My Thoughts On Jiggy

SC Devs Fan

I think he "stole" more games for the Ducks than did the Ducks outplay their opponents and Pang was just looking for excuses because he picked the Ducks on national TV moments before the start of the game. How could he be wrong? He's on TV!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to sound crass, forgive me but are we going to have to hear about Gig's personal problems now after the fact? I did hear he needed a special drink to prevent dehydration but now we are hearing that his mother is sick? I certainly would hope for her well being but with all the Sucks ass kissing and the Devil dissing, I wouldn't be surprised. They'll blame it on mental fatigues.

I hate to sound crass, forgive me but are we going to have to hear about Gig's personal problems now after the fact? I did hear he needed a special drink to prevent dehydration but now we are hearing that his mother is sick? I certainly would hope for her well being but with all the Sucks ass kissing and the Devil dissing, I wouldn't be surprised. They'll blame it on mental fatigues.

Here are Giguere's stats over the last 3 seasons:

Year___GAA__SV___SO___GP?

00-01   2.57   .911    4

01-02   2.13   .920    4

02-03   2.30   .920    8

My computer is so stinking slow I can't get this stat -- I'm not arguing and if anything if the games played varies enough it's a testament to the little chucker's consitancy it's just a very obvious omission everyone is making IMO.

oh dear lord derek...you're NOT saying it was the pedialyte are you? If he was too damm dumb to know how to hydr...nevermind :evil:

I learned about his mother's illness during the Dallas series...I read it in the paper...I then remember it being said during the Wild series, which I was able to watch...was on IR and not able to see rounds 1&2 but I knew about his mom and his dehydration issues way before SCF :huh:

I agree with Zam; I don't really want to hear about Giguere's problems (Though I obviously don't wish any ill will for his mother); Marty himself had two seperate injuries he was playing through and he recorded four regulation shutouts (three shutouts) during the series and I didn't give a fig about HIS injuries myself when he lost 3 of 4, so why should I care about Michelin Man's problems?

Oh you can also throw in his personal problems along with his injuries...

Thats part of the game... injuries and the external relationships... They need to play around them...

I dont make excuses for Marty,

I wont accept excuses about Giguire...

The first three series, congratulations. He played as a goaltender could get. He defeated quality teams in DET an DAL , even MIN although 3 shutouts against a team who can't score for sh!t is a good job. HOWEVER, he played great up UNTIL the Stanley Cup Finals. Despite having a 2.75 GAA!!!!, even the games he won (especially game 3) wasn't anything overly spectacular, the Elias goal was very weak. Game four I tip my hat to him, and game six he had enough support for one softie. Marty Brodeur had extremely solid first two rounds, with the exception of the one Boston game (just like giggy in Dallas).

Although Giggy played a great third round, THE DEVILS PLAYED THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. MARTY went into the best team building in the league and beat them.

Giggy was great for 3 rounds, mediocre in the final.

Brodeur was solid, and at times spectacular, for all four rounds, including beat Giguere handily in GAME SEVEN.

Giggy won on hype. Niedermayer, Brodeur, and Madden could have all been CST winners.

I agree. I am stunned that no team has called for Constantine. i am a huge fan of Constantine going back to his days in San Jose. I always followed his career. Last week, he was hired to coach the WHL expansion franchise in Emerald, Washington. I wish him well. He is a winner. It takes courage for him to swallow his pride to coach in the WHL.

Ok, guys. Here I am with the What Makes An Elite Goalie post that I promised a few nights ago. I finally got through reading my notes concerning dat Martaans guy, so here we go.

It never ceases to amaze me, this continuous chatter out on AOL and the Internet that Marty Brodeur is as over rated as they come and mediocre at best.

Consider this: I got a chance to watch the Diablos several times this season and a LOT in the playoffs. In fact, I've been into NJ on and off since 2000 in observer mode at Diablo games. Marty is not shrub or a backup masquerading as a starter as so many people out on AOL and the Internet like to claim he is. It's insane what people are saying and it's not far, damn it.

With the retirements of Patty and Dom, there are only two truly elite goalies left in the NHL at this point...............Marty Brodeur and Crazy Eddie Belfour. In that EXACT order. The rest are two, three, four, or more steps behind.

Being elite is all about delivering in the clutch and coming up with the monster games when all the marbles are on the line for your team and the cup is in the house. Marty has done that in three out of four finals appearances for NJ. Three out of four ain't nuthin' to snort at baby because it equals out to three Lord Stanley championships out of four tries over an eight year period. Now that's some great stuff there, if you ask me. Eliteness didn't just fall into Marty's lap on a whim.

They say that the cream always rises to the top and that's exactly what's happened with Marty and Eddie except that Marty has the three Lord Stanleys, that pretty gold Olympic medal around his neck, and the records and accolades to establish him as the absolute BEST right now.

Becoming elite is a journey that sometimes takes years. It's actually acquired to my way of thinking. When Marty back-stopped the Diablos to their first cup in 1995, he was NOT an elite goalie at that time. No bloody way. All anyone knew was that he was the new kid on the block and a very, very talented young goaler, who had taken his team on the ultimate ride on their way to the top of the NHL. No one knew if he would ever pass that way again or if he would disappear off the face of the earth, never to be seen on the NHL radar again among the greats.

It takes years of toil, sweat, tears, injuries, and just plain damn hard work to become an elite goalie in the NHL and by GOD has Marty accomplished that. He's a warrior in every sense of the word. I know that he doesn't have the individual hardware that Patty Roy has under his belt, but Marty can't help that. It's not his fault that the media and the NHL so badly ignores and snubs him, when the Vezinas and the Smythes are handed out. He just quietly does his job, grins and bounces like a kid for joy, and plays the position better than anyone I have ever seen, except Patty and Dom. It's a testament to, shall we say, Marty's eliteness.

As for Giguere? He's definitely going to lead the way for the future wave of young goalies showing up on the horizon, but his situation is one to watch with much keen interest as it plays out because he's set the bar so high for himself with his performance this season in the playoffs, that everyone is going to expect a cup out of him, NOW, not LATER. There's going to be a lot of pressure on Giguere next season, a lot. It's going to be interesting to see how he holds up under it.

Even if Giguere had won the cup, I would not have extended the title of elite to him because he would not have earned it yet. He would have had to kept working, sweating, agonizing, paying the price, and exceeding expectations for another cup and another and another. It would not have simply fallen into HIS lap on a whim either. You don't stumble into eliteness, you earn it.

For now, for the present, there is Marty and there is Eddie. The only two truly elite goalies left standing. And Marty is the absolute BEST.

When Patty retired, the torch was passed, and Marty caught it.

IceThief :evil:

Part Two: The Stats Tell The Story follows later on tonight.

[ Well said IceThief. I can't help but think that the lack of respect is a Jersey thing. ]

I would hope that that's not the reason that Marty is constantly overlooked and snubbed, because if it is damn the media AND the NHL for being that narrow-minded and spiteful that they would ignore a player's individual accomplishments as if they didn't even exist.

And thanks for the compliment, DevsRgreat. I'm used to taking notes and recording stats out the butt because I'm a free-lance hockey writer, who has followed the Diablos back and forth across country between NJ and The Pond on their road to the cup.

I'll be back later on tonight with the stats post.

IceThief :evil: