw-dropping correlations they mentioned that I forgot. Is this really the year the Jets make it the Superbowl? (First time since 1969) :noclue:

Cause the key to Superbowl success is matching random pointless stats with a team from 40 years ago.

Cause the key to Superbowl success is matching random pointless stats with a team from 40 years ago.

:mellow:

..uh, no. Just some fun facts to put a smile on a Jet fans' face. Thanks for the somber bit of acrimony though. :unsure:

Edited by Beezer34

Cobbs is tiny and doesn't give the Dolphins the kind of power that Brown or Williams does. Hillard from what I see lacks the speed of Brown.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins look at a RB in the first or second round in the draft.

Not gonna happen. This draft will be about defense and trying to find a stud WR for the Dolphins. Ronnie isn't going anywhere.