Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaneykoIsGod

Mark McGwire admits steroid use

14 posts in this topic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/01/11/mcgwire.statement/index.html

Now that I have become the hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals, I have the chance to do something that I wish I was able to do five years ago.

I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come. It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected. I used steroids during my playing career and I apologize. I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 off season and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again. I used them on occasion throughout the nineties, including during the 1998 season.

All joking aside, good for Big Mac for finally coming clean.

I think Jon Heyman summed it up best on Twitter:

SI_JonHeyman

if you lie for 10 years, and everyone knows you're lying, what's the value of finally telling the truth?

Not a surprise, it was kind of something he was going to have to do if he expected to be St. Louis' hitting coach. I'm glad he came clean, but imo he just cemented his non-hall of famer status. One thing, though, he said that he had "a torn left heel muscle, a stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle," which led to him using to try and heal, but not knowing anything else about those injuries, I would guess he got them because his feet couldn't handle the sheer body mass he got from taking steroids.

I guess it's better than lying for 11 years. :noclue:

He's only coming clean because he's the Cardinals' hitting coach now. I think the team said at the time they announced the hiring that Mac would address the steroids issue before spring training started. Forced or not, at least he finally came clean.

McGwire is being interviewed by Bob Costas right now on MLB Network, if anyone is interested.

McGwire saying the steroids did not effect his performance is just flat out stupid.

McGwire saying the steroids did not effect his performance is just flat out stupid.

I didn't get to see the interview ... did he actually say that? Yeah, Mark, it's just a coincidence that the only people ahead of Maris in the record book are you, Sammy and Bonds, three guys built like linebackers with heads the size of Mardi Gras floats. Just a coincidence. Dick.

Which reminds me of one of the best McGwire jokes I had ever heard. I'm pretty sure it was the Daily Show several years years ago. I forget the beginning, but Jon Stewart capped it by saying, "Mark McGwire still swings a mean bat. Too bad it's only three inches long and covered in pimples." :rimshot:

I didn't get to see the interview ... did he actually say that? Yeah, Mark, it's just a coincidence that the only people ahead of Maris in the record book are you, Sammy and Bonds, three guys built like linebackers with heads the size of Mardi Gras floats. Just a coincidence. Dick.

Which reminds me of one of the best McGwire jokes I had ever heard. I'm pretty sure it was the Daily Show several years years ago. I forget the beginning, but Jon Stewart capped it by saying, "Mark McGwire still swings a mean bat. Too bad it's only three inches long and covered in pimples." :rimshot:

He pretty much said the steroids helped him with the 162-game grind but believes he could have done what he did even without steroids. Bullsh!t.

Edited by nmigliore

Anyone else ever wonder if any guys in the NHL take steroids?

All the time. If not steroids, at least some form of doping that the Tour De France tests for all the time. That would be incredibly helpful in hockey. I remember hearing that in the the past lots of players would take Sudafed before games to keep the energy level up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1011875/2/index.htm

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Anyone else ever wonder if any guys in the NHL take steroids?

I remember this one when it happened...John Kordic. It was pretty tragic:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/17/sports/hockey-he-skated-on-the-ice-then-fell-through-it.html?pagewanted=1

As for McGwire, he was on his way to becoming the next Dave Kingman before he started 'roiding up. He never would have sniffed Hall Of Fame numbers without the juice.

If only baseball would do the right thing and reinstate Maris' record...

I remember hearing that in the the past lots of players would take Sudafed before games to keep the energy level up.

Still didn't help a certain someone...